“Contemporay, budget hotel in the heart of Makati”
Review of Hotel Durban

Hotel Durban
Ranked #23 of 83 Hotels in Makati
Norwich, Connecticut
“Contemporay, budget hotel in the heart of Makati”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I have been staying for many times at Hotel Durban's neighbor, St. Giles Hotel, when my friends told me they will be staying at Hotel Durban. I need to join them as we will do something together so I decided to just stay with them.

I was a bit hesitant because it was near the red light district of Makati but when I saw the lobby and the rooms, I was amazed that I could get at a very low price such rooms in Makati. St. Giles Hotel was almost charging 50% more and the staff there are not so nice. If you are in a tight budget, then Hotel Durban is for you.

There was free wifi internet and the signal was satisfactory. The water pressure was strong. Only, they did not have full-body mirrors inside the room. Also the electric sockets were very few. I had to remove the lamp from the socket just to charge my phone. They only have few rooms to better book in advance.

Overall this was an unexpected great stay in this hotel, great in the sense that it was worth more than what we paid for. The staff were courteous and friendly.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank kielwin
hoteldurban, General Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
We are so happy that Kielwin gave Hotel Durban a chance by selecting us over our excellent neighbor, St. Giles Hotel, during his last stay in Manila. We are even happier that our service, quality, and amenities pleasantly surprised him. We work hard to give our guests the best value for their money of any hotel in the neighborhood. A number of suggestions the reviewer made are already part of our capital improvement plan for 2012: full body mirrors are being installed in every closet, and our electrical system is being upgraded to provide an extra double socket in every room so that guests may charge and power personal electronic devices easily. As part of an enhanced Hotel Durban experience, guests may also look forward to iPod/iPhone charging docks on bedside tables and soap and shampoo dispensers in the showers; our café is slated to open in October. In the meantime, Hotel Durban will continue to maintain the highest standards of cleanliness and value in Makati. We invite you to come stay with us on your next trip.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Korean first
Tacloban City, Tacloban, Philippines
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I've been staying at this hotel since it was still called "Durban Street Inn" and i have always liked their "homey" ambiance. There's a Mexican Mediterranean feel to it. Red Clay tiles, white walls, burgundy brown furniture. Most of the rooms are spacious, clean. In the last room i stayed in, it was spacious, new a/c, , spacious bathroom, hot and cold shower, lcd tv. They also have a new facade that makes them look more of a hotel than an Inn now, hence the name. But for those who are used to elevators, you're in for an exercise. It is a non-smoking hotel so smokers has to go outside the lobby where a couple of benches and tables are provided. Wifi is also available for guests. Although it is located on the "red district" of Makati, the hotel itself is a street away from the crowded bars. Although some guests complained that they couldn't sleep because of the noise, i never had a problem with it. Rates start at $32 for a single/double room with one queen size bed.

My only complaint i guess, the last time i stayed there, the room they gave me smelled of smoke...so the guests before me didn't give a crap that the hotel was a no smoking hotel, so management should look into it. Otherwise, its a great value for your money hotel in the Makati area, i'd stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Geisha72
hoteldurban, General Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
We do, indeed, remember chatting with sole2soultravel, and we thank the reviewer for the wonderful review. While we are sorry that the room she stayed in smelled of smoke, we dealt with the issue as soon as it came to our attention. Our no-smoking policy is front-and-center during check-in: in addition to a posted notice, guests are also gently reminded by the front desk staff. While the certain rare guest may still choose to violate our policy - as well as Makati City Ordinance 2002-090 - our excellent housekeeping and maintenance staff is always vigilant. As part of the planned upgrades for 2013 and a more robust fire prevention strategy, we are installing more sensitive smoke detectors that will notify the front desk directly in case of smoke. We look forward to hosting sole2soultravel during her next visit to Manila.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 17, 2012

