“A thai-experience in Philippines”
Review of Dusit Thani Manila

Dusit Thani Manila
Ranked #18 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed November 2, 2011

The first thing we arrived at this hotel was wondering if we landed in Thailand or Philippines.
Everything was so Thai! The costumes, the layout, the fragrance and the music.
The service staff were very helpful and friendly, and spoke good English. However, they might need to try speeding up the check-in & out process (maybe separate the counters) because there was a long queue especially when groups arrived at the same time.
Accurate information was not really provided until we realised the discrepancy provided to between my boss & I. Wi-fi is not available and you will have to pay for the Internet charges.
The room is spacious, and clean. A very comfortable stay.
However we were not able to try the breakfast provided since we had to travel out early in the mornings.
The location is also ideal, as next to the big malls and there's a massage parlour just across the street.

The Japanese and Italian restaurants both have very good ambience, but cost was a little way high.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Dusit Thani Manila

Reviewed October 31, 2011

My review of Dusit Thani Manila is unusually short for me. This is because our stay was very short and restricted…..due to British Airways diverting our flight from London to Hong Kong to Manila instead, due to typhoon conditions in HK.
So only a 1 night stay. I must compliment British Airways on their arrangements for diverted passengers. This is a very comfortable upmarket hotel and they arranged our accommodation here as well as dinner and breakfast.

Location I can’t comment on. We were not in a position to investigate the local area (maybe just as well as I wouldn’t be too comfortable strolling around Manila after dark). The mini bus took about 20 minutes from the airport.

The room was good sized with a large comfy bed. Clean……maybe coming up for a little bit of redecoration, but perfectly OK. Free safe and wifi (I think, from memory), good storage. Excellent buffet dinner provided in the main restaurant off the foyer, and similarly first class breakfast. The bar was Ok that evening…though we were slightly overcharged for our drinks. Presumably a genuine accident, and quickly rectified.

The staff did fantastically well welcoming in what must have been scores of BA passengers unexpectedly. As a Thai owned hotel chain, and with a background of using good hotels in Thailand, this great welcome, and efficient check in for all those unannounced passengers, does not surprise me.

We did not get the opportunity to try any of the hotel’s other facilities. Maybe slightly dated in appearance, a great welcome though. In the unlikely event I am back in Manila, I would use Dusit Thani.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2011

The greatest features of the Dusit Thani Manila are service and location. The location amidst Glorietta and SM malls and close to Greenbelt is really ideal for both shopping and dining.

The service is top notch. You will be greeted by attentive employees wherever you turn. Only a few very minor items were overlooked during my 3 weeks there.

The fact that the place boasts 5 restaurants (by my count, not theirs), a snack counter, and bars is very helpful. One of the restaurants is open 24 hours, as well as 24 hour room service, which can be useful. It is a nice alternatives to most hotels which only offer 1-2 eating options.

While the breakfast buffet may not be the best in the world, it offers a variety of American, European, Filipino, Indian, and Japanese items.

The rooms are overall average - not necessarily better or worse than the competition in the same price range. I found the room adequate but was a bit frustrated by the lack of storage space (drawers and shelves).

The lobby area felt fairly luxurious and inviting, as well as being extremely spacious. During daylight hours you are greeted by a live musician playing a soothing melody on a Thai khim stringed instrument. (The rest of the time you hear a recording of same.)

The hotel offers a spa (which my friend enjoyed) and a full range of service including currency exchange, laundry and airport transfer.

Room Tip: A colleague found the rooms on the "sunrise" side to be drier and better for allergies dur...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2011

My first stay at Dusit Thani when I was 20, was great the shopping mall was a walking distance! loved it! The hotel smelled great, and also looked good. All the staff were friendly, very kind, except for the lady at the pool area she had major attitude problem. The hotel itself wasn't at all boring there were ladies playing instruments at the lobby, a clown, it was filled with people, doesn't get too noisy, but just right. You can shop all day without worrying if you still have a ride to fetch, because the hotel is right next door. The disappointing part though, was the bathroom it was so tiny kinda disgusting as well, and then we I got in the sheets it was so dusty! Yuck I ended up staying on the same spot and not even moving, the view was nice though.

My second stay was when I was 21, and this time I complained they put me in a room where you can open door, like a connecting room, me and my mom didn't get to sleep after a long day of shopping the guest next door was so loud! they were screaming and laughing so much! to top it off the room was filled with smoke after I requested for a non-smoking floor. But I give them credits, because the manager of the hotel was really nice and apologetic she offered to give us a suite the next time we visit, which I don't on coming back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I travel to Manila regularly on business and whilst my stays are only between two and five days, I always stop at this Five Star property because of its central location. It is an hotel which is equally suited to both the business traveller or the holidaymaker wishing to visit this city. It has all the amenities one would expect to find at a five star property but additionally, I have found that the meals are very good and most reasonably priced for a 5 star property. All of my rooms have been clean, confortable and spacious. The staff are most pleasant and respectful. The one letdown however is that Wifi internet conection is an additional charge, unlike many of the other 4 and 5 star properties which I stop at around the world. Nontheless I would give this a big tick and recommend to others

Room Tip: Having stayed here on only four occasions, I find difficulty in rendering advice on which rooms to c...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Even with the new management and renovation, Hotel Nikko to Dusit Thani, the bathroom is still really old and dirty and small. It doesnt fit to be a 5 star hotel. The buffet breakfast was not satisfying as there were few choices. The only good thing about it is its location within the shopping center

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank vangiehayashi
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Traveling with two ypung children we wanted to stay somewhere that the children would be happy in for a couple of nights. Having stayed at other places with kids playrooms we knew our four year old loved them so when seeing the dust offer of a family package we several inclusions including free use of play room we booked up. We arrived at the dusit and the check in was great. We were taken to the business centre and had preferential check in along with a drink and sweets for the kids. On arrival at the room things started to go downhill. The room was old, small and dated. The safety deposit box was faulty, the tv worked intermittently, the sink was clean until you looked under the overlapping counter and saw the mold growing, the bath had black streaks on it, and when I tried to shower the drain was either blocked or not sized correctly as the bath filled due to the water coming in being greater than the drain could get rid of. As stated we went on the family package they had advertised and so went looking for the play centre. When we couldn't find it we approached the place we checked in and they told us it wasn't open now. I asked if it was open the next day and they made a phone call and then said no. I asked why, and they replied as it isn't built yet. Instead they offered free Internet to us. We then went for a meal at the Thai restaurant in the hotel. Great food and great service. But when we had asked about the 20% discount on the food based on the family package we got told by guest services we don't get it. I had to show them their own website before they believed me, then they applied it wrong and we spent a lot of time at check out getting it corrected. The package also included milk and cookies at turndown for the children. What turndown? Our room never ceived turndown and so the first night I called room service for the milk and cookies, the second the children fell asleep and nothing ever arrived.
We went to visit the pool. This is located on the second floor roof and while it looks nice enough there was nothing relaxing about it as the traffic noises from the main roads running by it are far too loud. We had some drinks down at the lounge/bar on the ground floor. My drink arrived with a glass, no offer was made to pour it. To get a second drink I had to go seek out a waitress as they never came up and offered any service. The breakfast was reasonable however again the staff stood around and I asked for a cup of coffee three times before getting one. The only good thing about the hotel was the location and the Thai restaurant, the rest was poor and the service is similar to many budget hotels and cleanliness appears poor.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family