“Good breakfast, good rooms”
Review of Edsa Shangri-La

Edsa Shangri-La
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mandaluyong
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This hotel is a nice place to return to after getting stuck in the amazing traffic of Manila. Service always comes with a smile which helps the overall experience greatly. I stayed in the Garden Wing Deluxe room which is excellently equipped but is slightly smaller than the rooms in the Makati Shangrila. The breakfast spread at HEAT is enormous and I would recommend all to book rooms with breakfast included.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dustbusters

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I have been all around due to my business travels. I could still say The Edsa Shangri-la is something to look forward to when in the Philippines. Their location is right smack dab in the middle of Pasig. Just perfect if you are going north or south of Manila. During my last stay, I was lucky enough to be checked in the garden wing with a slight upgrade to a suite since, as always, they were fully booked. The room was clean and comfortable and just right for my energetic little kid to run around. Personnel was again as always, commendable and courteous and always ready to lend a helping hand.

Me and my wife was lucky enough to experience the "Chi Spa" during our last visit. The experience was no less than exquisite. Simply relaxing and worth every penny you pay for.

Breakfast the next day was a fiesta with all the choices at the Heat restaurant. Honestly due too so much I ate for breakfast, I was not able to eat lunch and skip my dinner!!!

The Edsa Shang is still one of my favorite hotels and I am quite sure you will have a good time spending either a weekend with the family or for business there!

Room Tip: If you are there just to relax, request for a room in the Garden Wing. It will be worth it!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bladebro
Patrick S, General Manager at Edsa Shangri-La, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Bladebro,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience regarding you and your wife's recent stay at Edsa Shangri-La, Manila.

I was delighted to read the details about your stay, your experience at CHI, your dining experience, and specially about our helpful staff.

Please know that we value your feedback and that you are very important to us. On behalf of the rest of my team, I look forward to welcoming you in the future to once again delight your experience.

With best wishes,

Patrick Schaub

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We spent a night at EDSA Shangri-la after the hotel's kiddie Easter event. We took a room at the Tower Wing. At the time of check-in, I didnt know that the said wing was being renovated. The hotel aims to complete the renovation of the said wing by the 4th quarter of 2013. I only found out upon reading a note in the room. Thankfully, there was no renovation work on Easter. I noticed the sound of construction the next day, after coming back from breakfast and a swim. This must have been at 11am or so. I would have appreciated information about it on the website as I did an on-line reservation, at least to make a more informed choice...but since I didn't stay in the room that long, it didnt matter much.

The room itself was a good size for my daughter and myself but would have been quite tight had another adult been around. The bathroom has a tub and basic amenities and is on the small side even for my just the 2 of us.

The Easter event for kids (Return to Oz, 11am-3pm) was well-planned and nicely executed. My 4-year old daughter enjoyed the activities, which included egg and hat/basket decorating, glitter tattoo and face painting, Easter egg hunting, parlour games and a magic show. What I appreciated about the event was that there was enough space and time to do most everything. Lunch was basically kiddie-heaven with mac and cheese, peanut butter sandwich, and sweets galore. I would have appreciated a vegetable dish though, since my daughter (maybe unlike most kids) loves vegetables.

The hotel pool area felt like an oasis! It is well-maintained and big enough to share with other guests.

The staff is helpful and cheery. Service is good enough for a hotel of its size. Translation: the staff is friendly but dont expect too much personalised service.

Since the hotel is located in the heart of a thriving district, it is easy to walk to malls, get a ride, watch a movie. The downside is the traffic if you wish to commute.

Room Tip: If you want zero construction noise any time of the day choose the Garden Wing over the Tower Wing...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tina P

Dear Tina P,

Thank you for sharing with us your recent experience at Edsa Shangri-La, Manila. We are delighted to learn that your daughter enjoyed our Easter Party activity.

Please know that you are very important to us and we take your feedback very seriously. We hope to welcome you back when the renovations on our Tower Wing guest rooms have concluded by the fourth quarter of the year, when it will be a fresh opportunity for us to delight your experience.

With all best wishes,

Patrick Schaub

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The rooms was ok, since im not expecting too much based on my experience in Shangrila KL. But just like Shangrila KL their buffet is superb! Everything was delicious, and there's lot of food. Their waffles is so fluffy and yummy!