This place is truly awesome. I'm convinced you can't do better in Manila at this price. The hotel is spotless. Everything seems modern and comparable to western hotels. The room had A/C and a tv along with a strong wifi signal. The staff is friendly and go above and beyond. Call ahead, though, as it does book up quickly. I really can't say enough good things about my stay here (2 nights). It was the best hotel I stayed in during my 2 weeks in the philippines.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Joe W
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights after arriving in Manila without a reservation. Normally we reserve somewhere in advance but this was a quickly booked trip. After trying a couple of places where we had previously stayed, we were directed to the Durban and we were glad to get a room easily.
The hotel is good value for this part of town and the room is simple but clean. I was impressed by its decent size. The tv had lots of channels and the location was very convenient to visit Howzat and Rogues as well as take a quick cab for the malls, Rockwell and getting down to G Point and Robinsons in Malate.
Staff were friendly and polite and always said hello as we passed.
The negative for us was the noise from the next room and from the hallway. You hear when anyone walks across the hard floors outside the room, talks in the corridor / hall area and the sound proofing between rooms doesn't work well as the couple in the next room were noisy.
We count this as a hotel we could stay at in future Makati visits, which is a positive as there are some very rough choices nearby.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank wanderingoff
We are glad that Wanderingoff had a pleasant stay and found us to be a good value. We work hard to ensure that all our guests are greeted with the friendliness and professionalism expected in a major hotel. We would like Wanderingoff – and all our guests – to know that we have begun a robust noise abatement program, which is being carried out in several stages throughout 2012. We are installing black-out and sound-dampening window coverings, upgrading guest room doors, and, in certain cases, replacing entire walls and repositioning doors. We are glad that Wanderingoff counts us as a hotel he might choose again during a future visit to Manila.
Eldorado, Texas
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The only reason I gave this hotel a average is because of its location... The location of this hotels makes it easy to walk to restaurants, mall and to the nightlife. The hotel is for sure a no frills hotel. You will not get anything extra. The beds are very hard and the pillows are thin. If you would like an extra pillow it will cost you 30php per day. We didn't have good luck with the Internet. It would work for a bit then not work. The fridge had to be pulled out each time that we wanted to turn the tv on because you had to unplug it for a few seconds before you attempted to turn it on. Not a lot of channels available on the tv. The bed does not come with a comforter, only a sheet. My husband likes to run the air all night so I was cold. Ask for a blanket and got a sheet. We did have roaches and ants in the bathroom. The water pressure in the shower is not the greatest. Made it very hard to wash my hair.
The big problem that we had at this hotel was the light coming into the room. Other rooms were the same. The lights from the common area shined in the room all night. It made it look like it was daylight outside which made it difficult to sleep. The noise from the stairwell was heard all night as well. We were in room 301. We actually check out some rooms around us and they were the same.
I needed to dry my hair but no hair dyer was available. You must bring your own soap/ shampoo because it is not provided. Drinking water is not provided in the room either. This hotel is not handicapp accessible. There is no elevator. Rooms are small.
The staff was always friendly and helpful although many times they were asleep behind the counter. Not a hotel I would go back to because of the poor sleep quality that we got.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank farmngal
hoteldurban, Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this review, January 14, 2012
We would like to extend our apologies to farmngal. It is always our hope and intention that our guests have a warm, pleasant stay and a good night's sleep. After having read her review, we will take immediate action on some of her criticisms, some we will take under advisement, and some we understand but will not change because they represent choices we have made as budget boutique hotel rather than a full-price establishment.

Our primary goal is always to provide our guests with a restful night's sleep. While our beds may be on the firmer side, complaints about them are extremely rare. Nevertheless, we are about to begin a planned mattress upgrade that will be complete in the next two years.

The reviewer expressed annoyance with being charged for an extra pillow; we agree and have ended the policy. Charging for pillows was a policy that lingered from when we used to be a small inn. Our clientele at that time valued minimizing expenses wherever possible. Since we are now a much larger hotel, it is only right there should be no charge for extra pillows. Comforters are on order but have been delayed by our supplier. Under the promise of an earlier delivery we removed our previous comforters, which no longer met our standards. In the meantime we can only provide additional sheets. Our supplier assures us they will be arriving shortly. Also impacting the reviewer’s rest was ambient light and noise from the hallway. We are in the process of upgrading the window coverings, and over the next few months all of our guests will be able to enjoy them.

Noise for any hotel, especially in Manila, is always a major concern. Our recent effort has been to address street noise by installing double-glazed windows. We are in the process of evaluating interior noise solutions, which will include better-insulated doors and walls for a quieter room experience. Guests will begin to see the new doors around March 2012. While we are willing to consider carpeting the hallways, the current tile floors have a proven durability and highlight our hotel's cleanliness.

Cleanliness is paramount to us, so we are horrified the reviewer saw insects. We exterminate regularly, and our staff is vigilant on this matter. We will redouble our efforts to keep this from happening again, and we are sorry for farmngal's experience. Inspecting the room after reading the review, we also found the television set to be defective. It has been replaced. Had the TV’s defect been apparent to us during the reviewer’s stay, it would have been replaced immediately.

