“Home away from home -Simply my favorite mid-size hotel in Makati” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Durban

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Makati
Hotel Durban
You added Hotel Durban to your Saves list
Ranked #18 of 79 Hotels in Makati
Los Angeles, California
“Home away from home -Simply my favorite mid-size hotel in Makati”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have been a guest of this place, I called home for the last 10 years or so. Every time I visit Manila, this is my home away from home. The staff have stayed employed so they're the same familiar faces. It only means something, good management means no employee turnover. Nice friendly staff like Jess, Dexter, Ana, Norie, Jayvee, Ed, Shiela, Chito and more... It is so personalized the owner normally is in the vicinity everyday to see day to day operation. I am a unit owner in one of the condo hotels here in Makati and I still choose to stay in Durban. When I say "Clean" it's clean, I have to mention this, I have not seen a single cockroach in this place. Unlike some major 3/4 star hotels. Motiff is all white and brown, white means clean, squeaky clean. I couldn't wait to go home @ night to crisp new linen and a pleasant smelling room. Taste, Decor and interior has simple lines, minimal and impeccable.
I sincerely apologized for keeping this place one of my "Best Secret Hideaway" which I enjoyed for the longest time. I was selfish, what can I say? It is no longer a secret being in the top ten, I highly recommend this place. Shhhhhn! But do me a favor, can we just keep it among ourselves...
Review of Durban Cafe and Chef Jay Joson coming....
Reviewed by: Ed Africano Aka(Diegong Tabak)

Room Tip: 2nd floor is better choice. My room is on the 1st floor near the lobby for accessibility and conveni...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Africa7777

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Korean first
Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

If you aren't looking for this place, there's a very good chance you won't find it. Amidst a sea of 100+-room hotels, Hotel Durban is a surprisingly competitive, value-for-money hotel. Having made it a part of my holiday accommodation, I decided to extended my stay for a couple days at a time. During this period I hopped 3 different rooms.

The hotel has a small coffee-shop that doesn't have a menu to die for. You can make do with a cup of coffee/tea and perhaps breakfast just one odd day but you'll be wiser to plan your meals as far as 'where to eat?' is concerned. As a vegetarian, I found myself 'quite stuck' to their cheese sub. It wasn't bad but it doesn't quite fill one up - especially someone who has an appetite for good lunch/dinner.

As far as food is concerned, one will never have a problem when staying in Hotel Durban. One will be spoilt for choice with the number of fastfood joints, restaurants and bars. For people weighing their options based on availability of Indian food or even vegetarian food options - look no further. Zero in on Hotel Durban and lock the deal. There's Ziggurat (a Persian food joint) just a stone's throw away from the hotel. One can find some Indian food (amongst others) at Heckle & Jeckle about 2 streets down from the hotel although it is predominantly a bar. Queens and Legend of India are 2 restaurants just a 3-5 min walk from the hotel.

The hotel is also very conveniently located - close proximity to Greenbelt, Glorietta, SM Makati, Rockwell Power Plant Mall and many more such malls. The fact that it is in Makati makes it an ideal choice for people looking to go shop at Mall of Asia and then to the other spectrum (also the other side of the city) at SM Megamall, Shangri-La mall or even at Green hills (where you get to bargain for a good bit of your shopping). 7-elevens and mini-stops have peppered the entire block so one needn't worry about wanting to pick up emergency toiletries or even pre-paid phone recharge cards.

What the hotel lacks in end-to-end services, it makes up for it in its charm and warmth. The staff almost always has a smile and are very pleasant and kind. That is, to me, the best part of the stay. The hotel itself is undergoing renovation so it is inconvenient for some at times and quite ok other times. In spite of being in the city's adult entertainment district/vicinity, Hotel Durban's standards ensure that safety is maintained and it carries its 'good for the family' banner.

I'll certainly recommend Hotel Durban (and probably more so after all the renovation is complete) but only if people are looking at value for money. The place is definitely more peaceful that a bunch of other hotels one might consider as an alternative. Wifi comes free, there's a safety locker at the reception for people looking to secure valuable. Breakfast, lunch or dinner is not a part of the room cost but the taxes are included. It was fun staying there.

There's scope for improvement but I'm sure it will be taken care of with time.

