“This hotel is okay, with a few maddening minor faults”
Review of BSA Twin Towers

BSA Twin Towers
Ranked #1 of 11 Mandaluyong B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Good points:
- modern, functional design (with the exception of the Studio Premiere, as mentioned below)
- best wifi I've used in any hotel so far (you can have multiple devices, it's fast, and no need to re-sign in each day)
- staff is unfailingly courteous and helpful
- breakfast buffet is barely acceptable

Bad points:
- what is it with the elevators in this place? Half of them aren't working most of the time, and their programming needs a serious re-do/update. If I'm on the 45th floor and I want to go down, after I press the down button I will wait for the elevator still going up, while the other two in operation remain motionless (even if one of them is stopped only one floor above me). What kind of sense does this make? It's a maddening issue, and it needs to be addressed TODAY.

- GET YOUR HOTEL STAFF OFF OF THE GUEST ELEVATORS, AND MAKE THEM USE THE SERVICE ELEVATOR. This applies to delivery boys, construction workers, and others. The elevators work poorly enough; when I have to stop 2 or 3 times going from the Ground floor to the 45th floor for your employees to take care of their business it is even more irritating. FIX IT!

Room Tip: Avoid the more expensive Studio Premiere layout; whoever designed this room needs to go back to arch...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for BSA Twin Towers

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I knew, from reviews I'd read from TripAdvisor, that I was taking my chances on this hotel. Its proximity to SM Megamall, where I had a seminar, was the main reason I booked a room at BSA Twin Towers.

The building has a combination of serviced apartments, condominium units and office space. The floor where I stayed had both serviced apartments and condominium units. Noise from any of the adjoining units was never a problem.

To the credit of management, a lot of the complaints I'd read about in earlier reviews seem to have been addressed by the time I stayed at the hotel (e.g., speed of the lifts), and personnel were always prompt about addressing my concerns (e.g., the cable television). Check-in was quick and efficient although in hindsight, there were many details that they should have briefed me about at that point (e.g., that I needed a special key to use the safe). One is asked to make is PhP 4,000 security deposit upon check-in. This amount is returned to the guest upon check-out, if the inspection conducted by hotel personnel reveals no damage or loss in the room. The person who helped me carry my bags into my room should have also given me more of an orientation about the room, including how to use the safe, the cable TV and what numbers to call if I had any questions.

The one bedroom unit I reserved would have been good enough for two people. There was a fully equipped kitchenette, a dining table for four and ample closet space. There was a safe in the closet but I never got around to using it as I never found the time to wait for someone to help me figure out how to use it (points to my observation above about the room orientation). The airconditioning unit could have been less noisy. There is no view to speak of unless you like looking at other skyscrapers, and the glass windows easily accumulate dust on the outside due to the traffic and construction sites in the surrounding area. There is free WiFi in the room.

The bathroom was of moderate size. Trying to get warm and not scalding hot water from the shower was tricky, and on the last day of my stay, the faucet actually fell out of the wall as I tried my last experiment at getting the water temperature right!

Buffet breakfast for two was part of the package and was served on the 8th floor of the building, in space that was probably not meant to be a dining hall. The food was decent, although some of it did not seem like typical breakfast food (e.g. salad greens), and service was prompt and courteous, but the aisles were narrow and the the room always noisy. This would not be a quiet way to start one's day!

The area surrounding the hotel is busy in the daytime but looks a little dodgy in the evening, so be alert and take normal precautions when returning from a night out.

If you are in a group and intend to spend a lot of time in the area, either shopping, attending meetings or a seminar or enjoying the countless restaurants in the vicinity, you may still wish to consider this place. Just make sure to check the faucets before using them, as you wouldn't want to have the same plumbing mishap I had in the middle of a shower!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is right in front of SM Megamall, walking distance to Podium, near ADB, and MRT. The location is great and convenient.

