“Noisy, central, busy old hotel.”

Royal Bellagio Hotel
Ranked #53 of 82 Hotels in Makati
Phuket, Thailand
“Noisy, central, busy old hotel.”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

In the high season nobody cares in Manila, you are lucky to find a room. If you want to party and drink then this is the place for you. The noise from the street goes on till 5am every night. The hotel nees a revamp, tired old rooms which stink of cigarette smoke, the normal rooms all allow smoking in them and even if you ask for a non smoking room you will find out there is no such thing. The rooms look very tired and drab. The free (continental) breakfast is a banana and four 2 inch slices of bread with some jam. NO milk for your coffee, creamer only. The food is greasy, expensive and not very good. The bar downstairs is a great spot if you want to sit and watch 80 year old men walking hand in hand with their 20 year old "girlfriends"..Every night is like a TV show, you never know what you will see.

Room Tip: Pay the extra to upgradeand ask for a no smoking room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank James A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Arabic first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed December 28, 2012

At 4:30 in the morning, I was awakened by very loud talking in the room across from mine. I called the front desk, and was told that the manager was in there! I couldn't believe what I heard. The front desk guy was basically indicating that, as it was the manager in that room, the door of which was wide open, it was acceptable to be carrying on loudly in the wee hours of the morning, and waking paying guests up. I let the guy know what I thought of that situation and mentality, then went into the hall and yelled at the idiots to close the door.
The next morning, I encountered the guest who was staying in that room. I told him that he had ruined my sleep. He said, "The manager was with me."
I then reported the matter to the ladies working the front desk. One told me that it was impossible at that or any hotel in the world that a manager would be staying in a room and carrying on in such a manner with a guest, in a room with the door open. I told her what I had been told twice -- that the manager was in that room, and was at least half of the noise problem. (Professionally speaking, he was the entirety of it.) The ladies looked at me like I was a mad man from Mars. I asked to speak with the manager on duty, who politely took my report.
Of course, this being the Philippines, no compensation was offered me. Two days later, I got the following note from the manager in question. It's a classic in the annals of something much worse than incompetence.
"I was on roving inspection around 3:25am on early morning of Dec 26, 2012. When I was on the 9th Floor hallway,
our guest at room #9035 just arrived and he saw me. He invited me to go inside his room for a while
to show me something he bought for his daughter. He was exited that he kept
on laughing during our conversation and we did not noticed that we were disturbing
the deep sleep of the guest next door.
I would like to ask for your apology and kind consideration on the above incident."
This letter was not signed by the actual manager, as far as I could tell, but by a colleague who had read his "Incident Report."
It's of course not mentioned on agoda.com that this hotel is in the heart of the hookers' district in Makati, which may appeal to many Johns, but not to this Keith. Furthermore, the hotel advertises itself as having a classically Italian feel to it, which is as truthful as, say, Bill Clinton's and O.J. Simpson's protestations of innocence. Well, there is some tacky wallpaper in the elevator which has out-of-focus images of some churches on it.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Keith22jukjuk

Travelers are raving about these Makati hotels

Matawan, New Jersey
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Staff was friendly.
Room was OK.
Theme room interesting but little space except forthe bed. bathroom OK.
Friendly and allowed a late checkout without any issues.
room service OK. Food kinda good. Pizza good.

Room Tip: consider the theme rooms, not that much more in cost.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank islandsoft_2010
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

When my British bf visited here in the Philippines just this October for 3 weeks,, we seen this hotel and we were amazed with the ambiance of the room and services offered.
We salute them for the excellent accommodation.

The staff were so polite and well mannered.
I love the Cubana Cafe bar, they have also a beautiful and handsome crew. They will entertain you well.

My bf and I enjoyed the night life there.

I'll recommend this hotel to all my friends who'll be looking for hotel to stay.

Excellent and job well done, Belagio hotel and staff.

More power and blessings to come!!

