“disappointed”

Ranked #81 of 82 Hotels in Makati
Brisbane, Australia
“disappointed”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

A tired old hotel in need of refurb and a damned good clean. Booked a double non-smoking room, was given a twin which was dirty and smelly. After heavy complaint was given a double, also dirty and very run down with stained carpet, dusty curtains, not even a chair to use with the small desk. Further complaint succeeded in getting an acceptable room. Photos are not a true indication of the grubbyness. If my pre-payment had been refundable I would have left immediately, because there are many better places in close proximity at similar or better budget rates. Employed staff were friendly and eager to help (obviously putting to practice all they learned at training school), but check-in desk management had a very bad attitude. Breakfasts and food were poor and I ate there only once. Location was good and is probably the best comment I can make about this sad old hotel.

Room Tip: Look elswhere.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank kk-ken

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Indonesian first
UK
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I booked in just for the one night but increased that to two nights. It is well in need of a refurb and the pool...well I love swimming but would not want to swim in that. Think it was 3-4 meters long. Staff were very helpful. If you want budget right in the heart of this part of Makati..I doubt you could do better for 1500 php per night

Room Tip: Mine was 902 and shabby worn carpets....breakfast at 203 php was good value
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Martyn John C
Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

The worst hotel ever..i wonder why it is still operating...should be condemned

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Lawyerboy81082

Travelers are raving about these Makati hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I stayed at the Great Eastern Hotel (Makati) from 5th - 8th May.
I have read many reviews & I think they have been a little harsh about this hotel.
Many things said are true, but not to as bad as they are made out to be.

Starting with arriving.
There was a door person to greet me (I noticed that there was one occasion no one was there - perhaps a bathroom break?). They took my luggage to the lobby for me on the 4th level (which I thought was odd place for a lobby) where I checked in. I found the staff to be polite & curtious, then I was shown my room.

The room.
I was located on the 6th level, at the end of the corridoor.
The room did need renovation, but wasn't uncomfortable.
The bed was reasonably comfortable & the bed sheets were clean.
The furniture was old, but had an almost antique feel & chairs were comfortable.
TV was small. I did not watch any TV, so I can not comment on viewing quality.
The fridge is old & was stained, but clean (nothing that bicarbonate soda couldn't fix).
The carpet was worn in places, but not bad.
The walls need to be repainted. I noticed a heavy stain near where the tiles meet the carpet near the floor, rest of the walls were ok.

Bathroom.
Very nice bathroom. Great looking.
Fresh towels & bathmat each day, soap was replaced on 2nd day (I stayed for 3 days only, so dont know if this happens every 2nd day or not).
One rail on towel rack fell off when I knocked it, easy to replace.
The toilet didnt flush well :(
The shower curtain needs replacing.
I thought that the toilet was leaking until I realised that it was water from the shower splashing from my body to the wall & running over the edge of the bath (was a shower over a bath) as the top of the bath was flat without a lip, & water run next to toilet & pooled in middle of the bathroom giving the illusion it was the toilet leaking.

Food.
I only ate there once in thier resteraunt located on the ground level. The staff were good & they food very nice & reasonabily priced for a westerner on a budget.

Other.
Wi-Fi is only available in the lobby.
The quality of the Internet was not very fast. No problems if you are doing emails & can get away with Skype voice calls (don't try video calls, you may connect, but you will get disconnected from your call a fair bit).
The lobby is a non smoking area, but has a small enclosed smoking room which the Wi-Fi worked.
The lifts were very strange to me. From outside to the lobby (4th level), there is only 1 lift that operates. There are 2 more lifts (scenic) that operate between the lobby & the higher levels (the rooms).
You can not travel from your room to the ground level (or vise versa), you must stop at the lobby level & swap lifts.

Would I recommend this hotel to others?
If you are on a budget & not very fussy & want something reasonably clean & comfortable - Yes
If you have high expectations & / or expect spotless cleanliness? No

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street side of the building as the bars make noise until after midnight...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Brian M
Santorini
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I stayed here around the Chinese New Year in January 2012.
In general I think that Philippines and Manila in particular are expensive for what they are and what they offer.
This room I stayed in was about 1800 php, and for the things I get, I don't think this is a good price.
The reception staff was just ok..nothing more nothing less. The room staff were better for sure.
The room was run down. Curtains were very old, dirty and parts of the mechanism were broken.
Then I started reading the rules of the room and the possible charges in case I stained the bed sheet or the pillow case or towels...And trust me they were not in a good condition anyway. One of the bed sheet was very dirty and stained, that I had to take a photo of it just in case I would be asked for money at the end.
The only decent thing in my room was the bathroom (not the toilet seat though, cause it was broken), but the bathroom as a room was good!
Anyway, you get the picture regarding the room.
Wi-fi was ok and free, but only in the lobby. I don't think it costs that much to have it in all floors also.. It will be a one time cost.
The Best thing about the hotel was the location. It is in Makati avenue and has many restaurants, bars and markets within minutes walk from the hotel.
If I would go back?? probably not. I would spend an extra 500php and go to a better hotel..because there are better around the same area.
I am not really a backpacker, and the hotel is not supposed to be for backpackers..It looks a lot better from the outside...but inside, different story.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank private-villas
quezon city
Reviewed February 17, 2012

In the beginning my daughter was hesitant to hold her reception here because of poor reviews in the internet. I encourage her and promise to talk to management about their services. I did but not fully. When the couple came we had food tasting at THE CAFE DE CHINE . The couple wanted to taste the menus they have ordered for the reception. The food that was served didnt met our expectations and we almost thought of canceling the reservation. The food was dry and not fresh. The meat wasnt fresh and not tender enough .Other than that they used black pepper I immediately went back to the reservation and told them about our concerns. We want the food fresh and tender and to please use white pepper in th menu. The chef through the
reservation supervisor apologizes for the outcome of the food tasting and promised to look into our concern and this will not happen again. As the wedding is approaching we were all so worried about the outcome of the party.

To my surprise, the owner was there at the reception -Quezon Ballroom -when we arrived from the church. The room was beautifully decorated as required and even added some
in the entrance doors. The program started and then the food was served. To my surprise, the food was well prepared and really taste good, no black pepper and the sea foods was fresh espcially the scallops and brocolli as well as the beef which was so tender. Overall, the food was excellent and my guests were all praises. Especially thosae coming from the province. I know that Great Eastern Hotel has a long way to go because they have perfected the art of cooking excellent dishes. They just have to be pushed harder so that they will do their best. And their best was excellent. I encourage the public to talk to Ms. LIza of the reservation office and experience the same satisfaction that my guests had,

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank mommysandiego
Seongnam, South Korea
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed here for a few nights in January!

Pros:
Good location. Market and a coffee bean are both across the street, and it's close to many restaurants and bars.
Free wifi, but only in the lobby.
Friendly staff, minus the front desk staff.

Cons:
Room was literally falling apart. We were expecting them to be a bit run down, but everything was breaking. The towel rack fell off the wall when I touched it, the toilet seat wasn't connected to the toilet. There was someone cleaning our room when we arrived but our room was still so smelly and gross. When we entered he was spraying air freshener everywhere but it didn't help, haha.
Very stingy about giving more than one towel for our room.
No blow dryers available.

There are plenty of other places to stay in Makati for a similar price. Don't stay in this dumb!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends