“They could have been better”
Review of Hotel Durban

Hotel Durban
Ranked #22 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed on this hotel June 24-28. As early as June 5, i already made reservation thru their website, a business suite that i will use on June 26-28 with my mother. We exchange several emails regarding my preferred floor and rooms. Their replies are quick and im really impress how accomodating they were. Something came up though that i have to come to Manila earlier than plan so i texted them if its possible for them to give any room between 24-26 and they said there is a deluxe room i can use. I specifically told them i will still use the reservation i made,its just that i was early so i'll take whatever room available for the meantime. When i arrive, the room is ready. The deluxe room,310, is tiny than what i expected but for 1650 i got no complains. The room is quite noisy as you hear the footstep from the upper floor. The real problem is at 1 in the morning i wake up with the aircon leaking. I called the reception and they send a guard to look at it. It takes 20 minutes with him coming and going out of my room for me to decide i need another room as it is impossible for me to sleep again with the sound of droplets of water in the pail they produce to stop the flooding. I was transfer to first floor maybe around 2am. It is still a deluxe room,same price but bigger with table and chair. Still noisy as you can hear everyone who enter the glass door of the hotel yet tolerable. I just keep the tv on to distract me. What upset me is on 26 im ready to transfer at my reserve business suite room (as my mother arrive at this time) its unavailable. For whatever reason they fail to inform me about it. They offer to give us two rooms,one pullman and one deluxe to compensate for the incovenience with the same price of business suite. The pullman room is okay,deluxe they gave me this time is a lot smaller than the first two i had. I dont have bed cover and they said it wont be available until 7pm as there is no delivery of cover yet. (huh?!) The room is noisy more than ever. I cant sleep with the noise from the kitchen and glass door from the cafe. Not to mention a motor of water or machine that keeps running at midnight. I had to call the reception to make it stop. Thankfully they listen and turn it off. Disappointed because reviews are good but the service really sucks. The staff are courteous, dont get me wrong but not competent enough to do their jobs

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Louelllajune
hoteldurban, General Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

We’d like to thank the reviewer, louellajune, for staying at Hotel Durban on several occasions – not just her most recent one, which concerns her current review. We are deeply sorry for the series of inconveniences she encountered. The reviewer stayed with us from June 24-28, but her reservation for a Business Suite was only for the last two days of that period, June 26-28.

On the first night of the reviewer’s stay, the air-conditioning unit in her room unexpectedly sprung a slight leak at 1AM. Our regular maintenance crew was not on duty to service the unit immediately, so one of our night porters, who has some training in maintenance, was able to minimize the leak, however; a small bucket was also placed to catch the remaining droplets until a more permanent fix could be implemented the following morning. (It was discovered that the AC unit had a faulty pump, which we immediately replaced. The room in question has received no subsequent complaints.) As the reviewer found this temporary solution unsatisfactory, she requested to be transferred to another room at 2AM. She was then moved to a larger, Superior Deluxe room on the ground floor.

On the morning of the 26th, when the reviewer was expecting to be moved to her reserved Business Suite, the guest occupying that room refused to vacate despite being informed by our front desk staff the previous day that the room was already committed. Our protocols dictate that in such cases we absolutely protect guests who have a prior commitment to a room. Our front desk should have transferred the guest whose reservation had expired and prepared the room for reviewer’s reservation. Our front desk further erred in that once we became aware of the situation we should have informed the reviewer immediately – at around 9AM – and not when the reviewer herself approached the front desk to inquire about her reservation at 11AM. We apologize for this lapse in protocol. Our front desk staff and relevant supervisors have since reviewed our best practices; this issue should not recur.

To help ameliorate the situation, our Front Desk Supervisor visited the reviewer personally and apologized for the situation. He offered her an extra mattress free of charge, so that she and her mother, who was due to arrive, could at least be in the same room, but the reviewer declined that offer. The supervisor then departed from house protocols and offered the guest two adjacent rooms for the price of a Business Suite, or about a P1000.00 savings, which the reviewer accepted. The reviewer was given a Pullman (our single room) and a Junior Deluxe, which is little smaller than the room in which she was then currently staying. The reviewer could have stayed in the room where she was, on the same floor as her mother, or chosen another Superior Deluxe room elsewhere in the hotel, but at the time there were none that would have had her mother’s quarters directly adjacent, which is what the reviewer wanted.