FelKeith Ansell (U.K)

Room Tip: Deluxe Room near the window.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Felkeith A
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This was my third trip to the Phillipines and I was looking for another hotel. I chose the Bellagio because of its location. We always seemed to end up at Cafe' Cubana underneath the Bellagio anyhow so it was an easy choice. Other than that, the location is very central to lots of the Makati region. P.Burgos Street is always on the move 24 hours so it has some excitement all the time. Cafe' Cubana is a great open aired bar and food place. By the way..the food is terrific.

The hotel itself surprised me because I read some of the Trip Advisor reviews from the past and I did not discover the negatives some people offered in their reviews. The front desk staff, not only looked lovely but were equally nice to talk to. So friendly and helpful. No complaints from me there. The young men who assisted the pretty girls behind reception, were so polite and very helpful.

The previous two trips I stopped over in Makati City, in other hotels became awkward for us as our flight arrived in Manila 0545 am, so we are delivered to hotels very early in the morning. My two previous stays made us wait until 2.00pm to get into a room. Not at the Bellagio. They said they realised we would be tired at that time of the day after a long flight, then put in our rooms immediately. My mate and I were so happy...thank you staff at the Bellagio.

I did find the hotel showers were badly plumbed and I had a flood in my unit everytime I showered. Not a problem. The mini bar is certainly expensive and one to watch out for but so are many hotels around the world.

The staff at the Cafe' Cubana are fantastic and so nice too. Drinks and food are first class and not expensive.

Would I stay at the Royal Bellagio again?.....you betcha. I say go and enjoy.

Les Parker
Townsville, Queensland, Australia.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank eggy1948
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel many, many times. I prefer it to others in the area since it's clean, secure, there's a variety of room types and prices and the staff are excellent.

Check-in is a breeze and they're very accomodating of early/late check-in/out for regular customers. The staff are helpful, efficient and courteous. There's a variety of room types, sizes, prices but all are clean and everything works. Bathrooms are a bit small but are spotlessly clean. Most rooms have TV/DVD player with a reasonable choice of channels. They have Wi-Fi but it's not free. The place is 100% secure and I've never had a problem over the years I've stayed there.

They've changed the layout of the ground floor recently with a pavement cafe and open air restaurant/bar. There's only a single elevator and this can be a problem.

In the area there's plenty bars, restaurants, internet cafes, massage etc. There's lots of bars and nightclubs around P Burgos and first time visitors may be a little intimidated by the 'street life', it's pretty safe provided you apply common sense, but it's not a family kind of area.

Room Tip: The cheaper rooms are smaller and have zero view, but are quiet. The rooms at the front of the hotel...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank norrie19
Rehovot
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My colleague and I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights at the end of our business trip. We wanted to stay close enough to Makati city center for a reasonable price and Royal Bellagio looked like a decent choice. The hotel itself is not too bad: the rooms are pretty clean, the beds are comfortable enough and there is plenty of hot water at a good pressure. These are my basic requirements for a hotel so all was fine.

We found the place on some local website where no one had mentioned that this was a red light district. For me to find this out was rather amusing, but I can imagine that there are people who wouldn't be happy about this fact, so be aware. The hotel's premises actually begin on the first floor where the reception is located, to get to which you can only through the ground floor, occupied by a pseudo-Cuban-style bar with waitresses dressed in khaki uniform which includes a beret with a red star on it. There is live music on some nights and the drinks are not too pricey, so an evening can definitely be finished there, though bear in mind that the bar's second purpose seems to be some sort of a brothel. There are girls/ladyboys on offer 24/7, though they won't bother you unless you approach them. One night my colleague and I were offered some entertainment by a pimp who sat at the table next to ours, though all was cautious and polite and after we had declined the offer we were immediately left alone.

My summary: if you are a single male looking for some fun, this place might be a good choice. If you are not single but not bothered by the frivolous atmosphere of the area (which was my case), it is still OK. But if you come as a couple/family I would recommend to look for a place elsewhere.

P.S. Note the condoms that are offered for a fee next to the free toiletries in the bathroom.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends