“don't settle”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Mandaluyong
Manila, Philippines
“don't settle”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

location - near the malls but it is a pretty scary area for me if i would have to walk to cross to the malls.
food - there are choices for both western and asian flare. but breakfast is not worth mentioning
lobby - chaotic and felt like i was at a bus station
front desk - front desk officers work with frowns on their foreheads, way too slow
room - booked an executive suite (1 BR) and it was pretty good in terms of size. youu have a separate receiving area, dining, but kitchen is not equipped except for the fridge and the electric kettle. the bedroom itself is cramped though.

it's okay if it's a short trip and you are on a budget but seriously, there are better hotels at a similar price range. try goldland millenia or malayan plaza instead

Room Tip: just look for other hotels
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank angelfire901

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Pasig, Philippines
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We checked in an Executive suite (1 bedroom suite) to be more spacious and a have more comfortable stay but I can't understand what's so "executive" about it. The room looked like a semi-furnished room. The furniture looked like they were half finished. Cheap quality and poorly made. Felt like I can make one in my own garage.

The room given was next to a room under renovation so you can smell the chemicals and stuff. Very disappointing.

The bedroom was so small. You can hardly move around.

Service was really poor. I was in the front desk arranging for check in and the guy there was more interested to talk to his friends passing by than to accommodate me. Geez.

Breakfast was an ease since we were a few minutes before the breakfast ended. Food was good. I guess it's the only thing that didn't disappoint me.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kura_kot

Travelers are raving about these Mandaluyong hotels

pampanga, philippines
Reviewed November 16, 2012

First the check-in took so long though it was just the 4 of us checking-in...

What a chaotic breakfast I had in this hotel... There were no available seats, food was slow to replenish, making everyone queuing for everything, esp. the egg area... It just makes you want to back-out if only I were not going to be late for a workshop...

The cell phones signals are also erratic, which can be utterly frustrating, esp. of you need to call somebody and to think we were having our workshop at one of the top floors...

The rooms need refurbishing or they they need a thorough clean-up.. It's more of a condotel. with plates, glasses, utensils & gas range if you need to cook.... But my bed is beside the cooking/wash area & the ref that it can be very difficult to move...

They only offer you 1 pillow and you need to pay 15 Pesos per day per pillow, if you need additional. I wonder why they still charge it for such a small amount...

But they offer 1 cable internet for free in the room... which is fast...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Dont even think about it....this is my second visit to this hotel, the first visit was impressive in 2009 but this one has really turned me off. The service incredibly pathetic, rooms are old, you can see cockroaches roaming here and there in the rooms, the AC will start leaking water in the middle of the night and when you will call the front desk they will answer probably after 15-20 minutes because there is usually shortage of staff during night hours.....and when they will pick up they will say someone from maintenance department will come and check shortly. It will take another 15 minutes for this maintenance guy to come and check the problem...by then your bed is very very wet due to the water leaking!! and then he comes and checks things...calls up housekeeping to make the bed again!!
Housekeeping, just doesnt want to clean up and make up rooms!! almost every alternate day you will have to call them up yourself and plead to come and clean the room....for the initial couple of days of your stay they will provide you fresh towels whenever they will make up the room....after that they wont give you any towels even if you ask for them......

There are pretty good hotels in and around Mandaluyong!! please don't even consider Lancaster you will definitely regret it!!

Room Tip: dont even think about it!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Mursil Ahmed K
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is my second visit to this hotel, after a poor stay 18months ago, decided to give it another try to see if there had been any improvements. what I find now is a tired hotel past its prime. I stayed in an Executive suite which has a room rate of 6600php a night (around $140). for this I got a suite with a living area and kitchen identical to junior suite available at half the price, however the executive suite has a separate bedroom. Around 8ft x 8ft in size so very cramped. The walls scuff marked where people had struggled between the bed and wall.

As was only staying one night not much of a problem but would not like to stay here longer. The breakfast in the morning had been moved from high floor position to being in the coffee shop on the ground floor, It remained a buffet style breakfast but choices were more limited and strange combinations. With such selections as green salad, grilled sardines, chicken curry, boiled salted eggs,and congee.

