“Getting more comfortable with each stay again ...”
Review of Edsa Shangri-La

Edsa Shangri-La
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mandaluyong
Reviewed August 31, 2012

it has been 4 years since i made a negative review about this hotel , and it was only last year until now that we used to frequent the hotel for weekend stays ( the condo unit that we own fronting the hotel and connecting to the mall was now under a leasing/rental agreement for a year ) , and i would claim that much has improved since that time , ..i liked the garden wing room that i booked for my family , airconditioning was very good , lighting and fixtures much complete , i like the piped in sound in the bathroom from the huge lcd television and the very comfortable beds ..even though the bath and shower tub are not separate ,just fine with me. they have a sofa which can be actually converted into a pull out bed...reservation that i had was handled out smoothly this time... a connecting bridgeway comprising of elevator and an escalator to the shangrila mall was actually a nice touch ( how about a bridge way to the sm megamall ?) , many shops and several high end restaurants can be found in the hotel , and there was even a cozy bookstore / mini coffeeshop can be found in the ground floor ... there was an abundance of personnel , and most of them are friendly , .. maybe making elevators accesible by card keys would be much better in terms of security... and lastly, 2 things that i like about this hotel aside from the location and its staff ... FREE wireless internet and the breakfast buffet (one of the best ) ...

Room Tip: ask for rooms with pool view , or staying in the garden wing would be cool
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,874)

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I've used this hotel on other occasions as well as it is conveniently located to the business district I need to visit. It always amazes me how many employees the hotel has: from about 20 staff outside, a lobby filled with hostesses, door openers, lift attendants, etc. etc. and they all are very friendly and professional. full marks to the staff and the people who train them.

This is a huge hotel, and it is always very busy. Many (many!) restaurants, some sit-down, some buffet style, all with quality food. Well equipped, large fitness centre with dedicated staff.

So why the average rating? Well, first of all, this hotel is expensive, you easily pay PHP9000 a night (around US$215). For that amount, you should expect the best there is in Asia. But the rooms are seriously outdated and disappointing!Your room is where (as a business traveller) you would spend most of your time. If you enter your room, it looks like you are stepping back in time to arrive in the late 80-ties.

Seriously, an old mid-size, non-interactive CRT television in a top-class hotel in 2012? A small kettle with some instant coffee? A desk phone from the 80-ties with such poor quality that conference calls are all but impossible? A shower in your bath which doesn't even reach shoulder level so you need to kneel to wash your hair? Free paper but I would expect the FT and not some local paper.

I understood that they are renovating (parts) of the hotel. I really hope they put in place what many (US/European) hotels already put in place: dedicated showers.(I have *never* met anyone who takes a bath in those hotels) Large LCD TV set with interactivity (movies or radio and/or online account info). Modern phone. A programmable alarm clock. Fresh new carpets in neutral colours (why do they always pick purple?) Maybe put some interesting artwork on the walls?

I hope next year all is better, or I will move to the nearby Crowne Plaza

Room Tip: Ask for any of the renovated rooms when they become available.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Dibaco
isis629, Public Relations Manager at Edsa Shangri-La, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your insights about our hotel.

We are pleased to inform you that renovation of our rooms at the Tower Wing are ongoing to provide you with a more pleasurable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Edsa Shangri-La, Manila.

Henry Lee

Lesley Tan
Director of Communications

Reviewed August 28, 2012

...I wrote a review on this hotel last year, and I sung praises about it then!

As always the hotel facilities are amazing! Beautiful features and scents really compliment the brands ethos. However, on this occasion, service was a little slop. When I got out of my cab, nobody really helped me with my luggage. I carried a 75 ltr back pack, which is almost the size of a teenager! Clearly they noticed the bag but nobody for concierge came to greet me or offer any assistance. It was only until I got to the reception when I placed my backpack down did someone from concierge come and assist me. Check in was smooth and the lovely receptionist was polite and quick.

