“Just Average”
Review of Dusit Thani Manila

Dusit Thani Manila
Ranked #20 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Choosing a hotel in Manila/Makati can be overwhelming as there are so many options available. I ended up choosing the Dusit for a few reasons: proximity to shopping area to keep family entertained, decent reviews on tripadvisor and they are one of two hotels in Manila that offers VIP benefits for Expedia Elite customers (not that any benefits were presented to me).

I arrived at the hotel at exactly 2pm, the hotel's designated check-in time. The room was not ready and the receptionist informed me she had called housekeeping to prepare the room (why couldn't this have been done prior to arrival!). Also, I strongly noted my request for connecting rooms on my reservation as I was traveling with my nanny and 2 sons. There were no connecting rooms available. This was absolutely the most irritating issue with my stay, having my family separated. Although the receptionist gave us drink tickets and was able to block the connecting room for the following day, it was still a huge inconvenience that first day not being able to completely unpack or relax since we had to move again the next day. I was given a nice fruit tray and fresh flowers, not sure if this is due to Expedia Elite access or due to the hour-long wait. That hour felt like 3 with 2 cranky kids after a long flight.

On the first day, we were put on the 6th floor. The bellman confirmed that the rooms were non-smoking, but I could still smell traces of smoke. We moved to the 11th floor the rest of the stay. The corridors right out of the elevator always had a pungent cigarette smoke smell, which was bothersome, but the rooms smelled ok. The amenities in each room were different, the 6th floor has upscale amenities compared to those I received on the 11th floor. Also, one of my rooms must have been ADA accessible because the shower was at waist-level. This made no sense to me, at least a hook should be available so one can shower without having to hold the shower head the whole time. I did notice the showers in all the rooms were slow to drain, which other customers have complained about.

Breakfast had a good selection, but when they are busy, it's hard to get service. They also sometimes run out of the condiments (i.e. no eggs, vegetables, etc on the noodle station). Pancakes and waffles were slow to make. Overall, I would still recommending purchasing a package with breakfast vs. without. Did not try other restaurants as there are an abundance of options in the nearby shopping mall.

Beds are comfortable, but TV's seem small for the size of the room. Security is really good - you can't access floors without a room key and each parcel is checked on entrance of the hotel. Also, the airport transportation is good although a bit pricey for a 10-15 minute drive.

Overall it's a good hotel, but nothing spectacular, just average. They should make the whole hotel non-smoking like others in the area have done.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Dusit M, General Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Angelmyth,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. The service lapses you received are unacceptable and definitely do not meet our Dusit Thani standards and I am sorry that you and your family were subjected to this.

I have discussed your comments and experience with my management team and corrective measures have been taken immediately to prevent any occurrence in the future.

As a result of your inconvenience I would like to extend to you without prejudice an upgrade to one of our two bedroom suites with access to our newly opened executive lounge for you and your family to enjoy the next time you should be visiting Manila.

I do hope that this may go some way to encourage you to stay with us again in the future and demonstrate that we are able to provide the service and expectations one has when traveling with family members.

I look forward to having the opportunity of meeting you in the future and ask that you contact my personal assistant, Ms. Chona Martinez whom will assist you with the booking requirements and complimentary upgrade.

Yours sincerely

Alex Willats

Write a ReviewReviews (2,190)

Reviewed September 8, 2013

There was heavy construction work (drilling, etc...) on Sunday afternoon beside the pool. I brought this up with the guest relationship person, who said that they would bring it up with the engineer, which I found was irrelevant.

I found it very disappointing. If the management of this hotel does not realize that they should not be doing any heavy construction work beside the pool during the weekend as this is the only time many people who work long hours during the week can relax, then, they have no business being in the hospitality sector. Just the fact that they need to be reminded of this trivial fact is really beyond me!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BSAJ381

Dear BSAJ381,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay with us. We have taken note of your comments regarding the construction works by the poolside and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and disturbance this may have caused you and other guests of the hotel.

