“much talked about Stockton Place”
Review of Stockton Place

Stockton Place
Ranked #210 of 1,431 Restaurants in Makati
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2014

After hearing so many good things about Stockton place from friends & reading the reviews here, I was really looking forward to my meal there. The cocktails were delicious, spot on! Great start. Ordered the pear salad, was it just me or the arugula was just plain wilted? no life at all. My companion had the same. Barely any blue cheese tossed in as well. Sad. The tomato soup was okay. I've had better. Tried the sweet potato ravioli. Oh no. it was limp, the plate was cold & the butter sauce wasn't seasoned as were the ravioli. I ordered the pork belly. The plating was very 80s. A blotch of gummy, wet mashed potato on part of the plate. The dark cherry (sweet enough to be dessert sauce) framed the not so crispy skinned pork belly. Tired looking dots of some puree on the other side. Like I said very dated style plating. The plate was again cold. So the food didnt stay hot or warm at least. By this time, a steak came to the table next to us & it looked great. At least more promising than my pork belly. Was hoping that dessert would be better, well, half of it was. The chocolate (peanut butter) tart wasn't bad. I could have had more but the portion wasn't that big. The toffee (pudding?) cake (?) was just downright pffffft. The apples that came with it was horribly mushy & didn't help the dish at all. Thumbs down.
Still, the sight of that steak haunts me to give Stockton Place one more shot. i will be back. That and another cocktail sounds good. Maybe it was just an off night for the chef. I hope so. Hype can either make you or kill you. In this case, it was a near miss.

2  Thank santi g

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Of course I'm referring to the overall presentation of the dishes we tried.
1.The Butternut Squash w/ Goat Cheese & Tortellini (HHHMMMMMMMMMMMMM !)
2. Foie Gras Salad ( generous portion)
3. Crispy Pork Belly (great execution but too small )
4. Onion Rings atop Sirloin Salad ( brings back memories of Buckeye Roadhouse in Mill Valley,
(about 15 miles away from where I live)
5. Seared Scallops w/ Tomato Tart (perhaps the tartness should be toned down a fraction)
6. Avoid the desserts if you're on a diet because the appearance alone will make you want to
try all of them !

Buon Appetito

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Living in the Philippines, I recognize that vegetarianism is not the norm, however this was my first time at a restaurant that would not even attempt to accommodate a vegetarian in our group. We asked if the kitchen could either suggest something vegetarian not on the menu or modify a menu item (such as leaving the meat or parmesan cheese off the salad or soup or pasta) and was told no. The waitress kindly went to the kitchen and came back saying they did not have the ingredients!
While this was going on, we watched the table next to us return their dishes - one after the next, so we do not feel we missed out on much despite the appealing sounding desserts.

1  Thank smilintraveler
Reviewed January 15, 2014

This restaurant was a pleasant surprise. It looked unassuming from the outside and was even a bit cramped but the food was refreshing and creative. We had the sweet potato tortellini as one of our appetizers and it was delicious. I had the crispy pork belly which was well executed. I thought the poached chicken looked pale and unappetizing but it tasted very good. I liked the idea of serving the crispy chicken skin seperately like a big wafer. People watching their diet could opt not to eat it but otherwise, it gave a great contrast in texture to the the chicken.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

The prospect of having to return to Manila to conclude my affairs, due to having to go back to the UK for emergency family reasons in the summer, was not a joyous, look forward to event. I found most of the food (but not all) frankly, woeful and the quality of produce and simple cooking techniques pitiful at times.

However, if you know the city then you will know the fantastic bar next door to the Stockton Place, which I refuse to review for fear the place becomes too well known, and after my wife and I exited it, we saw the SP was now open and so, we went inside.

First off, nice decor and lay-out which is itself, matched with excellent service. The latter is not something one can take for granted in the Philippines!

Anyway, the food. I had the butternut squash soup and it was magical with a couple of raviolis in the bowl and the soup poured on. The wife had a wonderfully fresh blue cheese and pear salad which was on the money.

My main was the chicken dish. I know chicken is a cop out, but I like boiled chicken so I ain't saying sorry amigo! The chicken was done to perfection but here is where I have two little quibbles.

Firstly, with the dish itself. It came with fried chicken skin which just did not work at all as it was too oily and if you are going to deep fry and serve skin from a bird, then for me, you will only get away with duck skin. What the dish cried out for in my view, were puy lentils with a sharp vinaigrette to contrast everything else.

The wife went for the scallops with tomato tart which a previous diner has photographed. Now the real hope this place brings is the fact that the scallopes were cooked to perfection. Totally and utterly, perfect. It amazes me how often chefs the world over get the basics wrong, but not with this dish, this night.

Maybe the tomato tarte is to big and it being the Philippines, a little too sweet but you have to cook to your audiance.

The deserts were perfect as well. I went for the lemon parfait and the sauces that accompanied were really good. The wife went for the chocolate, again a previous diner has snapped it, and this was also well executed. The coffee retained the creme to the end.

Now the second quibble, the Philippines and Asia in general, still get it so wrong when serving more than one person. In that, they rarely bring all the dishes together at the same time. My main arrived a few minutes before my wife's did and when it did, it had gone cold! This was also due to the excessively cold aircon.

However, the staff did not do that other annoying Asian thing, of taking plates from tables when diners are still eating.

This place is good, this place if developed will be very good. It has the potential to be up there with the Sala restaurants. To do this, then let us also hope they look to change their menu with the seasons which again, many Aisan restaurants just stick to the same old-same old.

We loved it, it is very good, with a lot of potential and reasonably priced. If I were staying in Manila (happily I am not) then this place would be a little oasis.

They know what they are doing and I hope, what they want to do. Get there and enjoy, we did...