“Great dining experience.. ^^,”
Review of Bowler Gastro Pub - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bowler Gastro Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Good for: Bar scene
Makati, Philippines
“Great dining experience.. ^^,”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

A very good friend of mine recommended this restaurant to me. I went there alone after work, for my dinner, one Thursday evening. As I enter the door of this restaurant, I was amazed coz there's not much to dislike here, and as a matter of fact: "NOTHING TO DISLIKE" here.. (^_^)

I really love the ambiance of the restaurant. The lighting, the paintings on the wall, the comfy seats and the Jazzy music...all explains the word "classy" in my dictionary. From my experience, I learned that every 9:00 PM onwards, the staff will dim the lights and turn on the candle on each table. It becomes a very romantic place at that moment.. (I should've brought my bf with me!!) LoL

The food was fantastic, indeed. I started exploring their menu and suddenly got confused on which to order coz I've got a couple of "to-order-list" on my mind.. hahahaa.. As a starter, the staff named Kristine handed me a plate full of "Papadum Crisp". This Indian starter is given complimentary to the customers (one of my favorites). Next, I ordered their "Pumpkin Pesto Soup" and it was served so beautifully in a bread bowl. As I finished the soup, I feel so very full already. I almost forgotten that I still have to order the main entree for me to be able to complete my dinner experience here.

Well, this time..I told my self that I really need to try the "Bowler's Fish and Chips" that this restaurant is boasting about. After a few minutes, their staff named Arnel served me the fish and chips and I was having a big doubt in my head that I could possibly finish the meal. It was a very generous portion that they have for the Bowler's Fish and Chips!! As I tasted the fish, it tastes so good.. so crispy outside and very tender inside. The wedges tastes great, too! I really regretted for having to eat many foods on my lunch. I could've saved some space in my stomach to eat more foods from this restaurant.

Overall, the food is just superb, ambiance is very nice and coupled with excellent service...worth the money... with this experience, I am sure to come back with an empty stomach!! ^^,

• Visited May 2013

Manila, Manila, Philippines
“Epic fail”
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

First off, I'm British. I've been drinking in real pubs for 30 years, and eating in gastropubs for 10.

Bowler is NOT a gastropub, nor even a non-gastro pub. It's a typical Filipino bar in every respect from ambience to food. Putting badly cooked fish and chips on the menu and old  red telephone money boxes on the tables doesn't fool anybody.

BTW. Nothing wrong with being a Filipino bar, just don't pretend it's something it's not and mislead ignorant customers into think there is anything genuinely British about it.

Manila, Philippines
“Nice English pub ambience but food and drinks are a pretentiously overpriced”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

First off, they have a problem with their landline, ringing but no one is answering. I had to visit them in person to reserve. Best value food we ordered was the Bowler's Fish and Chips because the fish was sufficiently big. Our other orders such as the Classic Ceasar salad, the Sausage Platter, and the Chicken Tandoori Pocket had a petite serving relative to its price. Good thing we used a deal voucher. Drinks would also be heavy in the pocket, unless you are trying to impress a date. There was also a stench of smoke in the air when you come in until they closed the door of the smoking area, which is not good if you have kids or someone pregnant in company.

• Visited January 2013