“Edsa Shangri-La: Smart choice when in Ortigas (Pasig, Metro Manila) area”
Review of Edsa Shangri-La

Edsa Shangri-La
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mandaluyong
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Edsa Shangri-la Manila is one of the better hotels in the Philippine capital and largest metropolis, offering value for money in terms of service, facilities and product choices.

Rooms are very clean and well-appointed, with each one giving good views of the Ortigas Business Districts (although rooms facing the Greenhills/Wack Wack Mandaluyong area is recommended because at least you see more trees and spaces, not just neighboring buildings).

The lobby is spacious as well. Typical of the Shangri-La brand, you will be greeted by a lush garden at the foreground of the lobby coffee shop.

It is also a paradise for foodies. Superb restos, wide array of choices, such as Senju for Japanese food, Summer Palace for Chinese. For more and mixed options, Heat Restaurant is for you. Personally loved Heat because of the choices. Another favorite for my company meetings is the lobby coffee shop--serves the best coffee and cookies in town!

The convenience and being beside world-class malls (Shangri-La Mall and SM Megamall) and within a vibrant central business district is a plus for those who love shopping and those with transactions in any of the multinational located in the area.

Hotel staff are genuinely friendly and efficient. Always smling :)

Best all of all, you get of these for competitive rates: for as low at P6,000+++ (local resident ratre)!

What Idont like about it lately is that the owners of the Shangri-La complex decided to erect a building beside it, demolishing a parking lot dotted with trees and distracting portions of the Wack Wack view. Also the complex itself feels so crowded.

In all, Edsa Shangri-La Manila is a smart choice for a seasoned traveller. You get world-class service and amenities for competitive rates.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Edsa Shangri-La

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed in this hotel before and had enjoyed meals at The Heat for numerous times. But what makes this particular hotel quite different from the rest, is how it would make you feel even after you left it.

Checking in is definitely a breeze. The one at the front desk, Rizza, is so helpful and was gracious enough to offer us an upgrade of room when our room of choice was found to be fully booked. Upon learning of our previous stay, she courteously offered us a discount for this upgrade!

The room is clean, a bowl of fresh fruits was given as a welcome gesture. The bathroom is clean as well and boasts a good brand of toiletries. We had a good sleep, the room is both quiet and comfortably cool.

If you wish to shop at the Shangrila mall, there is a connecting bridge from the hotel to the mall. A dry way to reach the mall even with a heavy downpour.

The hotel staff are very polite and helpful. How I wish they can get to lecture this demeanor to the staff of a certain hotel where I stayed last year! Breakfast at The Heat is just as expected... Heavenly!

After our stay, the hotel sent us an email, inquiring about our experience. This is what counts a lot! Their attention to these details, inquiring even after you left, etc., simply puts the hotel and its management a echelon higher than the rest.

Room Tip: Get rooms from the Horizon area
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank doc4kids_11
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Loved this hotel. Just stayed for one night on a stop-over on our way home and couldn't be happier. Staff greet you at every corner with big smiles. The rooms are clean and gorg. The bed was SO comfortable. The fitness centre was great and the pool reminded me of Vegas. Especially loved how it is attached to a big mall with amazing shopping.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Christine N
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Me and my friends stayed here for 3 days and wished we could have stayed longer but we already booked our flights to Davao.. The lobby was immaculate. The rooms were great and the buffet breakfast was amazing... The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Check out took too long, though... Nevertheless we enjoyed our stay.We're planning to go back maybe in a couple of months..

Room Tip: Don't worry about being late for the buffet breakfast because they never run out of food!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Daniel G
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 5 nights for work. The room I got was really old, with a cathode ray tube TV! However, the little touches of fresh fruits everyday, milk, fresh chocs, & cookies more than made up for its shortfall. The attention paid to details in the housekeeping was excellent too. Breakfast was top notch; so many choices I had to walk around for 5min on the first morning to pick what I want!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank aurora26
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Not much to say, but I was treated like royalty. Staff are super nice and helpful. Amenities and location are superb. Pool enclosure is a little oasis in the midst of the large city. Checking in and out was very fast. The breakfast selection is very large and diverse. The gym is outstanding. The connections to two malls (Megamall and Shangri-La Plaza) means that anything you need is close.

There is much construction adjacent to the hotel, but this was limited to business days which affected me little.

Also the rooms seem a little worn down, but this affected me little as well.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KyleAR
Reviewed October 23, 2012

After reading some of the reviews about outdated rooms I was a little worried- however my fears were soon gone.
We arrived at the hotel mid afternoon to a very warm welcome and were escorted to the check-in desk after passing through security. My King room was not ready but I was offered a welcome drink in the lobby while I waited. As the room was taking a while I was offered another room to relax in until mine was ready. It did take a few hours which was my only gripe.
I stayed in a horizon room in the garden room and was very impressed. It was fresh and modern. I was working at night and sleeping during the day. The room was quiet and when the curtains were closed there was no light in the room either. A quick phone call and my room was cleaned- even at night. I also had access to the business centre and horizon lounge.
The choices for breakfast were amazing and this was a real highlight.
The Shangri La mall is connected via a walkway and a highscale shopping area. A few hundred yards away is MegaMall.
If the rooms that people have complained about are upgraded to the same level as the room I stayed in it will be an amazing hotel for everyone.
I did complete the survey for the hotel and mentioned the long wait for my room- they replied within 24 hours and have been most helpful. I will stay here again for my next visit to Manila.

Room Tip: Horizon rooms in the Garden Wing are great.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BennyBlue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
The Peninsula Manila
#6 of 86 in Makati
Walled City
The Manila Hotel
The Manila Hotel
#5 of 109 in Manila

Been to Edsa Shangri-La? Share your experiences!