“If you have the budget, stay somewhere else”
Review of BSA Tower

BSA Tower
Ranked #34 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Makati
Reviewed May 26, 2013

As other reviewers have said, these apartments are owned by individuals so may vary in standard, but the two I tried - I asked to be moved after night one because of noise and my colleague also test drove 2 rooms - were both sub-standard. I was on business and the location is good. The rooms are large (another positive), and there is a 7Eleven next door. But this is where my 'good feature list' runs out of steam. Noisy aircon units, noise from the Greenbelt party zone, if you are unfortunate enough to be on that side, tired looking rooms, a rather impressive colony of cockroaches, a generally unpleasant dank smell and the worst breakfast I can ever remember being included with my room price - sweet, soggy white bread trying to impersonate a piece of toast, a cold glassy looking fried egg, and what I think was spam from a tube which was squeezed onto the plate in the style of faecal matter. I have probably said enough. As the title says, unless your budget demands, look elsewhere.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SingaporeTraveller88

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We recently stayed at the BSA Tower and felt mixed about our experience here. The price doesn't seem to match the quality of this old building and tired rooms but the location is spot on perfect, literally right across the street from Greenbelt 5 in Makati.

We made reservations by booking.com, prepaid. Requires PHP2000 or credit card, security deposit upon check in

Pros
- Excellent location, just opposite Greenbelt 5
- Spacious studio w/ partition between bedroom and living/dining area/kitchen
- Kitchen was equipped with rice cooker, microwave and fridge, gas stove and dinnerware
- Room with a nice view of Greenbelt
- Luggage storage
- Lobby looks nice and staff were friendly

Cons
- Room is basic, tired looking
- Kitchen: Microwave was on top of the fridge and there is one electrical outlet next to them. However the plug for the microwave does not reach the said outlet so we had to move the microwave to use the outlet near the sink (we needed to heat the breakfast that was delivered as it was quite cold)
- Bedroom: Bed was quite firm and short. Door to balcony was locked.
- No personal safe
- Working bathroom fixtures but shower only had moderate pressure and toilet had moderate flush
- Airconditioning units were both not working well, just kept the room temperature at neutral. And the AC units should be cleaned!

Others
- Breakfast was quite basic, was cold by the time it was delivered (we'd skip for breakfast elsewhere next time)
- We couldn't see through the eyehole in the door.
Kitchen: No pots/pans for cooking but you can request a few items from management.

Dealmaker/breaker
Admittedly the quality of our studio room in BSA Tower did not match its cost but it remains a decent option for a short stay in Makati primarily because of its great location. On this basis we might consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Order your breakfast early in the day. Had ours late it was a bit cold.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BradJill
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Checked-in my in-laws here last month and they enjoyed it! Shopping and eating is the best! I recommend to walk the elevated pathway passing through greenbelt, Landmark, Glorietta and SM. So many options on shopping and restaurants. BSA Tower is the perfect location for all this. The hotel rooms are big and comfortable too. WiFi is good. The hotel staff are likewise courteous and friendly. Great for business and pleasure! We will be back soon!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I read reviews prior to booking so was anxious about our stay. The location is great. All the staff were very friendly and helpful contrary to other reviews. Check in/out fast and efficient, 2pm check in is just that, don't expect to get in earlier. The room was very basic with worn out furnishings, they had freshly painted so paint smell was off putting for a few days. The bed was comfortable air conditioners were noisy but worked well. Towels and linen were clean but well worn. On 20th floor, veranda door opened, didn't have to sign anything. We had breakfast included, it's not worth it, turned up late and cold and was un-edible, cancelled it after the 2nd day. No iron in the room, had to request one, not a big deal, one was sent up. Housekeeping personnel very efficient. The lifts were quick during the week but come Saturday there was a long wait the elevator lobbies are not air-conditioned and in 35 degree heat the wait was a sweaty one. They could do a lot with this place, do not expect luxury I wouldn't stay again but it was only a place to sleep, not hang out.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Goodlifeperth
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I do not normally complain about hotels or condotels. I have been in the Philippines twice before and I have known what to expect. I do not normally complain, but this condotel disappointed us so much that I decided to write a review.

