“Awesome property in the heart of Makati”
Review of Dusit Thani Manila

Dusit Thani Manila
Ranked #16 of 82 Hotels in Makati
Bakersfield, California
“Awesome property in the heart of Makati”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This was my first time staying at a Dusit Thani property and I would say this would definitely not be the last time I do so. My family and I were assisted by Ms Delos Reyes at check-in. She was very professional and courteous, she explained all the details of our stay as well. Ms Custodio at the Devarana spa was also very helpful in choosing a package for our massage treatments. Overall I would highly recommend this property to anyone looking to stay in Manila, specifically in the Makati area. The only downside of the stay was that the sink in our room, room 1612, gave off a bad odor when the faucet was turned on, especially if it was not in use for an hour or so. Other than that, great property!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dusit M, General Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Juniya75

Thank you for the great review and feedback which we truly appreciate.

We shall address the comments regarding the sink in your room to ensure this does not occur in the future.

We shall also share the comments regarding the wonderful service provided by those two staff members in particular.

We look forward to your returning in due course.

Alex Willats

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I spend only 6 hours in this hotel before I left to the airport in the following morning to catch my flight. It was a very short stay but I can say that this is a very good place to stay.

I got free upgrade to executive suite. It was a huge room in perfect conditions and good amenities. The check-in/check-out process was also very quick and efficient. Their arrangement for airport transfer was also efficient.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank rendyas
Dusit M, General Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Rendyas

Thank you for the review following your short stay with us and I am glad you enjoyed the experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay the next time you are in Manila.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 7, 2014

The hotel is located in the centre of Makati City. The hotel is surrounded by nice shops and fine restaurants. I've stayed here about 4 times already and everything was great. My family stayed here before flying back to states. I find the room already quite old. However,what I appreciate most was that they able manage to maintain the cleanliness of the room and upgrade some of the amenities like TV& ipod dock . I also wouldn't forget my exquisite and fantastic experience when I had my facial spa in DEVARANA SPA. The staffs are pretty and the lady who did a my 60mins facial spa are professional therapist which is a plus point for me. I almost felt like I was in Bangkok or Phuket because of the nice background music.The smell of the oils are really relaxing which I almost asleep because of the nice massage I had. The price is quite expensive but nonetheless the service, ambiance and the experience is worth it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CarlaTortal
Dusit M, General Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear Carlatortal

Thank you for the wonderful review and for continuing to choose Dusit Thani Manila as you place of residence when visiting the city.

I was particularly pleased to see you tried our excellent Devarana Spa this time and found the atmosphere, treatment and therapist to be of a high standard and evoke a sense of Thailand. We hope you will visit again and please share this with your friends as we now offer a "Spa-rty" for groups wanting to get together and use the Spa at the same time.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Came here for a long weekend break, and chose the hotel for a balance of price/location.

The hotel might not look so much from outside, but inside it has warmth, sophistication and good service. Check-in was swift, staff offered to help with bags (unnecessary but nice) and I was lucky enough to get an upgrade even.

The lobby area is very gold-and-black, the floor being so shiny it feels like walking on a pool of water because of the way it reflects the ceiling below your feet. Also, the lobby area uses some perfume or incense - a warm fragrance although quite strong. I liked it though.

Also off the lobby are a patisserie, access to the restaurants, the hotel bar and a small Japanese garden (this might have been the Nikko hotel a few years ago, someone said).

Getting to the room is easy enough, there are 5 lifts and even though they were hosting a conference the wait wasn't too bad. The room was very comfortable, bed excellent, nice toiletries and a view over Manila. There was a small to medium size electronic safe good enough for a tablet but maybe not larger laptops. The air-con vent was dripping water, and they were very quick indeed to get the maintenance guy round to fix it, together with other staff to keep watch and apologize (unnecessary, but a nice touch, and again good service).
I was there for 3 nights and always felt relaxed. One tip: the tall lamp has a switch near the top which is nearly flush with the stem, if you're trying to work out how to turn it on :-)

Breakfast was included in the rate for me (but isn't always) and is good - a mix of cold and hot western / local / other Asian food. Sometimes there was a short wait for a table, it's a big hotel with conferences, so before 8 is probably better.

The location was fine. By taxi it's 30-60 minutes or more from Ninoy Aquino airport but sometimes even more in heavy traffic. Travelling around Manila, for example to Intramuros, the taxis are probably the best option. The hotel will check the driver understands your destination before you set off, and makes notes with each booking to avoid problems (I had no problems, btw). Also, Ayala station was nearby on line 3 of the metro, if you want to try more do-it-yourself travel. Get a stored-value card if you plan to use it more than once but they are only for one line only. Ignore this or spend ages explaining what happened to the gate/security staff! :-)
There are lots of buses near the hotel but I didn't try them.

Eating won't be a problem - about 2 minutes walk away (you can see it from the corner) is the Glorietta multi-mall with 5 or 6 malls in a cluster, and others also nearby. Plus the hotel restaurants are good, and there's a convenience store right in front of the hotel for drinks and snacks (the hotel seems to provide free bottled water). The hotel Japanese restaurant Umu was good (I live in Japan so I should know) but not cheap. There are others also which I didn't try.

