“Business Luxury in a great location”
Review of Fairmont Makati

Fairmont Makati
Ranked #3 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Fairmont is a newer hotel my wife and I stayed at twice (3 nights and 1 night) while in Makati. The building appeared to be split between Raffles and Fairmont and taxi drivers are more familiar with Raffles. We found it very conveniently located across the street from 3 malls (Greenbelt, Glorietta and Landmark) with endless options for restaurants and bars.

The service was excellent with hotel staff always on hand to assist with anything you need. The rooms are well appointed and clean. They had those fantastic rainshower setups with strong water pressure. Breakfast was good and I particularly liked the selection of Filipino food and fresh fruit juices. There was a hiccup during both of our stays where I was initially told that breakfast was not included but it was quickly resolved. I'm not sure if this is the hotel's fault or if this is due to me booking through hotels.com. They also have relatively fast and reliable internet which is complimentary for President' Club members (free to join).

The only gripe I have is that the irons in both rooms I stayed in were barely functional. Would definitely consider Fairmont Makati again when I return.

3  Thank Miguel G
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear Miguel G,

It was a pleasure to have you and your wife stay with us during your trip to Manila.

I'm glad that you both had a wonderful experience. Thank you for considering the service of our hotel colleagues as excellent. I'm delighted to learn that they were able to assist you with your needs during your stay.

I wish to thank you for your kind words about our guest rooms and breakfast offerings. Filipino food is definitely a cuisine that I enjoy myself, especially the traditional breakfast dishes.

I took note of your feedback regarding your breakfast arrangement. If there's anything we can assist you with to resolve this issue, whether you made your booking through hotels.com or our website, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Reservations team via email: reservations.makati@fairmont.com.

I'm glad to learn that you will be staying with us again should your travels take you back to the Philippines. I look forward to welcoming you and your wife back.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,856)

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Wife and I stayed here for a long weekend visiting friends in Manila. Unfortunately we didn't really make much use of the facilities as we were out and about the whole time but our room was very comfortable, spacious and clean - very nicely decorated - just what you'd expect really. I thought that shower was pretty good too with the over-sized head. Location seemed ok to me also, being in a relatively affluent area of Makati next to what seemed like an endless maze of shopping malls. Front entrance isn't especially pedestrian friendly though.

Only one small irritant - no free wifi. This has been the first and only hotel we've stayed in over the past three weeks (travelling mainly through Vietnam, staying in similarly rated hotels) that's charged for internet access - this is 2014 not 2004 after all. 600 PHP ($15) for 24 hours was the asking price which is a tiny fraction of the room rate. Fortunately free wifi was plentiful throughout the greater metro area so the wife got to update her facebook status ... phew!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisO81
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Dear ChrisO81,

I'm sorry to hear that you and your wife didn't have the opportunity to enjoy our facilities. Perhaps that would be a good reason to come back? I hope so.

Nevertheless, I'm glad that you had a comfortable stay experience with us.

I have taken note of your comment on the wireless Internet connection. On your next stay with us, I invite you to enroll in our Fairmont President's Club program. Enrollment is complimentary and one of the benefits our members get to enjoy is free Wi-Fi.

I hope my advice will provide you a more pleasant stay experience, plus an up-to-date Facebook status for your wife, on your next visit.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I notified James Bevans, the hotel manager of my arrival dates and the greeting was fantastic.
As usual, this being my 3rd stay there I was way more than happy. Makati city unlike Manila is more like America, normal street lights, cross walks and very clean.

Most notable mentions are Jenny and Ryan in the long bar, great team there and the pool staff, Chez, Laliane, Paul, Christian, Gil and the rest. I apologize for not remembering everyone's names however they all provide excellent service.

For meals, ask to sit with Krim for breakfast and Jaz for dinner in the Spectrum restaurant as they are fantastic.

Thank you all again for a memorable stay and experience.

Mark Seely and Norena Maderazo

1  Thank mark s

Dear Mark and Norena,

Always a pleasure to welcome you back at Fairmont Makati. Your patronage is valued and highly appreciated.

I'm glad I was able to help in providing you yet another world-class experience, it's my pleasure.

I'm also delighted to learn that our hotel colleagues have once again made your stay wonderful and memorable. Thank you for commending our teams at the Long Bar, Pool Bar and Spectrum. I'll make sure that these young individuals would receive the recognition they deserve.

Please do not hesitate to let me know of your next stay with us. It's always a delight to have you both return, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in their Fairmont Gold up in the 7th floor for 2 nights. I had high expectations since this is new hotel and it has good reviews. Separate check in for Fairmont Gold is nice and breakfast is good but that's about it.

Customer service can be improved. Rooms are okay (i.e. ordinary). Cable/tv reception is really bad. I don't know who their cable provider is but it's a shame compared to Sofitel or even Holiday Inn.

Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank thebeancounter8

Dear thebeancounter8,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. It saddens me to learn that you were dissatisfied with your experience.

While you've shared valuable inputs on some of the areas that we need to improve on, I hope you can tell us in more detail on why we weren't able to meet you expectations. We look forward to knowing them as it will allow us to further improve and provide our guests a more memorable stay experience.

At your most available time, please feel free to touch base with me via email: james.bevans@fairmont.com.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope you will give us another opportunity to turn things around and provide you a wonderful stay at Fairmont Makati.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

A very nice hotel with good services, nice rooms, which are quiet and near Green Belt shopping area. The pool is till 12 in shadow, than the sun is coming. Gold floor is a perfect place after a day of working, with a good helpfull and friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Edwin B

Dear Edwin B,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience at Fairmont Makati.

I'm glad that your overall stay was wonderful and you consider the Fairmont Gold Lounge as the perfect place to unwind and relax after work.