We booked this hotel twice three months before our arrival in the Philippines. One was for a one night stay and for five nights two weeks after the first stay.

The first time we were told that they're transferring us to another BSA hotel because there were no rooms available. We booked it 3 months in advanced and they had no room available. Unbelievable! What really irked us the most was that the receptionist did not even bother to apologize to us for this inconvenience. We booked this hotel because it was right across Greenbelt. The other hotel was 10 minutes away. Well, what else was there to do. I demanded that they give us a refund for this inconvenience. They did - 300 pesos.

As for the second time, here are my observations:

1. BREAKFAST. I asked the receptionist what kind of breakfast they serve and she said that there's a choice between filipino and continental breakfast. I told her that we wanted continental. Lo and behold, for the entire duration of our stay, we were served rice and some kind of meat, which we tried the first day. It was awful. Don't let me start on the orange juice. I complained about this twice and obviously, it fell on deaf ears. We were given the same thing that we just gave up.

2. ROOM. It was quite big. We had a living room, a kitchen, and a small bedroom. Unfortunately, there is nothing else to praise about the room. The furniture was so old, the bed was uncomfortable, and the aircon was so noisy we had trouble sleeping. Then there was the bathroom. Not only was the exhaust fan extremely noisy, but the shower as well. It created this awful sound that we were afraid to use it. Plus, the water came in small trickles. Oh, the towels - they were so overused and thin.

The funniest thing was the TV. When we arrived, we had a flat screen tv. Two days later, after a day of shopping, we were surprised to find an old fat TV instead of the flat screen. Whoever removed it did not even bother to plug the cable.

The hotel also does not have a hairdryer. We had to request for it, but unfortunately, it was unavailable.

I complained about these problems, but again to no avail.

3. STAFF. The worst in the Philippines. This country is known for friendly people and this place is the one and only place where I encountered people who don't even smile. They were just simply unhappy and unhelpful.

I can go on and on. Book at your own risk. But then again, don't tell me I didn't warn you.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank MarinetteS_13
Reviewed April 1, 2013

BSA Tower in Makati is strategically located in across the road from Greenbelt 5. Aside from the location BSA Tower offers relatively little, the building is showing signs of its age and the room on the 11th floor, a two bedroom apartment, which we stayed in for three days had seen better days.
The apartment had a kitchen, dining table and living room aside from two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The rooms were relatively spacious, though the two bathrooms were cramped and did not have consistently warm water after using the shower for several minutes. The room was generally clean and the bedding and linen clean and tidy.
The best selling point of the hotel is the location, immediately across from Greenbelt 5 and all the conveniences of living in the center of Makati with great shopping, restaurants, cinemas and conveniences on your doorstep. If your looking for a clean and safe hotel and one with a fantastic location at an affordable price this is hard to beat. Other hotels with similar, if not inferior, locations charge almost twice the rate so for the budget/location conscious BSA Tower is hard to beat.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EyesontheGlobe
Reviewed March 20, 2013

BSA was referred by our colleagues in our Manila Sales office. Surprisingly it was just across Greenbelt 5 much to my amazement. Being right in the heart of Makati is definitely an advantage especially for us doing sales call in Mega Manila.

Check in was no fuss and straight to the business. It's the usual check in time of 2pm.

The room was the standard room and you have to sign a waiver if you want to have the veranda door open.

The ref was big and the room was equipped with a microwave. Iron and ironing board are available upon request.

The toilet and bath were spacious and were clean enough. Basic toiletries were also provided Running warm and cold water is fully functional.

The lifts were quite fast and enough to cover everyone.

For the price that we paid, all of my basic needs were covered. It even has a plated breakfast and was really happy with the pancake meal.

Room Tip: Wifi connection is available for free but good for one user/device only
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business