“Good hotel in bad city”
Review of Edsa Shangri-La

Edsa Shangri-La
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mandaluyong
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Its a good hotel in Manila or I must say in Phillipines, Best part of my visit to Manila was only hotel stay. Staff is very good, many things to do in hotel itself, rooms are big. The best thing is wine collection in bar, they are having separate wine bar with a very good ambiance.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank drmmunjal
There are newer reviews for Edsa Shangri-La

Reviewed December 1, 2012

More than anything else, this hotel has the most amazing breakfast buffet spread. Literally cuisines from anywhere and everywhere in the world. I would stay there again longer just to spend more time at the buffet! :-)

Other than that, a good hotel, good location (right in the middle of the city, and next to the Asian Development Bank and two huge malls). The lobby area is super crowded all the time though and makes it obvious that this hotel is the place to hang out for a lot of meetings social or professional.

Service is very good, rooms are comfortable, well appointed, and the swimming pool area is a real oasis. I shall stay here again if the occasion ever arises.

3  Thank ssraja
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Only the HEAT restaurant is worth the stay. As others wrote, there is a mold /damp smell in the air which I think made me sick (Garden Wing). Bathrooms are bad, with little hot water. Only old fashioned TV's, with bad cable quality. TOTALLY overpriced. I think I will try the Makati Shang next time.

1  Thank Wimster
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This review is in regards to my stay at this hotel from Nov 17-23. My stay was on level 12 of the Garden Wing.

My son and I were greeted at the airport by a representative from the hotel. I was addressed professionally and with a smile. Upon arriving at the hotel, we were greeted with a smile by Bernadette, who ushered us straight into our Horzon Club room. This immediately brought a smile to my face, walking right past the people checking in at the front desk, etc. Our bags came with us and didn't leave our sight. We were briefed on a few details before Bernadette left us in our room.

Our room itself was well kept, medium to large and more than adequate. Modern. With a 30-something inch LED or LCD tv. Nice to see the bathroom accessories are L'Occitane, which my wife loves, but unfortunately she's not with us on this trip.

My son and I had some late nights and sampled the in-room dining two of the nights we were here. We were informed of approx. how long the order will take to get to our room. When the waiters arrived, they set up the table and arranged everything nicely before leaving. Again, service with a smile.

Thanks to my maternal grandmother, I have always stayed at 5 star hotels overseas. The most recent being Makati Shang. It is the little gestures - the attention to certain details that for me, show how good a hotel's staff are.

One of those that I mentioned in a previous review is how they handle my son's soft toys. They're always on the bed wherever we go. Some places just throw them in a heap on a chair. Here, we were delighted every day to see them arranged in playful ways. It became the talk of my son and my nieces how his toys might be arranged when we got back to the room. Two of the days, towels were folded into animals and placed with his toys. Kudos to you, EDSA Shang.

The pool staff were attentive. My son knows how to swim so they wouldn't have needed saving, but we were greeted courteously and the banana lounge was covered in a towel for me before sitting down to do my work while the little man made good use of the water slide.

During the entire stay, it was nice to not only be addressed by name, but also for them to remember my son's name when visiting the Horizon Lounge in the Garden Wing. Thank you to Bernadette and Jackie at the Horizon Lounge for being so accomodating and helpful. Jackie in particular one-upping our simple requests to go the extra mile consistently.

It's service like this that earns my loyalty.

Check-out is the only thing I wish was as smooth as check-in. I was told to drop the room card at the front desk, which was busy so I had to wait just to hand my room cards in. It would be nice to just leave them in the room like in some hotels for quick check-out. I had already paid all dues the night before check-out.

Room Tip: Choose a Horizon Club room. It's worth it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank norme73
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I'm currently staying at this hotel, in my room, writing this review because when i first arrived i was disappointed, and wasn't happy with my room. The hotel is dated, and is in the process of being upgraded (there is construction going on in the tower rooms).

One of the reasons why i booked a room at a Shangri-La hotel is because i stayed at the Shangri-La in Vancouver - Canada, and assumed that the one in the Philippines would be just as nice. Unfortunately, i wasn't too happy, and called the front desk to talk to a manager. The manager arrived in my room in about 15 minutes, and listened to my concerns. He was apologetic, and wanted to do his best to ensure that i was a happy guest. The hotel was fully booked and wasn't able to move me into another room right away, but he worked really hard at making sure that he could fix the problem. All of the rooms in the hotel were fully booked, but said that he would ensure that he will do his best at moving me to another room as soon as possible. The on duty manager acted in a professional manner and did a good job at handling the situation with a difficult customer. The Manager's name is Warren and should be recognized for his hard work. I was later notified that i would be moved to another room. The message was passed to another manager because Warren's was shift was about to end. The new on-duty manager assisted my move to another room and i was very happy. His name is Rowal (i think i got the spelling wrong - sorry!), and throughout my stay i bumped into him a few times in the hallways (assisting me in additional room request and hotel services) and just to say hello. Each time we meet, he was very friendly and wanted me to be happy and feel welcomed. He does a good job at handling all the many difficult customers and problems that land on his desk. I was later contacted my Sridhar - Director of Rooms, and came to me to apologize for the room that i was originally booked into, and said it was his fault for not ensuring that the room was not up to the high standards that Shangri-La offers. I wasn't looking for anymore apologies, but Sridhar took the time to follow up with unhappy customer and wanted to make sure that everything was better. The hotel is a 20 year old property, and once the room renovations are complete, i think all of the other negative reviews that you read on tripadvisor will disappear.