When the reviewer took possession of her new room at about 2PM, there was, unfortunately, no duvet on her bed. While the hotel keeps adequate stocks and replacements of all items in use, such as duvets, we outsource our laundry operations, which can, on the rare occasion, lead to unavoidable delivery delays. Our records show that our Housekeeping Supervisor spoke with the reviewer herself, explained the situation, and said that the new duvet would arrive between 3 and 4PM. The reviewer replied that it was not a problem and to just make the bed as she and her mother would be out of the room for the rest of the afternoon. The laundry arrived at 3:15, and the new duvet was promptly replaced. (Our Housekeeping Supervisor, who mentioned that she would be on duty until 7PM in case of any problems, also offered to transfer the duvet the reviewer used the previous night, but the reviewer found this solution unsatisfactory.)

The room in which the reviewer finally stayed abuts the employee washroom and shares the corridor connecting the kitchen to café. Based on her noise complaint about a running motor, our night porter – the same one who tended to the AC leak in her original room – discovered that it was the sound of the faucet from the employee washroom whenever it was used. The washroom was promptly shut for the rest of the night so the reviewer would no longer be disturbed. (After consulting with our maintenance team, we found we could eliminate the sound by reducing the sink's water pressure to a quieter, more gentle level.)

We apologize for the inconveniences the reviewer encountered. We tried our best to deal with her issues as soon as our staff became aware of them and feel that we addressed them as best we could at the time. However, we are glad that louellajune has been a repeat customer of the hotel for some time now, and we hope she will stay with us again on her next visit to Makati. We’d like to thank louellajune again for taking the time to review us. Come see for yourself why Hotel Durban is ranked Number One for hotels that give the best value, according to TripAdvisor’s users. In the meantime, safe travels.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Had a pleasant overnight stay in the business suite this June with friends. The hotel's location is just off Makati Avenue which is filled with all the fast food joints, clubs and shopping you could ever need. Breakfast was also good. Wouldn't mind staying here again in the near future.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jcgreen
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Love this place. The staff are very friendly. Honest.
The rooms are simple and clean. Love it!
The moment you walk in to this place , they greet you with smile.They are very appreciative.
Very affordable place. i will rather stay here , than in 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Love the fourth floor.Quite!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank princemark
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Price very good, the whole place is very clean and the staff embarrassingly kind as in Philippines customer service style.
The hotel is not very big but a particular care has been devoted to the design and the decoration of the interior which I found very cosy and welcoming. The location is very good and I think for that price the Durban is the best choice in the area. I am thinking about something that disappointed me during my three days stay at the hotel but, honestly, I can't recollect any disappointing memory. The day I left, I checked out at 12, but my plane was late at 0100 during the night, the manager keep my luggage there the whole day while I was around in town before to get to the airport. They allowed me to change clothes for no charge and that made a difference considering how hot was in Manila and how long was my trip back to Europe. Only suprising detail, they do not take credi car of any sort. ONLY CASH. so make sure to get to the reception with some cash ready to pay at least for the first night.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank sardinius
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and i stayed at Hotel Durban last May 7 till 9 2013. We booked an Economy room. The price on that day was only 1,400 P. Nevertheless, our room was spotless white so clean from the wooden floor to the sheets, Everything smells clean. The location is very easy to locate. 24 hours restaurants like Pizza hut, North Park and 7 11 are just a walking distance. The only downside is the parking. The front parking can only accommodate to 2 cars and also the price of their coffee 3 in 1 is 150 pesos. June 1 we came back and the rate for an economy room increased from 1400 to 1600 per night. Definitely will recommend Hotel Durban to my friends and also definitely will come back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank xtin c
hoteldurban, General Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

We'd like to thank xtin c for her wonderful review. We're so glad she enjoyed her stay with us.