I'm also deligthed to learn that you enjoy your accommodation and the service of our hotel colleagues.

I hope you will be staying with us again on your next business trip to Manila. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

This is a modern hotel with good bedrooms - in particular, I liked the furnishings, bed, bed linen and bathroom in my corner suite. Staff were courteous and helpful throughout my stay. As someone who travels on business in Asia many weeks each year I value these elements of hotel offerings together with reliable and fast internet which I also found at the Fairmont.

My only gripes - and these are important to me as a business traveller who often uses "lounge" facilities in hotels - related to the Gold Lounge on Floor 7. Displayed prominently on the desk in the bedroom is a note explaining, inter alia, dress code for the lounge - it is what you would expect, ie, no sandals, bathrobes, shorts, etc. However, it seems there is no enforcement of this policy.

On my final morning a guest with no apparent social conscience came to the Lounge for breakfast directly from the gym is wet gym clothes. There was no comment made by the Lounge staff to the guest and, when I mentioned this at checkout, I was told that he was a regular guest and so a blind eye was turned. My point is simple: if there is a policy, it should be enforced so that guests know what to expect from the Lounge, and, as someone paying similar rates to everyone else to stay in this hotel, I do not want to hear that, as other guests are regulars, they are granted dispensations from reasonable guidelines/rules that really shouldn't need to be written down on paper in any case.

I would certainly not wish to use the Lounge for entertaining clients if there is a risk that someone is sweaty gym kit may be sitting beside us. I became wary of where to sit always checking seat cushions for sweat marks, although the Lounge furniture is maintained in excellent condition. There is also no policy it would seem on mobile phone use in the lounge and this was a source of annoyance on a number of occasions when I came to the lounge to read, work or just relax with a newspaper. Tables are quite close together and so mobile phone conversations at adjoining tables are very obvious. On another occasion a young child was running around in the Lounge in the evening without any request from staff for him to be better controlled by his parents. I understand that the Filipina staff would naturally feel uncomfortable asking Lounge guests to desist from the type of behaviours I mention above, but I think that, if there is a written policy, there is an onus on the hotel to respect other guests by enforcing it. I frequently use Conrad and Intercon hotel lounges and I have never encountered such problems in those lounges which are generally much better suited to the requirements of the executive traveller. The Fairmont markets itself as a modern business-style hotel, so I would have thought that providing suitable Lounge facilities for the business traveller would be a focus for the hotel.

Whilst the Lounge staff were generally very polite and attentive, additional training would help in some areas. For example, I asked for some cheese crackers as the supply had run out during the cocktail period one evening, after a few minutes I was informed that there were more crackers on the counter but no effort was made to bring some to my table. A very minor issue, I know, but not something I would expect from the staff in the lounges of the other hotel groups I have mentioned.

All in all, a good hotel with modern business facilities, but I will not be returning until I can get assurance that, as a minimum, the current Lounge policies are being actively enforced. In an ideal world, as a business traveller I would like also to see restrictions on young children and mobile phones in Lounge - perhaps that is too much to expect in laid-back Manila and maybe I need to think more about the differences between the concepts of an Executive Lounge and the Fairmont Gold Lounge when choosing my hotels in future !

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank roger_sellek

Dear Mr. Sellek,

I wish to thank you for bringing to our attention the challenges you experienced at the Fairmont Gold Lounge.

I am very appreciative that you shared with us your observations and most importantly, your valuable suggestions on how we can further improve the overall experience of our Gold Club guests.

Rest assured that I have already spoken with my team about these concerns and they are now reviewing the best approach on how to firmly but politely reinforce the Fairmont Gold Lounge house rules.

If there is any way that we can encourage you to stay with us once again, please do not hesitate to send me an email at james.bevans@fairmont.com. I wish to give you assurance that your next stay experience with us would be more comfortable and convenient.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

i almost never write negative reviews, however my experience here was so disappointing, i felt compelled to warn fellow travelers. in short, you can spend less and find better service in similarly located hotels with just the same amount of luxe you desire. if you have business in makati, this is a great location. the hotel is relatively new, so that's a plus. unfortunately, everything else about the hotel fell short of my expectations of the brand, and for the price paid, definitely fell far short of similarly priced hotels in the region. i found the staff relatively aloof, generally unhelpful, and more willing to find excuses and frustrate me before checking simple facts such as reservations placed days in advance in my name, and not my room number. i was there during the hottest season, and during a 4 night stay received exactly one bottle of water in my room, in spite of the fact that there were two people checked in. don't expect ice during turn down, since you have to call room service. the litany of shortfalls goes on ad infinitum. it's the details that distinguish a regular hotel from a true experience, and that's people expect when we pay these prices for a respected brand.

5  Thank Robert A
Raffles_FairmontPH, Hotel Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear Robert A,

I'm saddened to learn that we were not able to meet your expectations. I understand why some of the challenges you experienced left you unsatisfied and disappointed.

First, I wish to thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are always appreciative of the valuable feedback we receive from our guests -- the positive comments affirms our commitment in providing exceptional service while the negative ones remind us to strive harder and to continue improving on areas that we fall short on.

I have personally discussed all the points you made with our key department heads. Our team is currently investigating the reasons behind our shortcomings and these will be corrected immediately.

While we do not provide an ice turn down service, we would be more than happy to include this in your personal preference so that on your next visit, we would be able to provide you a more comfortable stay.

Should you wish to discuss in more detail on how we can restore your trust to Fairmont Makati, please do not hesitate to send me an email: james.bevans@fairmont.com.

I do hope you will give us an opportunity to turn things around and show you the world-class service we endeavor to provide all our guests during their stay with us.