Room Tip: Standard/Deluxe Rooms at the ground level are small and feel like a matchbox. Some have no windows s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank RR3007
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Hotel Durban was may primary choice of place to stay during my most recent (May 2013) trip to Makati from the province. Unfortunately, they were fully booked so I stayed at the hotel across the street temporarily until a vacant room is available. I left my number and they did call me.
I stayed for one week at Hotel Durban, I was able to try two different rooms. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfy enough. The toilets are also very clean, although I had a little problem with the shower, it only has one knob so there is no way to regulate the hot water temperature. Sometimes the water can get a little too hot. I also would have loved if they had cabinets in the bathroom sink or mirror with cabinets at least more space to place my toiletries. Other than that it was all good.
There are rooms that are located near the stairs that can get a little noisy anytime because of some inconsiderate guests who would talk loudly on their way to their respective rooms or walk heavily. Perhaps a sign would help.
All these, didn't really matter as the hotel staff are very accommodating. They are very friendly and are always willing to serve you.
The place offers comfort at affordable rates. What else can you ask for?
I'm definitely going to stay at Hotel Durban next time I need a place in Makati.

Rico T.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Rico T
siargao
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Durban Hotel has recently undergone a renevation, i stayed there both before and after, now the beer costs P70 insted of P40 :-( but for the price, around 1200 for standard room it still is one of the best deals around this part of town. Rooms are clean but small, i reccomend the suite P1700 if you are two persons. Staff is ok, dont really do more then absolutely neccessary but that is fine, in this part of town you want to be left alone anyway. Location is just off P. Burgos st, makati red light district, here lots of fun can be had. Just watch out for the street girls that for sure will approach you with offfers of massage and more.

Room Tip: if you have some more cash just choose the suite, spacious and nice. Book in advance since this plac...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank gryforsell
Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I've been staying here for almost 10 years now. I stayed there when the entrance is a stairs on the side of the building. I would like to congratulate them for improving the entire complex including all of their amenities, even the wifi signals on all floors.All with a home feeling.

Public transportation is so easy whether a cab or a jeepney in front of 7-11. Location + price + amenities = PERFECT!!!

I stayed here with my GF, my family and solo.

Room Tip: Cellphone signal is low in lower floors. Try the fourth floor. It's a climb, but it's all wo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ck9663
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This is an economical Hotel with an amazingly friendly staff
We did have to change rooms due to the one allocated being immediately above the huge outdoor air conditioning plant which was incredibly noisy 24 hours a day,
but the room we moved to was very comfortable and quiet and also cheaper. For $40 Australian a day it was exceptional.
Only complaint was that although the hotel insisted on a no smoking policy in the hotel itself, but the only place to eat breakfast, snacks, etc is on the patio and the hotel refused to segregate smokers from non smokers. Several times we had to forgo eating at the hotel because of smokers seated at intervals for the full length of the patio. There was plenty of seating for smokers to be at one end reserving another end for those who wanted to enjoy the wonderfully prepared food without it being contaminated by foul cigarette smoke, but the staff refused to ask anyone to move, orto place ashtrays only at one end.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the air conditioners in the side lane
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jola90
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 days. Hotel check in was very efficient, pleasant and helpful,rooms were ready upon check in.
Rooms were very modern with fridge, tv, bed was most comfortable I have slept in for a long time, bathroom was a nice size with a very modern walk in shower with plenty of hot water. Location is perfect for the local nightlife, not too far to the malls either. All in all we had a great stay & I would recommend to all.
One negative is the ongoing refurbishment which is noisy from 9am onwards, if you're out late at night this might be a bother to you!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
hoteldurban, General Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Thanks to Bootleultras for the review. We're very happy he enjoyed our hotel, especially the speedy check-in and our superb location. We hosted the reviewer during the middle of our planned renovations for the 4th floor. We are happy to report, however, that as of this writing, all the renovations to the rooms and hallways are completed. We've added three more of our most popular types of rooms - our Superior Suites, which are cozier than ever. By the end of the month, our courtyard will have a completely new ventilation system and glass roof. We're also completely redoing our café's already wonderful menu in order to accommodate a broader range of tastes.

We'd like to thank the reviewer again for the wonderful comments and look forward to welcoming him back the next time he's in town. In the meantime, safe travels.