“Christmas Staycation”

Berjaya Makati Hotel - Philippines
Ranked #44 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We just had a very nice one night stay coupld of days ago at the Executive suites. We booked October 28 to get the 30% off promo via online reservation.

PROS:
>We stayed at 24th floor. Renovated rooms are mostly from 21-25th floor i guess. All fully furnished and brand new.
>1 king size bed plus living room w/TV and a separate pantry area that has microwave,sink and refrigirator.
>The room was very neat and all amenities were working just fine.
>Complimentary internet connection for one user & has a good wifi signal anytime of the day.
>Toilet was huge enough for FOUR people and has complete stuff too. the water is strong enough no issues about that.
>Aircondition is pretty cold and had no issues with the sound,i guess it's becuase it's brand new.
>There's an ironing board & iron which is a plus for travellers like us.
>Easy access to our favorite restaurants and most of them are 24hours open
>Good view from our room and living room.
>Very polite staff especially the people in the restaurant area.
>BUffet breakfast was nice. Lot's of food choices.

CONS:
>Originally we booked for the Executive suite as that was being bragged about by the reservation lady i called. She mentioned that it has complete amenities and it's new. Plus it also has a two bedroom feature. TWO BEDROOM not twin beds. So i grab the deal thinking that would be perfect since we are four in the family. After i made the reservation,i called like weeks ago after i made the reservation to double check the difference of a TWO bedroom suite and executive suite. i was again told that they are just the same the only difference is that the executive suite is BRAND NEW. Then come our check in date dec24-25,2012. When we went to the room i only saw 1 king size bed no other beds what so ever or even anther room. i was so pissed off but i have to calm down since i dont want to ruin my christmas eve. i asked twiced the receptionist that i was misinformed and for that i request for a complimentary bed for the hassle that they have caused. After dealing with the issue for almost an hour,i finally talked to the manager too bad i wasnt able to get his name..and was given an extra bed for free. Good thing somone has a heart. Issues resolved and i didn't bother to argue anymore because i;m with my family and we're there to enjoy.
>Next time DON'T trust people in the reservation area when you call Berjaya hotel directly. Better yet talk to a manager if you have any clarifications.
>Receptionist is not too friendly. When we went to the lobby for check-in and check out time it just so happen that there are a lot of people there and Marichu was obviously preassured enough that she does not smile anymore. As if we are only talking to a random people and don't bother giving a grin at least. Being friendly is a must for receptionist.
>there's no direct line for you to call outside. I'm talking about metro manila calls. you to dial 1 for the lobby and they will be the one connecting you to the number you would want to dial. plus you have to pay P15 bucks each successful call. That is a NO-NO,because what if it's busy or you're in a hurry? you have to call them first. and P15 is too pricy.

>But all in all the experience is average. I will comeback here but will make sure i will talk to the manager for reservation. I dont trust reservation people anymore.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Annewez24
BerjayaMakatiHotel, Manager at Berjaya Makati Hotel - Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Ms. Anne,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about our hotel here in trip advisor. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our services.

The problems that you mentioned have been brought to the attention of our related department. I understand your frustration, and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience it had caused you.

We are committed to you our valued guests, and are taking immediate corrective steps to regain your confidence in us.

Thank you again, for your honest feedback, our apologies again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back here in our hotel to replace the negative impression with a more positive one.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

I chose this hotel mainly for its location. It was not too far from Manila's main airport, perhaps 20 minutes by taxi, and it was fairly close to one sight I wanted to see in metro Manila during my short time there, namely the American cemetery. I arrived here at about 11 AM, and although it was too early to check in to the non-smoking room I had already booked, I was offered the chance to check in early in a smoking room, which I didn't mind doing. Staff was helpful with my bags and there are armed security guards at the main entrance, but that seems to be common in a lot of areas in the Philippines. Room was OK, clean and comfortable, a little on the dark side but that may have been because the neighboring skyscrapers were blocking the light somewhat. Makati is one of the newer sections of the city, and near the hotel you can find banks, restaurants of all kinds, parks, grocery stores, and pharmacies. On my last night there I hung out in their lounge and enjoyed live music from the very personable band; I believe their name was Present Perfect, or Past Perfect, or another grammatically-oriented name.

Room Tip: Getting a taxi from here should not be too hard, but choose wisely. Some drivers in unmarked, unmet...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo

Dear Mr. Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review here at trip advisor regarding your wonderful stay here in our hotel.

I sincerely thank you for the kind words and the good comments that made your stay memorable and enjoyable. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

We are looking forward to your next visit and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Thank you.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Decided to stay here with 3 friends after seeing some positive reviews. Requested for early check in as i landed in manila at 0630 am. Upon reaching the lobby i was told to wait a WHILE for my room. Decided to ask them after waiting for 30 mins, and i was told room would be ready only at 1400 hrs. Why would they say wait a while if i was suppose to wait for nearly 6 hours. So had no choice but to pay for an early check in for 1 upgraded room only which was like 1500 peso. And we were promised the other 3 rooms would be ready at 1400 hrs. At 1400 hrs we asked for the remaining 3 rooms and we were told there was only 1 room ready and the other 2 rooms would be ready only at 1800 hrs. Just ridiculous. And receptionist could even raise her tone to say she can't do anything if exisiting guests decides to extend their stay by a few hours. We had no choice but to wait as we had already paid for the hotels via hotels.com. Room wise, very average. I felt we could have got much better rooms for the price paid. Very bad service from the hotel staff. Only thing good about the hotel was the location, then again there are many other hotels within the vicinity.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
BerjayaMakatiHotel, Manager at Berjaya Makati Hotel - Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2012

Dear Mr. Bambam,

* Early check in request is subject to the avilability of the rooms. during the time you checked in we were fully booked. Normal check in time is at 14:00.