Finally, there is no excuse for any staff to sleep on the job. We have reviewed the closed-circuit video footage and disciplined the relevant staff accordingly. We will also increase the frequency that we randomly review the footage to ensure this situation does not repeat itself.

At Hotel Durban, we take particular pride in addressing deficiencies directly and immediately. Some complaints the reviewer had, however, reflect choices we have made so that we may remain inexpensive. We are a budget hotel. The reviewer paid USD 35.00 per night for two people in the heart of Makati. Neighboring hotels charge per person, not per room – easily double our rate. Those rooms, however, come with all the amenities any reviewer might request.

We also prioritize capital improvements over consumable expenses. We do not offer amenities that directly raise the cost of our rooms. After 25 years of operation, we find our guests prefer a lower room rate than "free" toiletries. This is why we decided to upgrade our lobby, furnishings, phone system, windows, and flat-panel televisions rather than offer complimentary shampoo and conditioner. That said, a fully-stocked toiletry kit will soon be available for purchase for guests who travel without one. Hairdryers will soon be available for rent. A café will be in operation by September 2012.

Our cable television package is identical to those found in Manila’s premier hotels, where viewers have a range of international channels, including HBO and CNN. However, such international variety limits the choice of channels in any one particular language. As a budget hotel, we do not provide certain premium pay channels or in-room movies.

As for the reviewer’s problems with the Internet, it is hard to address them now because we cannot know if it was something we could have fixed or something beyond our control. Our Wi-Fi signal is strong throughout the hotel. In-house bandwith is somewhat restricted during high-demand times because of the cost of packages available to us. It should be noted, however, that bandwith availability is a national problem and is being addressed by the local providers. The only way to avoid this issue would be to introduce some form of congestion pricing or charge for Internet access to limit usage, but we prefer to keep internet complimentary.

While the hotel does not have handicap access, we do have first floor rooms that may be reserved. Hotel Durban routinely has guests with special needs and we accommodate them easily. (If you have special needs, please contact the front desk directly so we can make arrangements to comfortably accommodate you.) However, we are in the process of sourcing a handicap chair lift for our disabled guests for 2014.

Hotel Durban prides itself on being the highest rated budget boutique hotel in the city, and we are known for maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness, service, and value. We work hard to keep our prices as inviting as our rooms. We constantly strive to improve our hotel and invite all questions and comments. Come see our hotel, and let us take care of you on your next trip. Safe travels.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I booked a room weeks in advance for my stay in late August with my filipina wife..... and I included in my email that I would be arriving extremely late and if a credit card was needed to secure my room. I was told NONE needed!!! I also told them that my wife may come earlier in the day just to see the room!!
NO problems...right?
WELL......my flight was slightly late, customs took LONGER than normal and I got to the hotel sometime around 2am.....

Thats when all hell broke loose..... my room was not available as I was told they did not think I would be arriving so they sold the last room to a walk-in customer!!!!

Trying to get anyone with authority to resolve my problem was impossible. After trying to say how wrong they were.... there was no room.... PERIOD!!! MY room is just not available....lol

After what may have seemed an hour....they said they could get me a room across the street but at a higher price.... I demanded they pay the difference and really, for the inconvenience they should just simply have paid for my room!!!!! I was exhausted from my 18 hours flight, frustrated to no end....and just did NOT have anymore power to argue with someone that could not do anything for me!
So... I asked the staff, should I take that room across the street and then wake up before noon and get a room back in their hotel? They simply stated that was up to me!!!! I had a second booking with them and asked if they were sure my room would be kept for me......
I cancelled the rest of that first reservation because I did NOT want to wake up hours later just to change back to my original booking and hotel!!!
A TOTAL waste of that first night and truly leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth!!

Upon arriving in Manila about a week later I found the Durban Hotel to be quite a pleasant experience....

HOWEVER.......I still feel cheated on what happened the first night!!!! and subsequent cancelling of that portion of my trip at the Durban Hotel. I was simply told the owner of the hotel is in USA and he would be told of what happened to me and my wife..... lol... OH REALLY???

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Joe T
hoteldurban, Manager at Hotel Durban, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
We regret Joe T’s recent experience at our hotel, and we would like to offer our sincerest apologies. As travelers ourselves, we know well the difficulties and stresses of traveling.