From the review, it is difficult for us to say exactly what was the cause of the discrepancy in the room rate. We have been undergoing extensive renovations the past two months, and it is likely there was a small price increase between the reviewer's first and second stays - or the reviewer stayed in two different types of rooms. Whatever the case, we would like to take this opportunity to state our prices. We have four classes of rooms: Pullmans sell for P1350; Economy rooms sell for P1450; Deluxe rooms start at P1650, and Suites start at P1850. All our rooms, regardless of class, have the same modern and comfortable design, and the quoted rates include all taxes and service charges.

As the reviewer pointed out, we are ideally located, just a stone's throw from a diverse and plentiful selections of restaurants. Should a guest choose to dine at the hotel, however, our café offers a full menu that includes submarine sandwiches, pastas, and burgers, now with many options for vegetarians. We also have amazing beverages, carefully chosen to please our guests: fresh fruit shakes, frappés, and coffees. We offer individually ground-to-order americano, cappuccino, espresso, and coffee drinks starting at P60 using 100% Arabica imported from Colombia. Our bottomless drip coffee is priced at a bargain P100 using a 100% Arabica with beans from Ethiopia, El Salvador, and Sumatra. (We do not offer 3-in-1coffee, which is a local type of instant coffee with sugar and creamer.)

We'd like to thank xtin c again for the thoughtful review; we eagerly look forward to their next visit with us. In the meantime, safe travels.

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I had stayed in this hotel for 7days. And all honestly this place is great. The room I had chosen is the deluxe room w/ queen size bed. The room is cleaned daily, towels are change daily as well, bed sheets are change I believe every other day.The bedroom was good size for two, theres a small ref, great working condition, also an AC also in great condition, and good size TV with plenty of channels to choose from. The room itself is very modern at lot of extra storage, and outlets to charged our gadgets. On top of that the room has free WIFI, so no need to go down in the lobby unlike most hotels who consider themselves a five star.

The staff a really helpful and always always greats you with a smile, specially the front desk. when I was making my reservation it went so smoothly. I emailed the hotel about making the reservation for 7days and within an hour I receive a confirmation about my stay. This was overall great experience.

I would recommend this place to anyone who is in Makati who's looking for a great place to stay in, on a budget or not. Also the hotel is walking distance to Shakeys, Jollibee, Mcdo, 7-11 etc. and other local restaurants. Also not to far away from shopping centers such as Greenbelt Landmark and SM.

Thanks Hotel Durban for great experience, I will see you again next year.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank lafly83
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I was a solo woman travelling alone, so staying in the red light district of Makati was not on my to do list. I've never stayed in a budget hotel in Manila before and to be honest, I had nightmares of roaches, perverts and creepy hotel staff. My family and I usually stay at New World Makati or BSA Tower. However, upon arriving at Hotel Durban, not only I was relieved, but suprised.

I'm not naive by any means, so I know that in the P. Burgos area, sometimes people like to bring overnight guests. While I was being checked in, I saw a few families and couples walk past. In such an area, I was expecting (and let's be frank here) old perverts with young girls in tow. Especially as a Filipina, I wanted to avoid this completely so I was happy to note, that the older lady sitting behind the receptionists at the desk, discretely instruct the hotel staff to inform this gentleman with a young woman (a GRO) beside him, that no rooms were available. So, the management discretely work to make this hotel a safe and wholesome place. I've been accosted by men at Phuket, and have been asked 'How much?' so this was a great reassurance.

The rooms are spotless, clean and critter-free. The rooms do not smell at all and are airy and spacious. The TV is a flat screen and fully equipped with satellite service.

The staff are fabulous and display consistent 5 star service. They were always cheerful and ready to help me with getting flagging a reputable cab driver (especially to the airport as they may or may not rip you off) and with my luggage as there are no lifts!

It's a safe and inviting hotel and I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank bambinawhat
hoteldurban, General Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Many thanks to bambinawhat for her kind review. We are thrilled that she was pleasantly surprised by our little hotel. As the reviewer noted, we work hard to keep our hotel clean, safe, and reputable. We've stated elsewhere in these responses that we make sure to check government-issued IDs and do not admit known prostitutes. In addition to our own 24-hour armed security, we work closely with local law enforcement to ensure a safe and secure environment for our staff and guests. We thank bambinawhat again for her review and look forward to her next visit. In the meantime, safe travels.