“Everything is GREAT but i recommend MENCHI katsu”
Review of Yabu

Yabu
Ranked #4 of 455 Restaurants in Mandaluyong
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Manila, Philippines
“Everything is GREAT but i recommend MENCHI katsu”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have been to Yabu soooo many times and I have never been disappointed. Our favorite is the MOA branch where the servers are starting to recognize us - that's how often we go there. Our favorites are Rosu Katsu and Menchi Katsu. The Rosu Katsu with its trimming of fat is really simple but it hits the spot. No need for frills when something is this good. The Menchi Katsu is very filling with its mix of meat, cheese and onions. All these are served unlimited rice, miso soup, cabbage, japanese pickles and fruits! Oh, and do yourself a favor and order their house-blend iced tea - you will not regret it.

• Visited September 2013

• Korean first
Mandaluyong City
“The best Katsu ever!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The best Katsudon ever! From pork, chicken, seafood name it and they have it. I specifically love their Salmon katsudon! Perfect cook and taste of their salmon with the best tartar sauce! Aside from that, their pork katsudon is such a wonderdful in every bite. Their service is a bliss, you don't have to wait for another refill of ice tea or rice...

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank MicaAko
philippines
“My diet! Is safe...barely”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our group got lucky but only because we went early. No wait, we got tables right away, albeit outside. We went before 1130am on a Saturday. Before 12 noon, a line formed. And there was still a line by the time we finished. My daughters have eaten here a few times courtesy of my brother's family. This was my first time. They quickly told me to order the kurobuta pork set which is the premium tonkatsu. I did get to taste the other tonkatsus because we were 7. Personally, I liked the regular tonkatsu better than the premium. The kurobuta was soft to the palate, but the regular tonkatsu was firm enough, not tough. So the regular was good enough.

Why is my diet safe but barely? Its bottomless rice, and bottomless salad. The rice has a choice between white and brown rice. The white rice was quite good (I just tried a spoonful), Yabu obviously using a high grade rice variety. I ordered the brown rice (for diet purposes). The cabbage is also refillable. I ended up having 5 refills on the cabbage, trying out all the sauces individually and in combination. Ok its cabbage, but eating so much- i think i still ate too much. So is my diet safe? or not?

Oh yeah, you get to make your own sauce. Nice touch. Customers don't realize the waiting time for the food as they pound away at mortar and pestle.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank al22tecc
Davao
“Great tonkatsu”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

It's crazy how long people will queue just to eat here. I have eaten here twice with friends and in both times the tonkatsu is great. It is perfectly breaded and fried, is not oily and is presented beautifully. It goes well with the sauce with sesame seeds you crush and prepare yourself. Other than that, Yabu is just ok especially since I find you pay more (around 500-600/person plus your time wasted queueing) than what you are getting. The rice is unlimited and with the big size of the tonkatsu you will definitely leave here very full. It's served with fresh fruit, sliced cabbage and sesame dressing, which is yummy but I noticed it was watered down compared to my first time when it was newly opened. It tastes just like a brand of Japanese salad dressing our family loves.

The staff are friendly and offer good service, the atmosphere has a high bustling energy and special mention to the cute salt container on each table. Even if you're not a big fan of tonkatsu, it's worth experiencing at least once.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Kaye214
Manila, Philippines
“Must love cabbage!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

For me, the best part of eating here is the unlimited Japanese cabbage with the super Japanese mayo dressing. I could eat that pair all day and not mind about the unlimited rice. Serving is generous for the price. Honey sesame sauce goes well with the tonkatsu. Try their salmon, it's unforgettable.

• Visited May 2013