“Hotel Durban....YEA!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Durban

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Makati
Hotel Durban
You added Hotel Durban to your Saves list
4875 Durban Street, Makati, Luzon, Philippines (Formerly Durban Street Inn)   |
Ranked #17 of 79 Hotels in Makati
Chicago, IL
“Hotel Durban....YEA!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

If you're looking for a budget-priced hotel in the heart of the entertainment section of Makati, look no further! Hotel Duran is the place to be! This marks my 3rd time staying at Hotel Durban and I am more impressed after each visit. The new and improved cafe is awesome! They serve a decent Western-style breakfast and an equally amazing dinner menu. The rooms are well-maintained with fresh linen and neat bathroom. Need dirty laundry tended to? Well, there's a laundry service right next door to the hotel! The porters always look out for me, too! I was planning a trip to Quezon City to visit a friend and asked the best way to get there. One of the porters stopped a taxi and drilled him with questions on if he would take me and the price. The porter also took the taxi driver's name and number just in case. Is that genuine concern on what? I knew I was in good hands. Thanks, Hotel Duran! I am a lifelong customer now and forever!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank ChicagoGuy
hoteldurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you very much to ChicagoGuy for his kind review.

It's great to know the reviewer recognizes our hotel for its cleanliness and incomparable value. It’s also a pleasure to know he found Farfalla, our Italian restaurant, excellent. Farfalla is open from 6AM to 11PM and serves a full menu, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Our pasta is house-made and hand-cut to order by seasoned chefs with substantial international experience and training. Our pizza is also made in-house using only the freshest and most authentic ingredients. (Farfalla is also represented here, in TripAdvisor.)

We would also like to thank the reviewer for applauding our security protocols, and we have already relayed his kind words to our security team. Guest safety and security is very important us; we always make sure the local taxis use the meter and are clear on the guests' destination. For further security we note down the plate number and company of the taxi.

We look forward to welcoming back ChicagoGuy for a 4th time. In the meantime, safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Korean first
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Great little hotel small with a excellent Cafe and restaurant free Wi Fi as well good value would recommend rooms were small but clean a little noisy but overall great good value and a great location walking distance to shops etc no room safe which is a minus

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Julian772
hoteldurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Many thanks to Julian S for his kind review.

It’s a pleasure to know he found Farfalla, our Italian restaurant, excellent. Farfalla is open from 6AM to 12 midnight and serves a full menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Our pasta is house-made and hand-cut to order by seasoned chefs with substantial international experience and training. Our pizza is also made in-house using only the freshest and most authentic ingredients. (Farfalla is also represented here, in TripAdvisor.)

At Hotel Durban, we take great pride in our good and hard-earned reputation, where cleanliness – as well as the safety and comfort or our guests – has been among our highest priorities. While we do not have room safes at the moment, they are already part of our normal upgrade cycle, and we hope to phase them in before the end of the year. In the meantime, however, guests can use our hotel vault to store their valuables, resting assured that they will be safe.

We look forward to Julian S staying with us again next stay with us at Hotel Durban. Come see for yourself why we are a stylish and incomparable value. In the meantime, safe travels.
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Located slightly off Burgos street within the Makati area while first impressions are good. Modern décor lobby while rooms have a degree of character with a good bathroom and room size relative to the price. Clearly this hotel is popular as I had to call in person to book ( no on line booking possible, email not answered ) however the booking was handled effectively while I received a SMS message on the morning I was due to check my arrival time.

Staffs were excellent, very welcoming with operations overseen by Dave who appeared very professional.

Wi-Fi was free but slow, clearly in need of an upgrade.

There is a small bar and deli attached to the lobby which is good for a quick snack, drink or coffee but it is not a place to really linger. There is a terrace located on the outside of the hotel…. (much more could be made out of this space). Breakfast selection is limited to coffee, American breakfast was listed on the menu but one had the impression that the hotel was not really geared for it.

Despite having an extremely poor nights sleep due to the loud hum of the AC and the traffic noise, I would give this hotel a try again as the location, rooms and staff are good. Next time I would try to choose my room location towards the back, as the room I had faced the road was a noise disaster.

Room Tip: Room at the back, not front
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Mark William L
We’d like to thank Mark William L for his review. First, we’d like to apologize for not replying to his email reservation inquiry. Our front desk logs show that all emails we received were returned within 12 hours of receiving them. (On our website’s reservation and contact pages, we ask guests to give us 24-hours to respond.) Nevertheless, we are revising our protocols so that all guest inquiries are checked and double-checked to ensure that all e-mails are returned promptly.

It’s a pleasure to learn that the reviewer’s first impression of our lobby décor and room ambiance met his expectations. We are also delighted he was satisfied by our staff who work hard to make each guest’s experience as personal, restful, and welcoming as possible.

Regarding our free wifi, we have subscribed to one of the best available plans with internet routers on every guest floor. Fiber optic cables outfitted in Manila are not as widespread as many other big cities and we will always purchase the best internet package available so that our guests may enjoy fast and free wifi

We regret that the reviewer was not able to sample the menu at Farfalla, our in-house Italian restaurant. We have an extensive and authentic Italian menu serving homemade pastas, classic Italian main courses, and a full bar and wine list. We also have a full breakfast menu with many continental and Italian options, as well as Filipino favorites from which to choose. Our pizza is also made in-house using only the freshest and most authentic ingredients. (Farfalla is also represented here, in TripAdvisor.)

