“Second Stay: True City Escape!”
Review of Edsa Shangri-La

Edsa Shangri-La
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mandaluyong
Reviewed September 23, 2011

One word: CONSISTENCY. This hotel truly is so brilliantly genuine with their service. Really delivers. :D I've never had that experience of being inside a hotel in my own country and feel like im on a vacation abroad! Stepping inside the hotel doors is like being in a big kickass spa where you can just smell: RELAX! I don't know what they're spraying in their halls but it's terrific! In fact i want it in my own home. It smells like baby powder mixed with a fresh relaxing scent perfect for that getaway. As usual, check in was easy breezy and oh yeah all smiles! And of course, I was fortunate enough to spot the sweet helpful girl at the front desk from last time, Charlene, who very graciously helped me find all the ways and facilities -again!- to get me through my weekend getaway with my family - CHI, gym, pool for the kiddies, restaurants bakeshop for my sweet tooth and even the cute Cafe outside with the nook bookstore. (Just like I said before, this girl is bar none the best at front desk on all my hotel experiences and very helpfully assisted me when my iphone couldnt connect to the wifi. also thanks to wifi guy who came into my room and took care of it like in a snap! :D and the other front desk staff - Anne, Rizza and Wella - who all look like they should belong to a beauty pageant or something but all so accomodating as well.) Not that I need to say it but YEah, Service is still excellent! Of all the hotel staff uniform ive seen, theirs was really excellent and classy. Not at all like "this is a uniform" but like a filipino outfit thats really classy. I love it. Makes me feel more like being pampered by luxury.

Room at Tower Wing was big and has a his and hers lavatory separate bathtub and shower (tho i must say the shower pressure was not that strong boohoo) and luxurious bidet hehehe Bed was excellent tho really the tv really needs some replacing. It was an old big bulky TV, and though the furniture was well taken care of, it was a bit outdated and a shame for the price of the room. A couch and two sitting chairs comfy for some reading.

Tho i really must suggest some sort of smoking lounge aside from the Horizon Lounge since its a bummer to have to go far to get some drags on my ciggies.

Overall, I still really love this hotel and for sure there will be a reservation again in my name :D yipyip!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Edsa Shangri-La

Reviewed September 18, 2011

What do you expect from a 5 star hotel? Definitely service. You will get your morning papers, get your morning greetings via name from the housekeeping, food variety for breakfast, tight security and a nice scent while waiting for a taxi.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Mokette
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Shangri-La in chinese history is a place for relaxation, communicating with the inner self. Manila has become my second home for traveling, This time I stayed in Shangri-la Edsa, closer to the famous SM malls, quite convenient location. Below is my point by point reviews:

1. Lobby. is wow!
2. Concierge very helpful with direction, and voluntary asking to take picture of you. since im travelling solo this time.
3. Breakfast is yummy
4. Rooms clean and spacious
5. Toilet is bright and clean.
6. Beds are a bit hard. but that really depends on your sleeping hobbits.
7. aircon is good!
8. curtain really covers the bright and shinny light in the morning. you can see the sun from where my room is..
9. guard near the elevator is really helpful although its not really her job to open and hold the elevators for you.
10 Vallet - okay

1  Thank CarmelaTan
Reviewed August 25, 2011

When I land In manila, I do not have to worry about being picked up at the hotel, the van is always there waiting from Edsa Shangri la hotel. I have 3 children that are always with me, 2 daughters that love to shop, across the street is one fantastic mall, has everything you want and more. The restaurants in the area have such a variety, I dont worry about where to eat, what location to shop or how to get around the city.
The staff at this hotel are remarkable!! Maybe they take pity on me since im a single father with 3 children, but I know they have bent over backwards in every way to help me with directions, ideas and what events are happening that week and who can help me when i venture out on the town.
Top notch cleanliness, the restaurant is there to serve you with everyone taking a personal value in how they treat the guest. I will always use this hotel, I have tried others, but there is no comparison to other hotels.
thank you Shangri la for making our trips to the Philippines so wonderful, see you again in 2012.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank spanky6165
Reviewed August 22, 2011

A real sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of Manilla. Excellent service, nice sized rooms, a beautiful pool area and one of the best breakfast selections I have seen in Asia. Highly recommend for the business traveller. A mall next door but I didn't get time to check it out.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank HongKongCallisto
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Apologies for the long review but I want to rave about this place. We visited really close family friends @ the Shang the day before we were supposed to check in at Microtel near MOA. We loved the place so much that we dropped Micro and checked in the next day! Service-wise, I felt spoilt as I was waited on from start to end! The Filipino hospitality mixed with the Shang training is second to none- I can only describe this hotel as the Singapore Airlines of hotels. We our hotel room was on the top floor next to the Luzon suite (our mates were in there). We lived like kings, they loved us!

The restaurant: Heat- the buffet restaurant was exceedingly good! There was sushi, Filipino, British, Chinese cuisine, all cooked to perfection: we ate a lot and I do believe I had 3 rounds before having my dessert, which ranged from ice cream, halo-halo, taho, sago, fruit, cakes (need I go more). The waitress/ters kept bringing food straight from the kitchen to feed all 8 of us, which kinda defied the whole point of buffet, but whatever it was good! Breakfast was exactly the same: it was just shy from silver service: more food brought to our table: tocino, bangus, mangosteen, mango, freshly peeled lychee, dim sum, cereal, croissants, french toast, waffle, pancakes etc... again defying the buffet- lol.

Gym: was okay, I'd compare it to the lower tier of Virgin Active (for all the Brits who know VA). It was till good (there was a male aerobic instrutor who was teaching a dance class- it was more like go-go dancing: was pretty funny). Anyhoo, good facilities.

The pool: was nice and really clean, and kept me cool during the day: great bar and loungers.

I would definitely stay here again, however, we were fortunate to stay with friends who were in a suite as we were waited on like kings! The room we had was still pretty impressive and the beds, OMG the beds, were like the best ever!

The hotel decor, scent/smell, service was impeccable and I will defo be staying here once again!

Room Tip: Ask for Balikbayan rates!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank don_dukes
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I'm used to staying at the Makati Shangri-La so the Edsa location is a bit of a disappointment. The rooms in the main section of the hotel are tired and in need of a refresh. It's still fine, but not at the same level of other Shangri-La hotels. The major issue during my stay was elevator. There were several outages and in fact they simply gave up trying to fix the call buttons, nailing a plank over the non-functioning one on my floor rather than repair it.

The spa is amazing, that and the pool are the highlights of the hotel. Also, the staff is quite good, very friendly and willing to help out with anything at all.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Randy_VA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
The Peninsula Manila
#6 of 85 in Makati
Walled City
The Manila Hotel
The Manila Hotel
#5 of 109 in Manila

Been to Edsa Shangri-La? Share your experiences!