Besides some of the dated rooms which need remodelling (which are in the process of being upgraded), the hotel amenities are great, and the location is good. I spent some time by the pool, and found it to be relaxing with a nice atmosphere. If you wish to do some shopping, SM MegaMall is just next door (a quick 3 minute walk). The mall is HUGE and has lots of stores and restaurants to choose from. There is also the Shangri-La Plaza Shopping Mall. At first i thought it was just a small hotel type of mall, but its a very LARGE mall with lots of everything. On my first day of arriving the philippines, i went here to buy a local sim card for my iPhone. All the major cell phone carriers have storefronts next door to each other. I picked up a SMART sim card for only 40 pesos and bought some load (lucky, they had nano sized sim cards that fit into iPhone 5's).

If your looking for a bit of adventure to see how the locals live, it might be kind of fun to take the public train system (called MRT), and then a Jeepeny (kind of like a open air mini bus type of car) to Mall of Asia (the largest mall in Asia). Just make sure you keep your cell phone, jewellery, and anything valuable in your pocket at all times. I only recommend doing this during the day time, and be very careful. The hotel is connected to Shangri-La Plazza Mall though a covered walkway type of bridge which is protected by security, and the MRT is connected to the Shangri-La Mall (so it's quite easy and safe to get to the MRT - just ask for directions in the mall). It cost 12 pesos for a one-way ticket to Taft Avenue (you'll be going south bound - it's the very last stop, and you'll see everyone get off the train). once you exit the train station, you will see people on the street holding a sign saying "Mall of Asia" yelling at the top of there lungs. You will notice people jumping into the jeepeny with the words printed on the side saying "Mall of Asia." Give the driver 8 pesos, and off you go to the largest mall in all of asia. I recommend keeping some loose change in your pocket so that you don't have to take out your wallet/purse, and that way you don't have to worry about breaking large bills and getting the correct change. once your done at mall of asia, i would just take a taxi back to the hotel. one time using the public transit system is enough, and if you have shopping bags with you, you don't want to worry about them getting stolen or lost. If you have any questions, simply ask the concierge for help and directions.

I'm having a great stay, and the management team is professional and curious. If you have a problem, just ask for help nicely, and they will be glad to help. The location is good if you like shopping because of the large malls next door with lots of restaurants and stores to choose from.

Travel tip: If you need local currency, you can charge your credit card to this hotel for a maximum of US$250 for free if you register for their free hotel membership card.

Room Tip: if your worried about construction noise, pick the garden wing - or bring some ear plugs.
1  Thank bigchina
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I was picked up at the airport by a hotel car. Most welcome after a day's travel from LHR. Upon arrival it appeared that I was staying on a building site, but as soon as I entered the hotel all was well (after being semi-frisked by security, naturally. I ended up staying in the Garden Wing on the 14th floor (Club floor). As club rooms go, this was quite dated, although did still offer all the comforts one could ask for from a hotel. The bed wasn't the best I have experienced in a hotel but was adequate. My air conditioning was not working for the first night but once reported it was fixed very quickly and a note left by maintenance which was a nice touch.

The club lounge (and breakfast) was excellent although I did not get to sample the offerings of an evening. I was surprised that evening service ends at 7pm - given Manila's traffic and business people's work schedule I felt this a touch mean spirited.

The service at the hotel is exemplary. I have never met nicer, more courteous staff. I would visit this hotel again purely for that reason when returning to Manila on business.

Breakfast in the club lounge was great, including an a la carte menu as well as a buffet (not the typical western fry up which was nice). The coffee is excellent. I didn't get to try the HEAT restaurant unfortunately but it looked good.

The hotel pool looked really impressive and considering how built up Manila is, there was a good amount of sunlight all day long (from what I saw of it anyhow). I can't speak regarding what the pool area was like unfortunately.

Worth noting that when returning to the airport, you have to pay 550PHP (thanks to the very kind assistant on check out for telling me this!!).

Room Tip: The Garden Wing rooms are a bit dated but also the club lounge is much quieter which is nice. The hi...
1  Thank NJ1984
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Having stayed in multiple Shangri-La hotels in Asia including the one in Makati, I find this Shangri-La in need of some fine tuning. The service was nice and friendly but when I was getting out of the cab no one offered to take my luggage from me and I had to carry it all the way up to the Horizon Club. They were really accommodating with my request except for the room preference of having me on the side away from construction probably because it was fully booked on that side for non-smoking club rooms, but then again i paid in advance more than a month from my stay. When I went to have lunch at HEAT they actually took 10 mins to find my table even if I did reserve ahead of time as I am well aware that their lunch buffet is really popular. Overall the trip was nice, the club rooms seem newly renovated and refreshed, the service was nice and it can really be considered 5-star, but its the finer things that make Shangri-La different from other 5-star hotels, and this property needs some of that.

Room Tip: As much as possible request for a room away from construction side.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank jayEmTraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
The Peninsula Manila
#6 of 85 in Makati
Walled City
The Manila Hotel
The Manila Hotel
#5 of 109 in Manila

Been to Edsa Shangri-La? Share your experiences!