“Convenient location, friendly staff, rationed toilet paper!”

Crown Regency Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #43 of 82 Hotels in Makati
Australia
“Convenient location, friendly staff, rationed toilet paper!”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

The Crown Regency in Makati was indeed conveniently located for shopping. We only had to cross the road and were ready to shop. Staff were very helpful, friendly and very polite.

Upon arrival our reservation was found quickly and our luggage taken up to our room promptly.

The hotel room was corner suite and a good size for the 3 of us (it had 2 queen size beds). However, it looked like it could do with a couple coats of paint and was tired looking. Just underneath the aircon the wall had a stain (could have been water leakage) and was not a pretty sight. Water leakage was also evident in the bathroom as there were water stains on the ceiling and it looked like it’d been there awhile.

Our first night at the hotel the air conditioner was making a "gushy" kind of sound and when we had a close look at the filter it obviously had not been cleaned for awhile and was struggling. We suggested to staff that it be cleaned and this was promptly done the next time our room was cleaned. After the clean the aircon quietened down and the room much cooler.

The beds were on the firm side but comfortable. The pillows were too soft and at the end I had to use one of the cushions.

During our stay we got a distinct feeling that the hotel was on a cost cutting exercise. We had to keep reminding staff that there were 3 of us in the room and on numerous occasions we had to ask for extra towels, bottled water and toilet paper. When we did get toilet paper these were rationed and we were given only one roll at a time.

The buffet breakfast was good and had a variety of Filipino dishes. We were disappointed, however, that for the 7 days of our stay bacon was only available once. Also any sort of jam for our toast was scarce and we had to wait 3 days before they were able to have it available. There was also an egg station and staff cooked eggs as requested.

The hotel advertised free WiFi but it was very slow and sometimes just didn’t work. Sometimes we had to sit out in the corridor to get a good signal but unfortunately the corridor was not air conditioned and was hot and humid (maybe to save on power bills?).

The gym is small but adequate with a couple of treadmills, a bike, a weight machine, and a few free weights. The hotel again saved on power here as you had to ask staff to turn on the aircon when using the gym.

As we were travelling with and elderly person we were quite concerned about the slippery floors in the room. The cleaners could have been using a wax cleaning product.

All in all the Crown Regency was a comfortable stay and we’d stay there again. We just have to be aware of the hotel’s attempt at cost cutting and remember to bring our own strawberry jam next time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank RubynStu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed August 17, 2011

What is advertised on the sites does the Hotel far to many favours :
I arrived to a dirty hotel , a receptionist who was singing and paying very little attention to the checkin process that I was going through.
Room stank of smoke and it was made out as a non smoking room.
Bathroom was dirty and the basin had hair in it not in drain !
Air con was very loud , and went on middle of the night waking probably half the hotel .
Air con units positioned outside the window and very noisy so when the next door room had theirs on you knew about it !
After sitting at the "desk" working ended up with flea bites all around my ankles !
Oh and the internet is intermittent . so save your work .
Would not tell anyone to stay here I would tell them to avoid it .

I travel frequently and this for the rate you pay is by far the worst i have stayed in .

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Garymorgs

Travelers are raving about these Makati hotels

Reviewed August 2, 2011

My first impression was of an unassuming hotel in the heart of Makati City. This notion was not dispelled during my stay. The hotel is not costly but expect to get what you pay for. The ceiling half rounds were peeling, the lamp shade on the dressing table burnt and torn and the bath room so small I had to dry off in the room. My room was on the road side of the hotel, which was busy until late at night and noisy despite being on the fourth floor. But the staff was friendly and efficient. They did everything in their power to make my stay enjoyable and responded speedily to my requests. Breakfasts were varied and usually of good quality (but a bit too spicy to my taste). The telecommunication in the country is often unreliable, frustratingly slow and costly but the Wifi service in the hotel was a huge attraction. The exercise room needs to be aired more and offers little variety but it is good enough for a decent exercise routine. The hotel offers an in room massage service at a reasonable price, if required.

The Crown Regency is well located in Makati City. The area is fairly safe and is close to several shopping malls including the SM, Glorietta, Greenbelt and Landmark. The Ayala museum is quite close by and well worth a visit for insights into Philippino history and culture. Transport is easy to come by but be wary of unmetered taxi's and unscrupulous drivers, even on the concierge's recommendation. They will take you for a ride!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Traveler1w
Cebu Island, Philippines
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We often stay at this hotel for short trip to Manila. My stay in October 2010 was pleasant but this time it really was not worth the money we shelled out. The pillows smelt funny and the sheets looked uncleaned. Although location is really in the heart of Makati, I think there are far better hotel in the area for the same rate.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank JAndrews10
USA, Kenya, Asia
Reviewed April 12, 2011

I paid over $100/night with expedia.com. This hotel is right against a busy street. The windows don't open and I think the air hasn't been changed since 1982 -- a very sick building. WiFi was there but unreliable, including when I really needed it. I was told to call for the hotel shuttle van to pick me up at the airport, which I did, and on checkout they added P 1500 ($37) for a ride that goes for P 200 ($2.50) in a cab. Something similar happened when I departed. The bellhop said a cab would be P 200 (which my local contacts had told me was the right rate -- it's only 3 miles to the airport) but when I got to the airport the cabbie said "hotel service" over and over and asked for P700. I think "hotel service'" is code for "rip off foreigner". Next time I'm going to have a very clear conversation with the actual driver before I get in the cab.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank local_everywhere
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 1, 2011

I like the vicinity where the hotel is located in Makati. It's good enough for couple of days, but I wouldn't recommend it for longer stays. The breakfast was ok, they have an omelet station thats good. Waiters/waitress were attentive, so are the bellboys/doorman. Everyone were courteous with smiles.
The hotel is so close to glorietta/greenbelt and walking distance to MRT station. There are lots of fast food /and or fine dining around the neighborhood.

• Stayed May 2010
2 Thank Byroenius
Cebu Island, Philippines
Reviewed March 29, 2011

If you are not white, do not stay here, because the hotel staff will treat you like dirt, and check in all the white people before you, even though you were there earlier and have a reservation. The female duty managers on duty, the worst! They way they suck up to the white people and kiss them, you wonder what other side jobs they have.

Staff aside, the floors were leaking, there was water coming up from the floor boards with every step you take. Water seeping in from the bathroom and from the (fake) wooden floors in the room as well. Totally unsanitary, told the staff, and obviously they do not give a hoot about you, told me to put towels on the floor and leave it. Really? What kind of hotel is this? I left after a night, dirty unsanitary, and the worst staff ever. DO NOT EVER STAY HERE.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple