“something different”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Looks like everyone had tried Yabu except me! Ive always wanted to try this place. But when i try new places, im a bit demanding. I want good ambience, and maybe something really unique.

Found it all here in yabu. There's a ritual to eating (grinding the sesame seeds and mixing it with generous dollops of their special sauce...)...I makes dining more interesting. In addition, the staff are really attentive. Food portions are generous. And of course, the food is really delicious! Ate at Yabu for two consecutive days (at different branches though)

1  Thank Bernice B

Reviewed March 26, 2014

They're offering Katsu. It's the house of katsu anyway. So, I can deep-fry my own oily goodness right at home, but what makes this place special, for me, is the tenderness of their meat, I don't eat beef. Chicken is my choice of meat and then white-meat fish, and then Pork. They were so tender, I could cut them with my chopsticks. And their service is impeccable. I've eaten here a couple of times, but one that I remember most was when a staff came to our table and arranged the sauces in a way that all the stickers of the bottles faced me, and that the container holding the bottles was straight on our table. Hubby asked me, "Our food really takes a while?" And then he started grinding the sesame seeds. Kept him busy till the food arrived. You can't go wrong with Yabu.

1  Thank niezhining
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I had fun doing the sesame grinding before eating - its aroma seems to boost my appetite. They have very courteous and attentive staff plus the food is superb with large servings - really worth our money.
Oh and by the way, the unlimited serving of sliced cabbage is nice alternative to rice if you're on a tight diet.

1  Thank yodi i
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Have eaten here several times already, often with Japanese guests, most of them say that Yabu is the closest here to the ones they have in Japan.

Well though I have been to Japan so many times, it was interesting to note that the first time I have actually done "Goma Suri" Sesame seed grinding... was in Yabu. This means that Yabu does bring Japan to the Philippines, including the way you prepare the sesame seeds for your tonkatsu sauce.

I also love the Eat all you can cabbage salad, rice and miso soup. Again this is the norm in Japanese Tonkatsu restaurants. With their selection of salad dressing, one tends to eat quite a lot of the cabbage salad. This gives you a very balanced meal or heck additional helping of natural fibers.

The only gripe I can think of is that there is almost always a queue, but that is the price to pay for good Tonkatsu. :)

1  Thank Arvin S
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Their food and service is excellent specially the manager. During my last visit, there was an incident with a family who had a baby with them. When their food was served, the mom started panicking because the baby was turning blue. Apparently, he was having a convulsion. Family quickly gathered their things to take the baby to the hospital. The father was obviously very apprehensive but still remembered they had to pay the bill. The manager refused payment and instead assured the dad that he does not need to worry and to take care of the baby. Family left for the hospital and I was left the impression that the manager is one of the reasons why the restaurant is always full. That's what you call excellent service. :)