However, the other problems that you mentioned have been brought to the attention of our related department. I understand your frustration, and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience it had caused you.

Hotel Manager
Berjaya Manila Hotel

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Good points:

Big spacious room.
Breakfast is good, with plenty of choice.
Clean enough.
Fridge + kettle with tea & coffee
Room service had some nice looking options on the menu, although we went out instead

Bad points:

Pillows were uncomfortably thick and hard. Bed was hard too.
Had to wait quite a while for the hot water to work.
Ceiling tile had a bit of mould, carpet had burn marks from iron (not a major issue)

Summary:

Not bad for the price, would probably stay here again if the budget is tight.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
BerjayaMakatiHotel, Manager at Berjaya Makati Hotel - Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear Valued Guests,

The problems that you mentioned have been brought to the attention of our related department. "Our pricing is comparable to similar properties in the area and we feel we provide good value given our central location and extensive facilities.

Thank you again, for your honest feedback, and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back here in our hotel.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

It really all depends on your purpose of travel. If you're a foreigner and looking for nightlife action and happy endings, the red-light district right across beckons. Lots of girls of the "entertaining" variety prowling the street corners, hopefully for engaging prey. Bars and restaurants abound (the A. Venue a willing neighbor). The reason for me was that the French embassy was a 5-minute walk away and I had an early morning visa appointment. Upon check-in, I pain an extra 20 dollars so I could be upgraded from a deluxe to a premium room which I know was recently renovated. Oh, well. The Syntax brand flat screen TV was smallish, takes time to switch channels. Bed was adequate with 4 pillows. Small ref (purposely empty?) to stock drink and food; no wonder, no credit card guarantee was asked in the front desk. Despite 2 ceiling lights and 3 lamp shades, lighting was still wanting. No tissue nor hairdryer. Aircon at best could provide "low cool" temperature. After shower, bathroom floor was flooded, necessitating use of the extra towel. Bathroom amenities not special enough to take home. Extra strength required to puncture the toothpaste (not recommended for people with heart conditions). Could hear TV program from the adjacent room. Ordered pizza delivery and hotel security required me to go out the lobby and receive it; if only I didn't come all the way from the 21st floor . . . But hey, for 90 dollars a night, what can you REALLY expect? If you want good Victoria fillet steak, go to Outback and not the mall food court; you get what I mean. The following day, after surveying the breakfast buffet, decided I'd be better off at McDonald's down the street. Again, if you're on a tight budget, this might be heaven. But if you had choices, I'm afraid you might have plenty to complain about.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank drjohnled

Dear Mr. John,

"Our pricing is comparable to similar properties in the area and we feel we provide good value given our central location and extensive facilities. We regret that this was not your impression and offer our apologies."

Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is my 2nd time staying in this hotel I booked 4 rooms. I was very happy for the upgrade of my room. The room was very good with a good size living room on the executive floor.
However, it has many incomplete bathroom amenities.
Upon check-out, they gave me a list of items they purportedly claimed I have taken!! I refused because I did not even take any.
Becareful when u tell the doorman to book a taxi! They will get you a taxi, claiming special booking, and it does not run on meter!!! Flat rate!!! This also happen to my other friends who stayed there before.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Tony Y

Dear Mr. Tony,

"We always assist our guests to call a metered taxi, however since it is not a hotel taxi, we cant no longer control what will be their agreement to the customers. We regret that this was not your impression and offer our apologies."

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Had booked a twin sharing room for 3 nights on the upper floors of the hotel so I was happy to be given floor 19. Supposedly it was already renovated, but went to a friends room on the 23 and those rooms are much nicer (although I prefer the carpeted floor of my room).

Checkin was quick and simple, and manager Deejay was really helpful and friendly.

Only gripe was I had a cockroach in the toilet when I got there. Big fella but managed to kill him on my own.

Breakfast was alright, Philippines fare and international selection as well. They had a live band at the bar most evenings but seating is rather limited.

Wireless internet is available on every floor and its free. But occasionally the network would be unstable making it unusable.

Tried the swimming place but its freezing (for the Manila weather). Its on the 5th floor by the gym and since it is covered it doesn't get the sun at all. Not good in you want to get some tan.

The hotel is very near fast food joints, and a mall. The bigger malls like Greenbelt is just 10 mins walk.

Room Tip: Get the upper floors!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mazran Z
BerjayaMakatiHotel, Manager at Berjaya Makati Hotel - Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Mr. Mazran,

I sincerely thank you for the kind words and the good comments about our staff and our hotel that made your stay memorable and enjoyable.

I would like to thank you for your recent visit to Berjaya Makati Hotel. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you.