“Good Value for Economy Traveler”

Copa Businessman's Hotel
Ranked #62 of 82 Hotels in Makati
Ohio
“Good Value for Economy Traveler”
Reviewed January 23, 2010

This is a hotel that is often missed in hotel searches. The hotel name probably does not help. From the name you would think it is a men's only hotel. Going back to the mid 1990's we have stayed at both this hotel and the El Cielito. The hotels are about the same in quality and used to be equally priced. The El Cielito increased it's price and now runs about $20 more expensive. For $40+, the Copa is good value considering you are accross the street from a 5 star hotel (New World Hotel). The Copa is the Asian version of a Super8, Motel 6, etc. The typical mentality persists that can be frustrating if you are not used it. Example, they unplug the water heaters between customers to save electricity, run air conditioners way beyond the useful life, clean out the mini fridge if you say you won't use it, halls are not air conditioned. The negatives are: restaurant is about 14 ft x 14 ft and can seat 13 people. Service varies according to who shows up for work. One of the days, the cook was off sick so there was no food, but they made it up by giving us extra food coupons for free meals. Positives: Friendly staff, close to shopping, underground parking. Keep in mind P300 is a typical days pay (about $6), if you tip like you would in the US, the staff will be more responsive. Don't forget the guard out front that helps you back out onto the street and/or writes down the taxi license plate number for security-safety reasons. This is not a Marriott or a Fairfield Inn, it you make allowance for the cultural differences, you will have an enjoyable and economical stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank FungKL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed June 3, 2009

Initially I was to book some other hotel, however my partner from Manila booked me this one - two JUNIOR SUITEs. After our arrival, the air condition in my room was not working, they changed me the room, however only provisionally, bcs "the roof is leaking and if the rain comes"... The air condition had not been to repair and they finally moved me in to STANDARD ROOM. The air condition was working however so loudly, that despite my generally good sleeping I woke midnight and had to switch the cooling off.
At morning I met a cockroach in my bathroom once, in the so called breakfast room they were seen regularly. Breakfast room as well as other areas were without air condition.
The hotel is placed 30min from the airport on very frequently road, close to nice areas like Green Belt. Most of personal was obliging.
For the price (85USD) I would rather search another hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Fero967

Travelers are raving about these Makati hotels

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 19, 2008

I've been here twice with my partner. The first time that we were here was is March 2008. We planned an overnight stay to be able to go around Makati (since this is just across Hotel Renaissance and Greenbelt). So, upon payment, (PLUS the 2K security deposit, mind you) the first room that we got was #305. It was really nice. It had a big dresser and mirror, the bed and pillows were comfortable, 3 reading lamps (which we needed to ask the staff to plug after we noticed it was not working) and when you look in the closet, there is an extra pillow. However, the first problem that I had was with the A/C. Although it was already at it's highest setting, it was very, VERY HOT. The TV was tiny and the remote of the TV only controlled the volume and the channel (could not put it in sleep mode nor change channels quickly because you had to scroll). The bathroom was clean and spacious. There is hot and cold water and the pressure was sufficient (but beware of the hot water running out in the middle of your bath). All-in-all I would say it was an OK stay. The staff was friendly, but security seemed a little lax.

Since it was an OK stay (and most of the other hotels were booked), I called to make a reservation again earlier this month (April 2008). I was greeted by the same clerk (Persian) who made my reservation before. She is very nice and friendly and even remembered me from my last stay. I requested a similar room but with a better TV or at least a better remote and a hair-dryer AND a room with a better A/C. She was more than happy to oblige and she even apologized that we encountered problems with the last room. So, the weekend came and we arrived there, went to the front desk and told them of my reservation. This is where the nightmare began. There were 2 clerks that day and they couldn't find my reservation. They even mentioned a different name in which I said: "Ha?" One of the clerks asked me for my Credit Card. I thought it was like an ID verification thing, so I gave it to her. She then swiped it and told me that it was declined. I wasn't going to use my credit card, I was going to pay cash. But I guess she should've asked the mode of payment first, before asking for a CC. After about 15 minutes, they were able to sort it out and we were escorted to room #407. When we entered the room, we saw that it had 2 single beds instead of the queen sized one. I immediately went down to the front desk to complain about it. They told me that there were no available queen beds but would transfer us as soon as there was an available one. They told us we had to wait until about 4PM. It was already 2PM, so I said it would be OK. We had to go to a function at 3PM that day, so I asked the front desk on how to proceed with the transfer and they told me that they would have the room ready by the time that we got back. We got back at around 8PM and I asked Persian (who was on duty at that time) about the transfer. She said we couldn't transfer because the room was reserved for an internet reservation. I WAS PISSED. They told me that if the person did not arrive at 10PM, they would immediately transfer us. 10PM came and went and I had to call at 10:30. They would not really transfer us anymore. I asked to speak with the manager, but there was NO manager present (no wonder things like these happen). They told me they tried to TEXT him/her, but no reply. I insisted, but to no avail. Instead of having a relaxing evening, I was so mad that I couldn't sleep. I'm never going back there... EVER!

*sorry guys no pics... I'll make sure to put some on my next review

• Liked — Clean rooms, Comfortable bed and beddings, Proximity to Shopping malls
  • Disliked — Dishonest and untrained front desk staff, Cheap TV, Poor customer service, Hot A/C
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank DrHouseMd