Overall a nice place.

Room Tip: If you're lucky enough to get a suite they are a huge but sometimes a bit dated. Recommended tho...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank mjb1001
Dear MJB1001

Thank you for the wonderful review of the hotel and area following your recent stay with us.

We hope that you will choose to visit us the next time you are in Manila and take advantage of the wonderful improvements we are currently maki9ng to the hotel. If you are a regular traveler to Manila why not sign up for our Dusit Gold Card and become a loyalty member of the group who have hotels across Asia and the rest of the world. Simply go online or ask one of our staff for assistance the next time you are in the hotel.

Pasig, Philippines
Reviewed May 5, 2014

The visit was a weekend family get-away with two kids, ages of 9 and 4. I can say that stay was very good because my kids enjoyed the hotel immensely. They loved the room and the king-sized bed which were big enough for us and the TV cable channels. We also maximized the use of the pool. I love that they have a kiddie pool for my 4 year old. Though there was still some repairs being done in the pool area, it did not distract us from enjoying the pool. The adult pool can be crowded though. I also like it that they have a non-slip mat in the bath tub. Most of the hotels we stayed-in lack this and it is vital for the guests' safety as accidents due to slips can occur without these.

We did not dine in the hotel because the food is a bit costly. But there is a Family Mart right across the hotel which is open 24 hrs and serves food both for take-out and dine-in. Glorietta and SM Malls are also just walking distance so looking for restaurants will not be a problem.

Over-all we enjoyed the stay and did not encounter a problem. But the hotel can improve luggage service though. It took quite a while for our luggage to be fetched when we checked-out.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Dusit Worldwide Co. Ltd

1 Thank Sette_G
Dusit M, General Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Sette_G

Thank you for the review following your recent stay and I have noted the speed of luggage service to be improved. I am please that overall you and the family enjoyed the visit and I hope that next time you come you will try our restaurants which cater to all tastes particularly our all day dining restaurant and our Italian, Tosca which has competitive pricing.

Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

we booked the executive room suite and it was great. room is well kept. the bathroom is really nice. beds are comfortable. room is complete. location is near a mall. food is awesome. hotel is convenient.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank viveka13013
Dear Viveka13013

Thank you for the wonderful review and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Dusit Club the next time you are in Manila.

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed May 3, 2014

My stay got off to a very frustrating and disappointing start and never quite recovered. My check-in experience was the worst I have ever encountered.

On arrival, I was shown by the bellboy where to stand for check in. I noticed a line next to me and asked should I wait there instead but was told no I could stay where I was. A few minutes later, I was asked to join the line I had asked about earlier which had now grown longer. While waiting in line, Grace approached me for my passport and luggage tag, which were both provided to her. I mentioned I have a Dusit Gold card after noticing a counter which had Dusit Gold on it but made no difference, even though not one person was lined up at it. Not sure why they offer this card as it seems a waste of time.

After the check-in process was complete, I was told my luggage would be in my room by the time I got there. This didn't happen and in fact it took several calls between myself and baggage services to try and resolve it which didn't happen. I ended up returning to the front desk and co-incidentally was assisted by Grace. I explained the problem and offered to identify the luggage, as I had offered on the phone. It was at this time I noticed a number of bellboys just chatting and laughing while Grace went into the room to retrieve my luggage. Even though she struggled to get my bags past others, not one of these "workers" went to assist her. Terrible look for a hotel that charges a high price for a lack of caring baggage service staff.

I won't go into a long story about trying to get a pre-booked cot into the room let alone a blanket to use in it, although I was told it would be a few hours before the blanket could be delivered. Really? and this is a "quality" hotel group?

I lodge a complaint with Ayaka Tamura, a guest services manager, who offered a room upgrade. I declined as it had taken forever to get my luggage, cot and cot blanket to this room and I was so angry I didn't want to move.

There are a lot of good points, its location near SM and other malls, the food and the large number of choices, the ability to choose the time of your free daily meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner), the friendly security staff particularly those at the side of the hotel closest to SM, the lovely pool area.

The other bad points are the small rooms, the dark hallways, the fragrance they had in the lobby which was sickly overpowering, and of course the extremely poor check-in experience.

Would I stay again, seeing the Dusit gold card is a waste of time, I think I will be availing of the cheaper options within the same vicinity in future.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ScottieB68
Dusit M, General Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear ScottieB68

Thank you for taking the time to detail your disappointing and frustrating arrival experience and please allow me to apologise that these issues occurred.

As Dusit Gold Card Holder you are correct in that you should have moved to the separate check-in counter reserved for our priviledge cardholders to facilitate speed of service. I have shared these comments with the management and staffs involved to ensure that similar members of the programme do not experience this going forward.

I would like to ask that you contact my office directly for your future booking as I would like to ensure that all details are handled appropriately prior to your arrival and demonstrate that we are clearly able to provide the service and standard one would expect of a hotel such as ours.

Thank you once again for your time and on behalf of the staffs please accept my apologies once again.