As we are located in the heart of Makati’s central business district, outside traffic can start early in the morning. When the reviewer visits us next, however, we look forward to offering him a room that doesn’t face street to ensure a more restful stay. In the meantime, safe travels.
Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is the 3rd time I have stayed at the Durban Inn and first time since it was remodeled. It looks wonderful and still has its simple charm. The rooms are nice and with new tv's and A/C's, The only problem was the shower door which was awkward to close in my room. Everything else including the very helpful staff was what I was acostumed too. Great staff I should point out. I will keep booking my stays at the Durban Inn when I visit Makati.

Room Tip: I would say keep away from window rooms since it seems like there is always construction in that are...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank edwin_teacher
Many thanks to Edwin_teacher for this kind review.

We are very glad to be have been able to welcome him back, and that he would stay with us again. We are also elated that he appreciates our hotel’s recent and renovations, updates, and modern touches. We always try and improve our hotel to exceed our guest expectations of a modern, boutique hotel.

We are also very delighted to know that the reviewer appreciates our helpful and professional staff who work hard to ensure that all of our guests receive the their best service at all times. We look forward to Edwin_teacher’s next visit with us. In the meantime, safe travels.
sydney australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel at least ten times before and after the last lot of renovations and m pleased to say it just keeps getting better I like the old rooms on the ground floor the best when I say old I refer to the renovated rooms on the ground floor the coffee shop is a great addition and serves fresh cooked meals and very good coffee very handy in the mornings,
The staff are great and nothing is a problem for them.i cannot praise them enough the owner who I had the pleasure of meeting quite are few times is one of the nicest people I have had the pleasure to meet.
I have stayed there on my own and also with my family and I will certainly return.

Room Tip: I prefer the ground floor but the higher floors are very quite
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank diverSydneyAustralia
Many thanks to DiverSydneyAustralia for this wonderful review and all his past patronage. It’s always a pleasure to have him stay with us, and we are glad he appreciates all our recent renovations and efforts to improve our hotel and guest experience. It’s also a delight that he appreciates our wonderful staff all of whom work tireless to ensure that every guest has a restful and enjoyable stay. We look forward to DiverSydneyAustralia’s next visit with us. In the meantime, safe travels.
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Amazing hotel in the middle of Manila. Fantastic value. We stayed here twice, once for 3 nights in the 'suite'(2000php) and once in the double room(1900php). The service was fantastic. Nice to have a duvet for once in Asia! We are backpackers so was nice to have a little bit of luxury for a change! Couldnt have asked for a nicer place to stay!
Only downside was that the shower was lukewarm not really hot!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessicaemily1991
We’d like to thank Jessicaemily1991 for her kind review. We are very pleased she found our hotel to be a fantastic value. We take pride in being an excellent and incomparable option for travelers seeking a good value in one of Makati’s most expensive areas.

The hot-water heaters in most of our rooms can be directly adjusted by the user. However, those in our newer rooms like the one in which the reviewer stayed, are hidden - so as to give the bathroom a cleaner appearance. These heaters are pre-set at 100ºF (37ºC), but the temperature may vary depending upon the water flow-rate the user desires: the faster the flow, the lower the temperature. In our experience, we have found that, because of the Philippines's year-round warm climate, our guests generally prefer a shower that is refreshing and doesn’t run too hot. However, we can easily re-accommodate guests in rooms more suitable for their needs.

We’d like to thank Jessicaemily1991 once again, and we look forward to her next visit. In the meantime, safe travels.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

After seeing the fantastic and comprehensive review by J_David_E I can only agree wholeheartedly. Most of the points I was going to include (and more) have already been covered! Hence I fully concur with those comments and add my own humble thoughts below:

The hotel was in an ideal location just off Makati Avenue in the business district for me to be based at for a 15 nights trip. Onward trips and travel are fairly easy with swift access to Ayala MRT and jeepney jumps possible to places such as Mall of Asia at Manila Bay without too much hassle.

Initial booking was done by email and prompt responses were encouraging, albeit chasing them up once. I was offered the Deluxe room with Queensize bed for the same price as the single-occupancy Pullman room, which was great. However confirming I could pay by credit card changed the agreed price of Php1700/night to Php1900/night.

Not a huge issue but I'd suggest the staff update the website to make the CC surcharge clear in future as this did cause some initial consternation!

I would note the front desk was quite flexible and allowed my payment in cash for the initial days followed by a CC payment for the remainder, so you can obtain the cheaper cash rate without issue and this was appreciated.

I arrived around 1am but the reception is 24 hours which was helpful as the reservation did say I need to arrive within 2 hours of my advised arrival time. Very polite, efficient and welcoming in opening my reservation. Staff carried my baggage to the 3rd-floor room. There is no elevator but the art and décor on each floor is nice to view with a surprising atrium area as well. Very different from the noise and not-so-clean atmosphere on the street outside.

