New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Raffles Makati

Raffles Makati
Ranked #1 of 80 Hotels in Makati
Palm Springs, California
“great hotel, even better service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

Quiet and understated, the hotel is the best place to stay in Makati. The juinor suite was very spacious, with a sitting room, an office area, a large sleeping area, nice closet area, and ample bath and shower. The service was very attentive. Sabrina and Ryan helped me secure a more suitable room; my first room in 0908 had an obstructed view. The Long Bar was not as overwhelming as I imagined, but they did have good drinks.

Room Tip: Do not stay in 0908. The view from the bedroom is obstructed by a structural post. Better views ar...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Osmundo
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Raffles Makati, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Osmundo,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Raffles Makati.

I'm glad that you had an enjoyable stay and find our suite comfortable.

I wish to thank you as well for commending the efforts of Sabrina and Ryan. I'll make sure that they both receive recognition for providing you a wonderful stay experience.

On your next travel to Manila, I invite you to stay with us once gain.

Again, thank you for your positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
San Antonio TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

I stayed at the Fairmont for a week while on business.

The location is awesome. It is located in the modern financial center of Manila, Makati City. It is across the street from major malls including the ultra-modern and vast Greenbelt with all of its shops, restaurants and bars.

Check-in was quick and easy, even considering that it was 2am or so. The room was awesome. There was a large entry room with the minibar, a couch and a table and chairs. The bedroom was very large, very clean and very modern. There was a very large walk in-closet hallway. The bathroom was vast with a very long sink, an enclosed toilet area, a shower stall, and an old-fashioned bathtub.

The afternoon tea was great as was the happy hours. The breakfast area is shared with the Fairmont hotel. There was an amazing slections of food and there were all delicious.

Service was always fantastic at the hotel.

One of the things I really liked about this hotel was that it's common areas (maybe, except for the breakfast area) were so quiet. We went over to the Shangri-la for dinner one evening and the lobby was really, really busy.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Tim S
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Raffles Makati, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Tsaltmarsh,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Raffles Makati for your business trip. I'm glad we were able to provide you a swift check-in experience as I know long travels can be very tiring.

I'm glad you liked your suite and find everything convenient and spacious. It's good to learn that you also enjoyed the Afternoon Tea and pre-dinner cocktails at Writers Bar, including the breakfast spread at Spectrum.

Thank you for considering the service of our hotel colleagues fantastic! I'm quite fortunate to be working with such an inspired team.

I do hope that on your next business trip to Manila, Raffles Makati will once again be your hotel of choice.

Seminyak, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

The Raffles is a very nice hotel in Makati 5 minutes walk from Greenbelt shopping mall. We stayed at one of their apartments for 2 weeks. Hotel buffet is fantastic! and better than most fancy greenbelt restaurants we tried. I would recommend management take recycling and ecology in general more seriously: all towels and bed sheets get changed everyday even if you don't want to. Buffet left over food simply gets trashed... You need to manually switch off all lights when you leave the room. I would love to see this place leading in this matter when we return :)

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DavidElie
Dear DavidElie,

I'm glad to learn that your overall stay with us was wonderful.

Thank you for commending Spectrum, I'm happy that you always have an enjoyable dining experience every time you eat there.

I wish to thank you as well for sharing with us your recommendations on green initiatives. I'm delighted to let you know that some of your suggestions are already being practiced. We have a hotel sustainability team who is hard at work on discovering other ways to preserve, recycle and save.

Thank you once again for your wonderful suggestions and I look forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Makati soon.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We booked the Raffles as we have always had such great experiences with this hotel chain but not this time.... Generally, the room was good but the service was below par. I had flowers delivered and had to ask 3 times for a vase. They missed giving our suite turn-down service so we had to call for water. The worst experience was breakfast. It is noisy with screaming, crying kids at every table. We moved twice. I asked if there was a quiet place to enjoy reading the paper over coffee and they said , "only at the Fairmont". I guess the less expensive option was the better choice. After all of that our food arrived cold. Best I can say is the wait staff are very friendly.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Betty-Ann H
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Raffles Makati, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Betty-Ann H,

I appreciate hearing from you and wish to thank you for sharing your recent experience with us.

I am saddened to learn that you were not fully satisfied with your experience and wish to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. Feedback from our guests is the most valuable advice we can receive. It helps us recognize our strengths and areas of challenges, which then allows us to make appropriate adjustments as needed.

I understand that you will be staying with us again. Thank you for giving us another opportunity to restore your confidence in Raffles Makati. Please know that my team and I have addressed your concerns and will ensure that the unpleasant incidents you previously experienced will not happen again when your return.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed at the Raffles for three nights over Christmas and was very satisfied with my stay. I suppose there are certain expectations from a hotel of this caliber, were they met? Mostly. First off, the positives: I absolutely loved the room. The room was close to perfect- the size, it was tastefully decorated, clean, modern amenities, it would be perfect if it had a balcony. I would love a bedroom like this (with a bigger closet) if I were to design my bedroom. The view from the room was just fine. It was great that Raffles had its own pool on the 9th floor, guests staying in the Fairmont can't access this pool. The breakfast at Spectrum restaurant was excellent, with amazing service. We also had our Christmas Dinner at this restaurant and it was amazing, the service there was the best we encountered during our month-long visit to the Philippines. Great service at the Long Bar as well.