Unfortunately, this hotel lacks finesse and professional presence. Starting with the guard station, and right behind the post is a group of people loitering or "tambay" who can often be loud. Service employees, construction workers, delivery, and alike use the guest elevators regardless whether they can inconvenienced the guests or overwhelm the tiny elevator space with their load, smell or chattering. The room size is relatively tiny but comfortable for two. However, some materials used in the building look relatively low end and very basic, especially the water heater. On certain time of the day, the floors seem to smell (and I don't mean fragrant). The beds were relatively tiny, and felt like sleeping on a student dormitory bed. Nevertheless, we appreciate the dark blinds to allow sleeping in and the room is relatively quiet. The best part of this hotel is the free WIFI and location.

Forget the free breakfast; we tried it once on the first day and never came back.

Overall, the hotel management seems like it has no interest to look professional at all, déclassé!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My family and I were in Manila for 9 days. We stayed in the two-room suite, which is perfect for 4 people. There is a sofa in the living room so it would accommodate one more person. Wifi is accessible in the rooms only. The downside to the room is, although there are two washrooms, only one is really for showers. Also, the AC was quite noisy and it only got worse at night. But given that it's quite an old AC unit, it's understandable. So if you're a light-sleeper, this is gonna be quite annoying. The room was clean when we got there but housekeeping did not do a fantastic job with the days after. It felt a bit dusty still and the garbage was not taken out everyday. There is a small kitchenette for you to prepare food and store stuff in the fridge. We wanted to boil water and we discovered the kettle was a bit rusty! Good thing the staff replaced it immediately.

The breakfast was basic, all we had everyday was eggs, toast and fresh cut fruits. There were other foods like fried rice, porridge, etc but it was too heavy for the mornings. The staff are friendly and very helpful.

The condotel is situated right across the SM Megamall so it was convenient for shopping and finding a wide variety of eateries. Also, we never had a problem getting a taxi to visit other places. If you're coming into Manila from the Ninoy Aquino airport, I would recommend that you take the metered taxis because the voucher taxi would charge about 600 pesos, when you could arrive at this hotel under 300pesos. But we did travel off-peak hours, so be mindful of Manila traffic.

Despite some of my complaints, I would would definitely stay at BSA Twin towers again if we were back in Manila.

Also, you need to get a local sim card for your mobile, do not go to St Francis square (located next door) to get one. We got cheated by the vendors who charged us twice the usual price, and charged us 100pesos for cutting the sim for microsims! Just walk across to SM Megamall to get one instead.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle F
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We availed of the online discount. It was my son's first time in a hotel. We booked so we can let him try to swim. We stayed at the 47th floor!

Room - condotel type. Small kitchen, spacious bathroom.

View - exactly on top of the MRT. My son was so happy with the train. We had a hard time putting him to sleep.

Pool - water was cold. The good thing is you can choose from 2 pools; you just have to make few walks to go to the other pool.

Food - they have no restaurant. they offered free breakfast c/o a caterer. We had to eat outside. Maybe because it's just literally in front of SM Megamall.

Parking - we had to look at the nearby parking lots.

Others - they're children's playground is just average. There were no other children to play with. Garden area was just a garden pocket.

My son had a great time with the pool and the room. But for my husband and I, it was just average.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank h0tp1nk
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The things I love with the hotel: free wifi,good location,cleanliness
The thing I love less: the food which are sometimes monotonous,the small beds in some rooms
The thing I hate: the elevator having problems with its console. There are times your floor number entered is being skipped, and you end up having a joy ride, well there's no joy in that especially id you're in a hurry.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank VeeJ00
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Good location if you love to shop:) Very near Megamall, St. Francis and EDSA Shang rila. Breakfast and rooms are good.
If you're a newbie here you might get lost going to tower A or B so seek assistance from their crews.
Always bring your key card, you need it in the elevator to go to your room.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
Lancaster Hotel Manila
#3 of 7 in Mandaluyong
The Malayan Plaza
The Malayan Plaza
#11 of 22 in Pasig

Been to BSA Twin Towers? Share your experiences!