The big disappointment with the hotel is the lack of wifi and Internet.... Surely in this day and age where people travel this is now an essential requirement.

at check in reception ask for voucher from booking company Expedia, however. Despite the booking being made 2 Months ago. They only emailed the voucher the day before and as I was traveling had no opportunity of printing it.... This I feel is an fault with Expedia, but hotel quite inflexible about the issue.
Hotel requires 2000php deposit which I find common in Manila hotels ,but if you are just arriving in the country late at night you might not have available in cash.

Overall a tired hotel, well past it's prime....only good feature is the proximity to the wide selection of Malls.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank saf7670
Mandaluyong, Philippines
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We booked our stay here thru Agoda and I was kinda expecting more from this hotel but unfortunately I was very disappointed.

The paint on the wall is already falling off, the bed is creaking. The place smells old. The TV is old. Everything needs an upgrade. There's only two elevators for the resident so you have to wait a long time for the elevator. There is no Wifi in the hotel room, only in the lobby which is a big hassle. All of the previous hotel that I've stayed with are offering Wifi in their rooms. Unfortunately, Lancaster Hotel is so way behind in everything.

There's free breakfast included in our reservation and the breakfast is not that good. There are not so many choices and their food are tastes bad.

The hallways along elevators are poorly lit and smells old.

Upon checkout, their staff is so slow to think that there's not that many of customers checking out. It took 20mins to check our room, process the papers and reimbursement of our deposit. This is very slow compared to other hotel because they only took 5 mins max.

The only good thing in this hotel is that it's near Shangrila and Megamall and is very accessible via MRT.

We will never stay in this hotel next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sakura_shady
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I was booked in Lancaster originally for a duration of 11 nights. As I had business in a really close-by building, my local office recommended this hotel which claimed to be a 4-star service apartment hotel.

However, after 2 nights staying there, I decided that it was a mismatch really. This is at most, a 3-star basic. The fragrance they put in the room is suffocating, and unfortunately there's no way it can go off, the corridors are stuffy too, phone signal is weak as my room is funnily stuck at a narrow corner. The breakfast is disappointing, I saw a fly hover on the fruits and no one seemed to care.

On the third day I left a message at the front desk that I was transferring out, together with other colleagues who had the same experience too. The front desk staff called Joey then called me many times, offering a free upgrade. Well he was nice and sounded sincere, but I seriously didn't think it's something that his words alone can change. So I very politely thanked him for his kind gesture.

However, things that took place the next day after we checked out completely changed my perception. Not just something in the hardware really.

I left a Shiseido facial wash in the bathroom and forgot to bring it out with me. It was placed right on top of the vanity top, bright enough to catch one's eyes. I'm 100% sure I left it there. So I called up the hotel on the same evening requesting for a check. The lady who answered the call claimed that she needed to check with housekeeping and couldn't find anybody at that moment, asking me to call again in 15 mins. So well I called after 25, same lady, this time claimed again that housekeeping was busy asking me to call back in half an hour. It was already 11pm and she still couldn't find anyone? All right, I had all the patience, since she's helping. When I called again, as I expected, it was a no response. Nothing was seen in the bathroom. I requested for further investigation. She said she would check again but she's off duty soon, well please do me a favor to pass the message to the next shift and I would call again the next morning, I emphasized.

When I called back the next morning, unfortunately I had to explain the whole story to whoever it is at the reception. They passed the phone around to one and another, no one actually cared. Finally a lady, without even informing me, straight away transferred me to the housekeeping department, and, I had to recount my story for yet another time. Well, as I expected, it was a no response. I questioned the lady on the phone, wanted to know more details, as the lady from previous night related more details whereas this one was totally rude. Well, she just cut the line, how rude. I was rather pissed off now, and I started to realize it was not the tube of facial wash I was after, I was really questioning the manner of service, it was not just in the hotel hardware really. Transferring out, was the right choice.

I certainly wouldn't go back there, hardware is one thing, but people, and the service are the core of it.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Octtraveler2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
The Legend Villas
Edsa Shangri-La
#1 of 7 in Mandaluyong
Richmonde Hotel Ortigas
The Exchange Regency Residence Hotel

Been to Lancaster Hotel Manila? Share your experiences!