What didn't meet my expectations? We stayed for three nights, as I've mentioned, but only received a downturn service once, on our last night. An ironing board would be a great addition to the room. Used their gym many times and the staff there were great as well, the gym could use an equipment for pull ups and dips. Most Importantly, I felt the service from the front desk (reception) and even the front door and lobby were a little cold. Very professional, yes; they could've used a bit more warmth though. We actually stayed at the Fairmont for 8 nights after the New Year's and so had the opportunity to compare the two hotels. The staff at the Fairmont were consistently nicer, friendlier, more welcoming and still getting their jobs done. Not sure if Raffles staff are instructed to behave a certain way, but they could use some pointers from the Fairmont staff.

The location of the hotel was perfect. Walking distance to what Greenbelt, Glorietta etc. have to offer. Felt very safe in the hotel and its vicinity. Would I stay here again? Absolutely! But they do have room for improvement.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WashingtonJonDC
Dear Jonann D,

Thank you for taking the time to also write a review on Raffles Makati. I appreciate you sharing your experiences and giving feedback on both hotels.

I'm happy to learn that you loved your suite and find the breakfast at Spectrum delicious. Thank you for spending Christmas with us, I'm glad you had a wonderful time.

I have taken note of your suggestions on how we can further improve our services at the Raffles side. I apologize for any inconveniences caused. Rest assured, your comments will be shared to the concerned departments for proper action.

Thank you once again for sharing with us your valuable feedback. I look forward to your next stay with us.

Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed in for Christmas period before our trip to Palau and Yap (Micronesia). Raffles Makati are in the same building as Fairmont (Share the same Spa and restaurants, coffee shops, just Raffles have separate lobby and also additional pool on the 9th floor, reserved for Raffles guests only.

The Fairmont pool on the 4th floor on the same floor as the spa level can be used both by Raffles and Fairmont guests.

In my opinion Raffles have absolutely perfect location in Makati, next door to the Greenbelt shopping mall, very convenient for dining and shopping

The lobby of Raffles is quite small, very private, designed in old English style, with the Long Bar and Writers bar (serving excellent tea from 2.30 to 5pm with great selection of sweets and mini-sandwiches.

The service as many of the best hotels in Philippines is at absolute best, everything is done with the smile, perfect professionals.

The junior suite we had was in perfect condition, the bed was for sure one of the best I’ve ever slept, the bathroom was big and all marble. The nice thing also was the FREE and VERY FAST INTERNET, something quite rare these days. The room was equipped with coffee machine (similar to Nespresso system with different coffee pods).

We use in room dining twice and the food and service was fast and great.
In our package we had a breakfast buffet included in our room rate, in Spectrum restaurant) the food choice is excellent and the quality is the same.

We had some Spa procedures with my wife, we had Traditional Philippine Hillot massages, also deep tissue massage (both 90 minutes, Spa services are highly recommended. I tried also the steam room before the treatments and the mineral pool.

All in all we are looking forward to come back there. We really missed later on in our trip to Micronesia the top level quality of the facilities and Spa of Raffles.

This is very highly recommend hotel - 5 stars on any given day!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ivo_k
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Raffles Makati, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear ivo_k,

Thank you for spending your Christmas at Raffles Makati. I hope you had a wonderful time in Palau and Yap.

I wish to greet you a Happy New Year and thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us.

I'm happy to learn that you enjoyed the service and friendliness of our hotel colleagues, thank you very much for commending them. I'm also glad to know that you had a comfortable sleep and enjoyed the amenities and Internet connection in your suite.

It's great to learn that you and your wife tried one of our signature massages at Willow Stream. On your next visit, I recommend that you try the Sweet Honey Body Bliss. It's 90 minutes of pampering experience with the use of organic honey harvested from the honeycombs of our local bees.

Thank you once again for your wonderful feedback and I hope that you and your wife will come visit us on your next trip to Manila. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

My colleague and I greatly enjoyed using the Raffles Makati to host meetings at our private suite. The decoration and furniture appointments allowed us to impress our guests and enjoy a great environment for our meetings without the need and formality to host at a conference room.

The only suggestion for improvement is to improve the timeliness of the butler service. I was dissapointed that I had to call several times to get lunch served in time for our 1.5 hour meeting.

Thanks otherwise for your excellent service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank hvnair
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Raffles Makati, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear Hvnair,

I'm glad to know that your meeting went well and that our suite was the perfect host for it. I'm also happy to learn that your meeting participants were impressed with our facilties.

Thank you for bringing to our attention your challenge with our Butler service. Rest assured that your feedback will be shared with the department head in charge for investigation and proper action.

Thank you once again and it's our pleasure to be of service to you.