“Just ok”
Review of Edsa Shangri-La

Edsa Shangri-La
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mandaluyong
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I'm used to staying at the Makati Shangri-La so the Edsa location is a bit of a disappointment. The rooms in the main section of the hotel are tired and in need of a refresh. It's still fine, but not at the same level of other Shangri-La hotels. The major issue during my stay was elevator. There were several outages and in fact they simply gave up trying to fix the call buttons, nailing a plank over the non-functioning one on my floor rather than repair it.

The spa is amazing, that and the pool are the highlights of the hotel. Also, the staff is quite good, very friendly and willing to help out with anything at all.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Randy_VA
Write a ReviewReviews (1,874)

Reviewed August 10, 2011

The Shangrila was not my first choice. But, being a Golden Circle member, I kinda felt a little loyalty and wanted to build my points, so I gave it a try. Not to mention the special promotion of stay two nights, get a third free.

What a find. I would have gladly paid for that third night for the experience I had at the Shang. The experience starts when you first enter the expanse of the lobby, looking straight out at the two story floor to ceiling windows facing the lush garden. Immediately I wanted to drop my bags and grab me one of those fruity drinks with an umbrella.

Rooms were pretty standard, but what gives this a five star rating is what you find outside of the room - the Lobby Bar, the swimming pool set in the garden, and the breakfast buffet. Being at the swimming pool makes one forgetful. You forget everything – time, troubles, and that flight you have to take later in the day. It transports you to another zone, a zone where only happy things take place.

Then you go to the breakfast buffet, which was one of the best I have ever been to. United Nations of buffets, and this is for breakfast! Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, and Western, all rolled into one. Make a point to try this. Don’t tell them I would pay for that third night…I will be back!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank FBIAgent
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Manila is ALL urban. Oy. And then there's Edsa Shangri-La. let's start with the entrance. CUTE dogs! Then you walk in and there's the way the whole hotel's scented. I've stayed here probably about three times in the space of two years and it has the same sandalwoody scent. I don't know if it's deliberate or not but this one familiarity immediately makes me feel like I'm in someplace I always return to. And I do! I go up to my room and leap into the BIG beautiful beds. Check. After a couple hours of cuddling, we go down to the fabulous pool. What more can I say? Fabulous swimming pool is fabulous. We order a burger and fish and chips (the same, all the time). My only complaint is they don't seem to have banana ketchup. What's up with that? When I get bored of the hotel (it happens), a short walk and I'm in the Shangri-La Mall. This hotel is as perfect as perfect gets. :)

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LeroyLuar
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed as a couple in this hotel as a final treat in our otherwise budget trip to the Philippines. I'm glad we didn't start at this hotel as we felt extremely spoiled by the time we had to leave.
The staff is exceptional - well trained, friendly, happy and attentive from the moment we arrived until we took a taxi to the airport and...alas...back home.
The hotel has one of the best breakfast buffets I've experienced. Our room was fabulous. I wish we had time for all the amenities, such as the pool but we did walk around and everything looked great. If only every place had staff like EDSA Shangri-la!

Room Tip: Get a local rate if possible. Need a Philippine Passport, Residents Card, etc. We paid the locals ra...
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DraftedbytheMan
Reviewed July 29, 2011

This was my first trip to Manila and my stay at the Edsa Shangri-La made the difference - a wonderful tranquil hotel in the midst of the hustle-bustle that is Manila. Stayed 3 days back in April of this year. The entrance and lobby areas were beautiful, but not over-stated. Check-in was very simple: after the initial paperwork, one of the front-desk attendees showed me to my room and completed the check-in process - a very nice personal touch. Room was immaculate and well appointed - the best thing was the air conditioning - effective and quiet! The breakfast in HEAT was amazing - several unique stations - sushi anyone for breakfast!?!

Overall impression was fantastic - will definitely be staying at the Edsa Shangri-La on my next visit to Manila!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Juneyt C
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Rooms were clean & decent. However, room was slightly small for 2 pax. But, bearable.

Staffs were friendly & courteous, as I used their concierge service. Breakfast buffet spread was really good.

Everything was going as per what I've expected. Good job!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The breakfast is perfect try the Crepes and eggs anyway the service is a wonderful treat the staff cannot do enough
Just lay back and enjoy the trip we would go back again and again
The girls in the loby bar cannot do enough for you especially Mary Ann she looked after us every time we wanted a snack

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
Marco Polo Ortigas Manila
Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines
Makati Shangri-La Manila
Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila
New World Makati Hotel
The Peninsula Manila
The Peninsula Manila
#5 of 86 in Makati

Been to Edsa Shangri-La? Share your experiences!