“The hotel is nice and affordable price..”

Makati Palace Hotel
Ranked #71 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My Nephew booked in the Hotel for 3 days LAst JUne. I visited the place it was a nice hotel and very affordable. My only comment is the lack of courtesy from the staff specially the bellman, (his name is MARK , I asked the front desk for his name) he is very slow and seems not focus on his job. I asked him thrice and he did even bother to answer back. A very discourteous GUy. I think he is not suitable for his Job

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I have stayed here four times….which is a real compliment to the place as I prefer to always break new ground on my travels. My first review on Makati palace was called 'I loved it'.

Typically the Filipino service is very friendly, the girls are so sweet and the guys are cool, fun and respectful. I love the people and want to share this part of an email I sent my brother about my stays there….

'I often set up my computer in the lobby or restaurant and work there all day to get me out of the room. I get one of the waiters to take 1,000 Peso note (about $25) and ask him to go change it to 50’s and 100 Peso notes. He comes back with the bundle of cash intact. I give him 100 and tell him to keep it .....he slips it quickly into his pocket. I give him 1 x 50 peso note for every person working (about 4 more) in the restaurant including the lady sweeping the floor over at the back, and tell him to hand them around, one each. Every one of them then approach me by turn thanking and bowing with a classic broad Filipino shy smile...wishing me a lovely day sir! What a great feeling it is. All for the bargain price of $25 a day....4 days = $100 in tips and I get to make that many people happy, 5 star service and celebrity status.'

Well this time it wasn't so. Those exact same faces seem to have lost some interest in their jobs, and in me. I had to keep asking them for service and once had to get up and ask them if I had become invisible.

Moving on, as the restaurant service was not the real concern. It is the maintenance, or lack of it. What was once a Palace is slowly becoming a tired old building. The lobby and restaurant is maintained well, but that ends at the lift doors. Now if you think about it, the lift is the one very concentrated room in the building that very single guest must use, it is unavoidable. Every guest uses this little wee room every day. So why it would be left unmaintained and unclean I can't understand. The walls of gold are smeared and unclean….the buttons are broken and falling out, and being sticky taped back together!

The rooms key-card that are supposed to let me in failed every day. I spent countless trips down to the lobby ask to be let in to my room. For one and a half days the whole buildings key system failed and no guests had room key-cards. The Wi Fi your are charged steeply for does not work on this trip…. The last times it was ok. The carpet in the accommodation levels hallways has become old and is coming up around the seams, and smells a bit damp. No maintenance is being done on the walls and hallways especially around the lifts and they are becoming scruffy.

About the rooms, if you choose the deluxe room they are great and cost around $75USD on Wotif. Good value and well worth it. If you choose the Superior room, they are ONLY $10 (420 Peso) less, selling at $65USD and awful (so I am not sure why they are called Superior). They are more like a $45 room. They have no carpet and no centralised air conditioning and are on the upper levels that the lifts take ages to reach. I booked the wrong one this time and to upgrade got asked for 1,500 Peso per night, that I fought very hard to get down to 1,000 Peso a night after persisting with my argument they are sold on line at only 420 Peso more. Adding that I am a Senior Contributor on Trip Advisor and that people will be reading this added some weight to my argument. So this time around that mistake and the room cost me $100 per night rather than $75. :-( I was very unhappy that the Palace management took advantage of the situation to take that extra money from me.

My message to the management is - Start spending some of the money that we guests bring you maintaining the building or we won't keep coming back. I am going to try around some other hotels next time I need to work in Makati. However I do recommend trying this place; it is good value if you book correctly.

Room Tip: Pay an extra 400 baht per night and get the DELUXE room NOT the 'Superior' room! HUGE diffe...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SmithersinAU
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Very Accessible, good tasting food, adequate space for 20 participants but a bit old, needs to improve sound system, with wifi inside the conference room. Its in the entertainment district of Makati so 'happy hour' starts early but it is not advisable for those looking for a good rest but still within Makati City.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Me and my wife Checked in to this hotel on the 11th May 2012 around 1:00am for just one night. The hotel over all is good, but needs a face lift, as I did read in most of the reviews before booking with them.

Hotel Transfers: Need improvement as we were waiting for nearly 2 hrs at the airport, this was even after we confirmed, re-confirmed our flights and arrival timings. Even after endless calls to the hotel, we still had to wait for nearly 2 hrs for the airport pickup.

Check in: Was smooth and fast. Very professional done. We asked for a higher floor and we got it. Bell boys were very courtesy and helpful.

Rooms: It was standard with all the amenities, bathroom could have been better cleaned by the housekeeping, but since we were there only for one night, I did not bother.

Breakfast: It was good; it was a buffet type and enjoyed the food. But be ready for all non Filipino’s/Chinese travelers, as there was mostly noodles, rice, type dishes on the buffet, continental was only potatoes, they had a egg’s to order and the bread basket. The buffet had also juices, cereals, cold cuts and fruits. Tea/Coffee served on table.
The staff was very courteous and I would rate them semi-professional in their work.

Room Service/Restaurant: Forget ordering room service as they don’t have any after 10pm. There is also no 24 hr coffee shop, surprising for their location/operation as most of the guests are well awake till 4am. We asked the bell boys and they very conveniently pointed us to the endless bars and clubs in the area.

Area: This hotel snack down in the middle of very busy night life. Bars, Night clubs are around this hotel just few steps to most for these places. We had our late dinner near to this hotel, in a place called Club Cubana, which is the Bellagio Hotel.
Sitting in this restaurant you can see the night life outside on the street’s as the night unfolds.

Advice: Not a good selection if you are travelling with your family, kids, old folks. Good for singles and couples who don’t mind night life action.

For Trip Advisor;
Haroon & Jodi
11.May.2012

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor rooms, as they are quiter, and rooms away from the main street.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WolfJack15
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Working for few weeks in Makati area, I decided to stay in this Hotel. Worst experience ever.
Service is terrible. The staff always saying Yes to your enquiries, but nobody is actually listening or delivering.
Laundry service is the worst I ever had to deal with in 15 years.
Check for the price of the hotel services, they will over charge you, compare to what is displayed.
Why I stayed in this Hotel. It was 5 min walk from my work. I should have chosen another one.

Room Tip: Check the rooms before checking in. Some are ok. Some are terrible.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank TheWorker2012
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Great location and walking distance to restaurants and entertainment right in the middle of Manila's financial district. The room offered basic amenities; nothing fancy but you get what you pay for. Staff was helpful and courteous. Parking is really tight!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Rio O
Reviewed April 24, 2012

There is better value in Makati for a room. The lobby is nice place to sit and watch the street life. It is a modern very large hotel with all the amenities, but the place is a bit tired. The rooms are large with fridge. Breakfast buffet is good. It is easy to find and convenient to malls and restaurants. Stairs are a killer with luggage to get to the lobby from the street. The door men generally dont assist without politely and firmly asking.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo