“Modern Shanghai could improve”
Review of Modern Shanghai - CLOSED

Modern Shanghai
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Tried Modern Shanghai with the family and it was so-so. The dumplings weren't that tasty and some of the other courses were a bit too salty for me. Service was slow though I couldn't blame them as the place was packed. The floor manager was helpful in following up our courses. Given the quality of the food, a bit pricey for me.

1  Thank Jeff Y

Reviewed January 18, 2014

This was good value for us, as we gorged on this fantastic little Shanghainese joint in Glorietta. Service was perfect from the time we walked in and til we headed out. Table service was fast, prompt, attentive without being intrusive, professional and we felt properly taken care of. More importantly, the food was excellent. Xiao long bao was tasty and the dumpling skin was perfect. The fried Shanghainese noodles was great, although the noodles weren't handmade, which is what would've made it totally perfect. The pan fried buns were also good, not too doughy, which some places get wrong. Luckily ours were done right. The fried green beans also hit the right spot. Their tea menu also offers a great variety of options. Overall, great price paid for the quality we received.

1  Thank TravellingCarlito
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I were attracted by this resto's nice decor, cozy ambience, and appetizing-looking dishes on the menu. Much to our disappointment, the inside is not as good as the outside. First off, the porcelain dishes are greasy, including their undersurfaces. You can actually see an oily ring staining the paper placemats!

When the food arrived, they were swimming in grease. The fried rice was shiny and oily, there was a layer of oil over the fish with egg white, even the vegetables were greasy. The xiao long bao had good flavors which was the only saving grace; however, the wrapping was so thin that the soup burst out in every piece after we picked it up with chopsticks. I don't think this was due to heavy handling; being an expert xiao long bao eater, I can pick up every piece of Din Tai Fung's soup dumplings leaving the skin intact, every single time!

I think this restaurant has a lot of potential because the flavors are good and the decor inviting. I would suggest using maybe 50% less oil and improving the dough of the xiao long bao. Also, basic hygiene must be practiced, by supplying the diners with clean plates and bowls! That is common sense!

2  Thank Cutie888
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Food is good. Dessert is a little too sweet. Service is pretty good. Yes would go there again. Locatef im a nice mall n central location.

2  Thank MCLELO
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I tried this resto after I saw from their display window how they prepare dimsum.
I ordered their specialty: Shanghai fried noodles, Xiao long bao, and Steamed buns with veggie and pork. The noodle dish was bland, the dimsum will burst open when you pick it up, the steam buns was still cold inside.
Its too bad the good service was not enough to make up for the pretentious 'Shanghai cuisine' taste.
They should revisit their recipes and get an authentic chef from Shanghai China.
For your Chinese food cravings, go to Mann Yann, Savory or Luk Yuen when in Glorietta.
I liked their chili garlic oil though. :)

1  Thank MikeCarmona