The staff are very friendly and akways willing to help. I always decline their help since what Im carrying is not that heavy. But they are always there in case you need anything.

Their pool was great too, I managed to snooze for almost 30mins lying in one of the vacant lounge chairs.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed a week for business in March and took a Horizon Deluxe room. Loved that wifi was free all around the hotel and in the room, and there was still a LAN cable that came in handy when I needed to email large files for work. I appreciated the fresh fruit (specifically the bananas and mangos) that got topped up almost every day. Bathroom was a little dated but clean and toiletries are by L’Occitane. Unlike some who have mentioned before, my TV was a flatscreen LCD, and with enough cable channels to have something for everybody. There’s also a DVD player, but I didn’t try it out. The writing desk had a drawer with very quaint stationery in it, old-fashioned glue, ruler and scissors included.

My stay included free laundry services of which I took full advantage once I discovered that they seem to have a magical ability to remove the lingering sweat smell from a couple of my t-shirts. Which reminds me that I need to drop them an email to ask what miraculous washing detergent they used.

Tried both the club lounge breakfast and the breakfast at the ground floor café; both were very good. At the lounge, there was a self-serve section with fruit, cold cuts, salad, juices, cereal and some hot dishes. There was also a menu for cooked-to-order breakfast dishes like eggs benedict, bacon, hashbrowns and pancakes at no extra charge. The breakfast buffet at the main café downstairs was quite large and varied, with a notably generous “bread wall” and some Filipino dishes if you would like to sample the local cuisine.

Was very pleased that there were 2 malls flanking the hotel, which give you more dinner options. Note that SM Mega Mall performs security checks when you enter, and during rush hour the queues can stretch a bit (though they move quite fast). The Shaw Boulevard MRT-3 station is just next to Shangri-La Plaza and useful for zipping into Makati City on a whim. If you’re female, go right to the first carriage of the train as it’s reserved for women. There’s another mall across the road from the Shangri-La Plaza, but it’s rather run down and only filled with people hawking dubious electronic wares and clothes of uncertain origin.

The service here is friendly, welcoming and you’ll always be greeted with a smile.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Right smack at the middle of Metro Manila, EDSA Shangri-la has always been one of our go to places if we want to have some time off from our busy work schedule.

Check-in:
The check-in process is relatively easy, since we called in ahead to reserve a room, it's just a matter of presenting your identification and signing in their "guest card." Service starts at the doorway of the hotel where they gladly assisted us with our luggage.

The Room:
We initially took a room at the 15th floor knowing that there are on-going room renovations just below us, after being reassured that there would be minimal noise during our stay. We checked in late in the afternoon and was pleasantly surprised that there was no noise. BUT, it was a different story the following day. I guess "minimal" is a relative word, as we thought that the noise of the renovation was very distracting. When we informed front desk about this, they immediately moved us to a higher floor where the noise was reduced to a bearable level.

The room amenities were what we would expect from any 5 star hotel (toiletries, hair dryer, towels, hot iron and an ironing board, a safe, and some bottles of water). What was nice though was the bowl of fruit and a personalized welcome card.

The Pool:
This is one of the things that draws us back. The pool, for us, has that feel that you are staying at a resort far from the city. The place is very quiet and the staff is very attentive and accommodating.

Breakfast:
The included breakfast is top notch, the only downside to it is that there are too many dishes to choose from, all of which is worth the dilemma.

Service:
Overall, the service we experienced was in a class of its own, we could feel the sincerity of the staff to help us.

Can't wait to go back, especially once all the renovation is done.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms in the garden wing or at the top floor of the tower wing (18th floor) to minimize t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Its been years since i last came here...but the service is still the same, some got better....the wifi service is better, and what i like best they accommodate guest very well...the staffs are friendly...they have very nice toilets as well....big enough for people who are attending events here

The rooms are cosy and comfortable and good for friends, family and family with kids =)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
Marco Polo Ortigas Manila
Makati Shangri-La Manila
Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila
Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines
The Peninsula Manila
The Peninsula Manila
#6 of 86 in Makati
New World Makati Hotel

Been to Edsa Shangri-La? Share your experiences!