It is always a challenge to manage any construction works within the confines of the complex however I can empathize and understand that we should have been more sympathetic with works carried out at weekends.

We, of course do not wish to cause unnecessary disruption or discomfort to guests during their stay and I am sorry once again that these works interrupted what should have been a restful poolside experience for you.

I would like to thank you for your constructive comments and rest assured the management team will take into account such aspects before embarking on future works.

Yours Sincerely

Alex Willats

Reviewed September 6, 2013

First stay at Dusit Thani. Hotel is close to airport. Staffs are very efficient and friendly. Security is tight,feel secure. Wireless Internet is available and free. The only downside is the room,small ad older fixtures,needs renovation. Yes I will recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Dusit M, Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear ACruz2013,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Manila.

It gives us great pleasure to know that you feel safe during your recent stay with us and appreciate our location and friendly staff.

With regard to your comments on the condition of our guestrooms, we are happy to share with you that we are currently undergoing extensive renovations, which will include the guestrooms, our All Day Dining restaurant as well as a new Lobby Lounge and Bar.

Once again, thank you for your recommendation and we would love to have the pleasure of serving you again.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have stayed at the Dusit hotel in Makati multiple times and always found the service and quality to be outstanding. The property had a nice pool and interior was clean and well designed. The staff were very friendly and i highly recommend this hotel for your stay.The food is good with plenty of choices. It is also right next to a large shopping complex so that is a big plus.The wireless service is dependable.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Dirkvdbeuro,

We are grateful for your continuous patronage.

Our entire team appreciates that you enjoyed our facilities; the nice pool and interiors, our friendly staff and our extensive buffet spread at our All Day Dining restaurant, Basix. Indeed, our location is also a major plus because it gives our guests easy access to shopping and entertainment centers, amongst others.

We sincerely hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Dusit Thani Manila very soon!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed at the Dusit hotel in Makati multiple times and always found the service and quality to be outstanding. I have also stayed at other hotels in the area but this is now my hotel of choice. The rooms are clean and nice with plenty of room. The wireless service is dependable. The food is good with plenty of choices. It is also right next to a large shopping complex so that is a big plus.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Shariza R, Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear AnLDSTraveler,

It is wonderful to know that you had an excellent experience on your recent stay with us. Thank you for your continuous patronage.

Your satisfaction is our main priority and we are glad that you experienced that. Your kind words will definitely boosts the confidence of our team.

We would love to have the pleasure of serving you again.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel was about 10 minutes away from the airport which was very convenient. The property had a nice pool and interior was clean and well designed. The staff were very friendly and i highly recommend this hotel for your stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Shariza R, Manager at Dusit Thani Manila, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear Pbrady74,

We are very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and we appreciate your recommendation.

It is nice to know that you appreciate the design elements of the hotel. We are happy to share with you that we are currently undergoing extensive renovation of our guestrooms to further enhance guests’ experience. An All day Dining restaurant, a new Lobby Lounge and Bar will follow there after. We hope that you can come back and experience our other amenities and facilities such as the Deverana Spa and our Dusit Club Lounge.

Once again, thank you for your kind words. We look forward to welcome you back on your next visit.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

For a start the airport shuttle from the airport is a scam. I was met by the hotel representative who arrange a private bus to take me to the hotel. The cost of this was 1000 pesos. I thought this was excessive so I decided take a taxi next day back to the airport, cost 170 pesos. If the hotel does not have a shuttle bus, why do they allow the local bus contractors to rip off their customers. I was met by nobody at the hotel, plenty of staff but I had to carry my own bags to reception and on to the room. The room was spacious and comfortable and the bathroom adequate but the hand held shower hook was knee high, ok if you want to lay down in the bath to shower or shower one hand while holding the shower head. Breakfast was ok with a good range of Asian and western food. Unfortunately the shuttle service and arrival at the hotel left a bitter taste in my mouth. I will try another hotel next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the construction site adjacent