“Recomended hotel in Makati”
Review of Dusit Thani Manila

Dusit Thani Manila
Ranked #17 of 82 Hotels in Makati
Oslo, Norway
“Recomended hotel in Makati”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed at Dusit Manila in Makati two times during summer 2011. We were very happy with the hotel. First stay was without club access and second was with club access. I would say that if the price of getting a room with club acces it is really recomended. Nice rooms, priority check-in(out) and free dringks between 5pm and 8pm in the club lounge. However, the hotel is nice regardless of club access or not.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tobias S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed here (Me, my husband, and my daughter) January 20-22. I thought the reviews here on Trip Advisor were favorable so we took a chance. We were very happy with our stay here, LOVED the location, and decent room.

First off, we got dropped off early by our driver and I worried it would be a problem getting our room-it wasn't. We had no hassles checking in early. But I will say I was not crazy about the front desk setup and the check in/check out process as others have mentioned. The lady directing the line for check in also pre checks your passport and reservation info before you even get to the front desk and she gave us a headache over the travel agent having put a ms in front of my husbands name. I mean obviously it's a mistake but it was as if a serious crime had been committed. But after that little snag it was smooth sailing.

The exterior and lobby are very impressive and the room was nice and clean. We got a room with 2 single beds which was a tad tricky with our daughter also staying in the room. I had to sleep with her and it was very cramped, my husband took the other bed. The beds were a bit on the hard side so I woke up stiff. The bathroom was on the small side, with a small sink and counter area. The plug in the bathroom cannot accommodate a hair dryer or flat iron, it was only labeled for a shaver. This was quite annoying and I ended up having to fix my hair at the desk in the room instead.

The room had a mini fridge which worked great, the air conditioning work great as well, and our room had a great view of the pretty pool area. The room also had a nice flat screen TV with a decent selection of channels.

We got the free breakfast buffet with our room daily, but only used it on the last day of our stay. I feel they had a decent selection of breakfast items to choose from, enough for your basic needs so we were satisfied.

But the best part about the Dusit is the location hands down! We didn't have a need for a taxi or driver at all during our 2 night stay. It's within walking distance to the Glorietta mall and the SM supermarket which was really big and really nice. And there are all sorts of restaurants along the way, lots to choose from. It was so nice to just walk around and not have to deal with traffic! Having that supermarket across the street was great, we were able to pick up drinks to go in our mini fridge and snacks to bring back to our room.

Overall this is a good choice for the location, it's clean and well maintained. I would stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank amshadow1
Long Beach, California
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My family and I booked two rooms on July 10 & July 11. Plane from Los Angeles landed early and we arrived at Dusit around 9 am. I requested if it is possible to check in early and was informed by the front desk about the 2 pm check in policy. However, the lady helping me (her name was Aiko) saw I was incoherent with exhaustion. She went and talked to her manager (Jen Pelaes) and came back that they can check us in into one room and that we will be informed when the other one is available. We were all grateful about this especially after an 18 hour flight. Ms. Pelaes took the extra step to call the room to find out how we were finding our accomodation. I asked if me and my husband could have a king bed in the second room. My sister commented that she found the current room too small and confining. She also added she would prefer that it would be preferable if our group would be placed in rooms next to each other. I was not expecting much but Ms. Pelaes met with us and showed us two connecting rooms that were larger. Now that is exceptional customer service! I will definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I recently stayed in Manila at the Dusit Thani. I was there for a golf trip with a friend of mine from Tokyo.

The check in process was pretty smooth, and I was offered help to carry my golf bag and suitacase, help which continued through to the room itself.

The room was spacious and very modern, with good air conditioning and very clean. The bed was very comfortable and had new, clean, soft cotton sheets which I would have thought were pretty high threadcount. Toiletries were available and were replaced every day as I used them, and all in all I felt like nothing was missing from the room in any way.

My only gripe would be that the shower (in my room at least - 504), was above the bath, and I always prefere a seperate shower cubicle instead - but a minor gripe.

I stayed on the 5th floor but my friend was on 20 something, obviously a lot higher up. Whilst the weater pressure in my shower was impressively strong (a real positive for me) - he reckons the water pressure on the 20th floor was a bit weak, and therefore I think I would advise if you like a strong water pressure for your morning and evening shower, a lower floor would be a better choice.

We had breakfast included in our very reasonable room rate (circa 130 USD a night), and the slection was extremely varied - I dont think anyone would have a problem with the buffet. Not the best coffee in the world perhaps would be the only negative I can think of.

The Thai restuarant in the hotel is truly exceptional - some of the best Thai food I have eaten in some time - and I know my way around a Thai menu. Obviously being Thai owned has its advantages!

Overall - a very decent effort I thought.

Room Tip: If you want stronger water pressure for your shower, request a "lower" floor...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I booked 3 rooms for overnight stay with family. Disapointing, rooms were not ready until after 5 pm and all three rooms smell strongly of cigarette smoke, though I specifically asked for a non smoking rooms. I was told there no other room and was not given other option.

Lobby is impressive but it stops there. Rooms are old and small, beds uncomfortable and lumpy. Bathroom unremarkable.

Thai restaurant pricey. Coffee!! I would not call that coffee. Buffett breakfast is ordinary. Will not go back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Jasper6678
Highland Park, Illinois
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Upon arrival, we were greeted by extremely friendly staff. The lobby was beautiful, but a little hot. I'm not sure if there was air conditioning there. I had high hopes for this hotel, hearing that it was 5 stars. But I was extremely disappointed when we walked into our room. It was in desperate need of an update. Everything was old and worn and the king-sized bed was as hard as a rock. I woke up the following morning SORE! The bathroom was nothing to brag about. The toilet was clearly not cleaned properly and the tub looked as if previous damage was just painted over.

We breakfast buffet we attended was free. The food was ok. The scrambled eggs were not appealing at all; it was soupy! Pancakes were really hard. Wait staff was very attentive, though.

I thought it was annoying to have to swipe your keycard every time to be able to use the elevator. More than once, the keycard stopped working and I found myself stuck in the elevator waiting to go back to the ground floor to get my keycard revalidated while it brought other guests to their floors. It was also annoying to have to leave a keycard in a slot to keep the electricity on in the room. We took the keycard out when leaving (so each of us could have an keycard) and when we came back, the room was hot and everything in the fridge was warm. Also found it annoying that we couldn't visit friends on different floors without having to meet them in the lobby first (your keycard only works for the floor you're on).

The bottom line is, I don't know who decided to rate this hotel 4.5-5 stars. Will not stay here ever again if I can help it. Will stick to Shangri-La!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank latsyrhc
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed July 21, 2011

If you're a traveller with enough pocket money for staying in a posh hotel for your vacation, then this hotel should be included in your list of where to stay "when I'm on vacation". The place is located at the heart of Makati area. You can be assured that its safe, secure and easily accessible. Rooms are well kept, fresh, clean with soft soft pillows to sleep on. Food choices are a myriad from western/european cuisine to Japanese to Thai. One may avail of their Sunday Crossover brunch/lunch for a buffet that includes the food from all their restos, the only downside is you have to go from each restaurant then bring your food laden plate back to where you originally went to eat. But food is g-r-e-a-t. Facilities are up to date and maintained. Spa experience is a must for ladies, as well as gents. And if one should look for some retail therapy, Glorietta and Greenbelt are just right around the corner. Or if you want some night life, tere are a lot of cool, trendy bars to choose around the area. Worth your money to stay here!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family