The room was beautiful and clean. I checked in with a group of lads and therefore got a twin room and an extra bed. I met some relatives for dinner that night who were staying in the same hotel. When I got back to my room, someone had turned down our beds and placed the slippers and matts appropriately next to the foot of our beds: nice touch Shang! :)

Again, I was disappointed with service at breakfast. The boys and myself, three of us, went down to the all you can eat buffet at Heat (which is amazeballs!). I requested that my relatives be seated with us as we would all dine together. The boys and I ordered our teas and coffees and go started on the buffet. When my relatives did join us we were side-lined by the staff. They're coffee orders were brought straight away and fresh fruit/food were placed at their end of the table. My Godfather had to remind the waiter about our tea n coffee orders. I felt that the waiter/esses paid more attention to the VIPs (my relatives) than my group. I didn't take it personally, but it was a bit embarrassing to have to constantly ask for top ups when my relatives had a constant flow of OJ and coffee without any request.

Having said that... the rest of our stay, albeit short, was okay and check out was quick. The pool was great and the ambience around it is so nice. Just remember that the hotel is situated next to busy roads and a construction site of some kind of mall or hotel, so don't expect to get peaceful laze by the pool...

P.s. if you can, take away as many of the toilet amenities as you can, no not the toilet seat, but the lotions, bath gel and soap... they smell great!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank don_dukes
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I told you ill be back. Stayed at this fabulous hotel last May with my family. Stayed for 3 days and 2 nights. The first night is a bit crowded coz i think they have a mothers day special or something, but the succeeding days we felt like the pool belongs to us. Pool attendant and life savers are always present and very attentive and helpful. Always have clean towels.

The Heat as always... NEVER DISAPPOINTS... fresh, delicious, so many choices, and complete. Though i miss the drink all you can section... hahaha...

Room Tip: For me having a corner suite is the best specially if its facing mega mall (sorry i dont know what w...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Oh my gosh - what a wonderful hotel. My husband and I travelled to Manila to attend a wedding and the Edsa Shangri-la was recommended by the groom as being close to the church and to the wedding reception venue which in Manila traffic seems to be very important,

We were greeted by the Edsa Shangri-la representative at the airport, despite our flight being over an hour late arriving. Our transport was there waiting for us. On arrival at the hotel we were met by a member of the reception staff who had all our details to hand and took us straight to our assigned room and we were checked in there. From the doormen to the porters to the lovely ladies who call the lifts for you we were greeted with large smiles. it was a really nice experience,

The room was large and spacious and well equipped with everything we needed. The bed was huge and so comfortable having spent the last week in mainland China sleeping on rock hard mattresses.

We did not eat at any of the restaurants in the hotel as the Edsa Shangri-la is connected to two of the largest shopping malls in South East Asia. I did however attend the inhouse hairdresser and beauty salon to prepare for the wedding we were attending. The service here was excellent but I would recommend that the hotel invest some money in refurbishment of this area. It was a disappointment which was a letdown from the overall look of the hotel.

Security at the hotel and in the connecting malls is very tight so if you are a nervous traveller you will either feel safe with the obvious presence of the security or even more nervous as all the security (even in individual shops in the malls) are carrying rifles and handguns.

If we were to travel to Manila again, I would definitely book Edsa Shangri-la

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed here for 2 weeks during a business trip and left wanting to go back. The hotel room was nice and clean but the staff is what pushed it from good to great. No matter what request I had they handled quickly and to my satisfaction. Everytime I walked the halls or into the hotel I was greated with great enthuisasm. I honestly felt like a celebrity while I was there, it was a bit hard to come back to the US!

Last thing to say is the buffet is amazing. It has every type of food that you can imagine. They also put out both breakfast and dinner food in the morning, which I appreciated since I worked nights while I was there. It is a top notch place to stay for business travelers and vacationers alike.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank luke f
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed there for 3 night with my work. Lovely rooms, nice view from windows and lovely pool and garden area. Breakfas consists of every possible combination you could think of... and more. Never had donner , but I imagine it owuld be good. Try using the local restaurants. handy for shpos etc but a bit far from my offices in Eastwood. Hotel run cars were good, though I am told they are about 4 times as expensive as normal taxis. extremely attentive staff I think I said good morning about 20 times before breakfast - the cleaner knew my name as soon as I opened the door. Rooms spotless.did not see much of Manila apart from some walking around the hotel - maybe next time...

Room Tip: High room away from road noice
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Benjy1063
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
Marco Polo Ortigas Manila
Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines
Makati Shangri-La Manila
Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila
New World Makati Hotel
The Peninsula Manila
The Peninsula Manila
#5 of 86 in Makati

Been to Edsa Shangri-La? Share your experiences!