The room was of a good size with Queen bed, soft duvet bedding, glass bedside table, wooden desk with chair, additional comfy chair, refrigerator and wardrobe with shelf and hangers provided. Efficient air-con worked well although an infrequent loud buzzing (drainage?) was mildly disturbing. En-suite with large glass-fronted electric shower area was in very good condition although I agree on the lack of storage/surfaces mentioned in the previous review. Towels changed daily and the bed sheets straightened, then these are also changed every three days. Wifi worked very well and password is changed weekly. Lighting was good with a desk lamp on the wooden desk, still a little dim perhaps and no window although I didn't mind this. 32" flat screen TV with wide selection of Filipino/Chinese/Korean/US channels. Landline phone included as well - front desk answered promptly but I didn't try local calls although I'm sure this is possible.

On the 3rd floor atrium there was a water cooler where you could top up your water bottles before heading out or to store them in the room refrigerator.

Some small room issues:

1. Returning late one evening a (very) small cockroach was disturbed when pulling the bedding back. Not good, dealt with rather permanently. Mentioned to the front desk a couple days later, my comments were received attentively and I was advised the next day of additional pest control measures in place - no further problems, very satisfied.
2. The intermittently-noisy AC unit which didn't seem to be the actual AC but just next to it. Front desk ensured it was checked and advised it's a drainage function. Fair enough.
3. Bathroom smelling of cigarette smoke in the mornings (the hotel is non-smoking). Found it was an adjacent room where the guests broke policy and were dealt with accordingly. All quite satisfactory.

The hotel was very clean and the checking of guest identification and the friendly yet firm control at the front desk was very reassuring, given the nature of the very-near 'entertainment' area and the presence of massage - and other - offers once darkness fell. After a day travelling/touring it really was a pleasure to return to such an oasis of safe, calm comfort to wash off the jeepney smog and enjoy the accommodation.

Laundry - there is a premises just next door that offers a 24 hour service for approx. Php45/kilo of washing with a 2kg minimum. Highly recommended.

Didn't need to try the hotel restaurant although it looked popular at night. Plenty of places to eat just outside and in the evenings street food markets open up as well.

I left with the same welcoming assistance: the doorman hailing a taxi at 4am, helping with baggage and noting the driver details.

My overriding feeling was the more you treated the hotel and staff with due respect, the more warmth and friendliness you received in return. My thanks to all the hotel staff and in particular those who provided housekeeping for their continued understanding when I had overslept during the daytime hours and kept pleading for more time! Additional thanks to Gina Fajardo and Sheila Villadar on the front desk who were both friendly, frequently helpful and understanding with concerns raised.

Would I stay again? Without a doubt.

Room Tip: Ensure you request quiet air-con if you're a light sleeper. No elevator so request a lower-leve...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Joshua_Tree288
A very belated thank you to Joshua_Tree288 for his thorough review detailing his experience at our hotel. First, we’d like to apologize for any confusion regarding our rates as we went through a transition period during his time of booking; we would like to thank him for his patience. We now accept credit cards for room reservations. In the very near future, we will be upgrading our reservation system for online e-commerce reservations for the first night of a guest’s reservation, in order to secure the room so that guests may rest assured that their requested room is fully protected. We will, of course, continue to allow succeeding nights to be paid for in house by cash for guest convenience.

We are also glad to hear that the reviewer’s check-in was smooth and welcoming. We provide all our guests the flexibility to check in at any time of day. We are also pleased that he noticed our design choices, all of which are carefully made to give our guests a unique and restful experience in a modern, value-oriented, boutique hotel.

As of this writing, we have already addressed the issue of lack of storage and shelving in our en suite bathrooms, and guest responses have been very positive.

We have regular pest control measures in place using the safest most effective methods to prevent insects and pests. While our target is zero incidences, the Philippines is a tropical country. A cockroach in our hotel is a very rare and we encourage our guests to immediately contact our front desk to report an occurrence so that immediate action will be taken to ensure a pest is removed.

Our air-conditioning units are regularly serviced and cleaned to ensure a comfortable room. We are currently addressing the reviewer’s issue without our maintenance team, in order to ensure that all AC units function as quietly as possible.

Hotel Durban is a non-smoking hotel. Our housekeeping team are vigilant in ensuring all our rooms remain smoke free. All of our guests are informed of and must consent to our non-smoking policies upon check-in. (Our non-smoking policy is enforced through a city ordinance banning smoking in hotels, restaurants, and other public places.)

Unfortunately, however, there is the rare and occasional guest who violates the policy – as what happened in the reviewer’s case when he smelled cigarette smoke coming from an adjacent room. We’d like to apologize to the reviewer again and thank him for his understanding. (The guest in the adjacent room was asked to check out the following day and paid a cleaning-fee for the violation.)

We’d like to thank the reviewer for recognizing our excellent staff and are glad he had an enjoyable and restful stay. We always aim to exceed our guests’ expectations. We look forward to welcoming Joshua_Tree288 back to Hotel Durban. In the meantime, safe travels.