Like any hotel, we have a standard reservations policy. In our case, our reservations policy addresses the fact that we don't accept credit cards in order to keep our room rates low. We hold all reservations for up to two (2) hours after a guest’s scheduled arrival, based on the time selected by the guest. On the rare occasion when the hotel is over-booked AND the guest arrives more than two (2) hours after their scheduled arrival, accommodations are made for a similar room for that night at an alternate hotel, usually the one across the street. Our quoted room rate continues to apply. Front desk staff walks the guest to the alternate hotel, and the following morning, we welcome the guest back as soon as their room is ready. We make every effort to reconfirm reservations with our guests on the day of their arrival, but we also realize that this may not always be possible.

According to hotel records and interviews with the staff on duty, the reviewer and his party arrived more than two hours after the originally scheduled time and the hotel was full. Front Desk followed policy when the reviewer’s room was released and made arrangements for an alternate room at the hotel across the street. Unfortunately, the alternate room was not immediately ready when the reviewer did arrive – records indicate it took approximately 45 minutes. Once the room was ready, the reviewer and his party were walked to the hotel.

Our front desk made the mistake of allowing Joe T to pay for the alternate room directly. However, he never paid more than Hotel Durban’s quoted rate even though the alternate room was more expensive because Hotel Durban settled the difference, including taxes. We have since worked with our staff to ensure that our policies in this type of case are implemented correctly: that is, when a guest is placed at an alternate hotel due to overbooking, the guest pays US for the room at their originally quoted rate, and we then pay the alternate hotel, including any differences in rate and taxes. This way, the transition is seamless for the guest.

We also recognize that the reviewer requested a complimentary room because of his inconvenience. However, as a budget hotel we cannot afford to comp rooms. Instead, we make sure that our guests are comfortably settled in a similar or better hotel in the neighborhood, and that they never pay more than quoted rates at Hotel Durban.

It should be noted that before the reviewer was settled, he also wanted to speak to the owner. However, as Hotel Durban is a corporation, it is not customary for our corporate officers to settle hospitality disputes, especially late at night. We have a strong, on-site management team in place, which is trained to handle any concerns that might arise.

Hotel Durban prides itself on being the highest rated budget boutique hotel in the city, and we are known for maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness, service, and value. While we are deeply sorry for the inconvenience Joe T experienced, we are proud of our small hotel and confident we successfully handled the dispute. Perhaps it is a testament to the success of our values and policies that Hotel Durban was not only good enough for the reviewer to revisit a week later, but to actually find it “a pleasant experience” – as do the great majority of our guests. We invite you to come see our hotel, and let us take care of you on your next trip. Safe travels.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 28, 2011

The good: Great hotel, loved staying here...Rooms were cleaned every day..Never had a problem leaving things in the room..Everything i had was in its place..I felt safe in the room..The staff at the front desk was very helpful and professional..I wasnt really sure about which room size to get so to be safe i got a premium room, only 36usd.i was pleased with the room size..Outside there were several 24 hour internet cafes, lots of places to eat which were open 24hrs: Shakeys, jollibees, mcdonalds, KFC..Lots of local filipino fast food restaurants also...a block away was a 24hr 7-11, and across the street another 24hr 7-11 for water and little essentials..Taxis passed in front of the hotel 24hrs a day, so no problem in finding one. Price to Glorietta mall and Greenbelt was under 100pesos, for americans thats about 2 dollars..Price to Mall of Asia, largest mall there is about 200pesos or about 4 dollars...Nice hotel for a family, and easy access to places..Making reservations online is simple. www.hoteldurban.net..i made the mistake of going to durbaninn.com. The hotel will get back to you and let u know if rooms are available, and response is usually within 24hrs. I forgot to mention CASH ONLY, they do not take credit cards so be sure to put money aside for the room, ask them what the total will be when u check in. Hot showers in the room was a plus also...Aircon was great also

The bad: Taxi drivers from the airport have no idea where this hotel is located so make sure u have a map printed out from google...No in room safe, which would of been nice...No elevator, so if you are on the 4th floor get ready to do some walking ;)..When u make reservations ask to get a room closer to the ground level if possible..

The ugly: The hotel is located in the middle of the red light district. If your single and you plan on mongering, then city garden hotel is 50 steps to the right, oxford suites is 50 steps to the left, and citadel inn is 50 steps ahead which would probably be suited for those actions...Never had any problems walking around the area, they have tourist police dressed in orange neon shirts if one encounters any problems..

I would definitely stay here again..the convenience of getting taxis, the cleanliness of the rooms, and the helpful front desk made the stay enjoyable. Along with 24hr restaurants and mini markets

Room Tip: Choose a room closer to ground level..During the heat and humidity walking to the 4th floor can be q...