“Great Hotel But...”
Review of Fairmont Makati

Fairmont Makati
Ranked #3 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My colleagues and I stayed in this hotel last February after an event. The room was just right for us. The pillows are so comfortable and so nice. The staff especially the bell service were of great help. They're also so accommodating.

However, there are some things they might want to consider:

-The TV remote control was not functioning well. We weren't sure if the batteries need replacement or the remote is just not functioning.
-There is no bidet in the toilet.
-The keycards are so sensitive that everytime we try to open the door, our keycard was not accepted.
-The faucet is defective. We had to call the maintenance to fix it.
-The food in the buffet breakfast is so limited.

But overall, we had a pleasant and relaxing stay. We slept soundly all through the night.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HALLYCS
Raffles_FairmontPH, Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your experience with us.

I am glad to hear that you and your colleagues had a very comfortable stay with us. Thank you for acknowledging our hotel colleagues especially our Concierge team, I will be sure to share with them your kind words.

I appreciate your comments on how we can better improve the overall stay experience in our hotel. In regards to the TV remote and room fixtures, I have already shared this with our Engineering team. A bidet is something that is being considered in the future.

For the breakfast buffet, this is already being reviewed by our new Executive Chef. Hope you can come back and try our new culinary additions soon.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,858)

Reviewed March 20, 2013

The hotel is in an excellent location and has stunning decor and fittings. However the standard of service does not do the hotel credit.

The hotel was unable to press a suit on my arrival at 6pm until I made a fuss. Not a good introduction to a 5 star hotel.

I stayed on the Club Floor which again was a disappointment. The lounge is very pleasant but the service poor. The fresh eggs at breakfast were served on cold plates. The young staff who are very keen and polite are not well trained and tended to dither about. The evening snacks are uninspiring however the wine on offer is excellent.

I stayed for five nights and was bothered each evening by staff trying to convince me to use the Spa.

The buffet restaurant Spectrum again serves a la carte food on cold plates hence cold food. The waiting staff did not know where to place a sided plate. Not a reastaurant for a relexing meal with all the movement of people back and forth to the buffet.

The staff are well meaning but over the top and require a lot more training. At the moment not good value for money

1  Thank Robert R
Raffles_FairmontPH, Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

I appreciate your commendation on our location and the hotel’s beautiful interiors. I have also reviewed your comments on certain areas we can improve on.

I have noted your experience at our Fairmont Gold Lounge. I am pleased to share that the line-up of the evening hors d’oeuvres are being reviewed by our new Executive Chef. I have also informed him of your suggestion to serve on hot plates.

Thank you as well for your comment on the service you experienced with our colleagues, these have been shared with them.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

A great 5-star hotel in the heart of Makati.
Very accessible to different malls and restaurants.

Me and my friend just stayed overnight and I may say that it was a very relaxing stay.

-Very accommodating staffs
-Great hotel amenities and facilities
-Has an enclosed shower and toilet are, but no bidet on the toilet area
-Knowing that it is a new hotel, their faucet is already defective- good thing they responded immediately
-and again the usual hotel problem: TV Remote control is not working properly, I don't know if they need to change the battery or what.
-You're gotta love their comfy pillows, this made my night so great.
-umm, let's just say it is over priced compare to other great hotels around the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ac m
Raffles_FairmontPH, Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

I am delighted to learn that you had a relaxing and comfortable stay, and find our colleagues helpful and the hotel’s facilities great.

I am also glad to hear that the pillows in your bedroom made your night extra comfortable.

I have noted your comment on the availability of bidets in the bathroom – this is already being evaluated by our team.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Room is great and worth every expensive penny. Food is bad tasting, really bad. Service is over-the-top and gets in the way of comfort. Too much interference when one walks in the hotel. People just keep jumping on you at every step, profusely smiling, greeting and asking without invitation, how can they help. I just wanted to stay for a night in peace and not be the star attraction! I guess some people like it but I think it is really over-the-top for a business guest who just wants to have a comfortable stay and get serviced with efficiency when he/she asks for it. Even the waiters delivering the food will stand for full 15 seconds on the door saying some spiel while I am already nodding exaggeratedly for them to come in and put the food down. The again, before leaving the standard long spiel. my gosh, really over-the-top!

A few details ..

Good
Most expensive and newest hotel in Manila. Even for it's $350 per night, it does offer excellent value for money as far as the room is concerned.
Bathroom is spacious and luxurious. Towels are very comfy. Quality of Toiletries is very good.
Room has excellent lighting facility.
Bed is super awesome
Never found a working desk (and the chair!) - anywhere, hotel, office or my own home - as comfortable as they one they have in the room. in fact i took pictures of it to model my home desk as per this.
They registered me for the president's club when i checked in. Not sure if they will do for others, but that got me free wifi internet. Not sure how much it costs to pay.

Could be better
The arm chair somehow was not up to the comfort level.
The doors of the mini bar made a lot of noise when closing. Should be fixed. It closes with a big thud.

Bad
The quality of dine-in food was really bad. I ordered cheeseburger and it was not good at all. The patty was under-cooked and more than that tasteless.
Then in the night I ordered Chicken Curry. It was not good. Rice was also dry and hard. No curry in the chicken curry. Chicken was bland. Too much of curry powder doesn't make the curry spicy. It needs to be cooked properly.
Mini-Bar had too much alcohol and less soda. The fridge was not stocked back up during the cleaning. I had to order more soda on my own.

Overall, it is a great hotel if they could tone down their intrusive customer service and fix the food.

Room Tip: I stayed on 5th floor. It was a great room.
2  Thank HaSiKh
Raffles_FairmontPH, Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

I am delighted to learn that you find our hotel excellent but can be improved in certain areas.

I have noted your comment on our food. We have a new Executive Chef and this has been shared with him. I hope you can try our new culinary line-up when you return.

I have also noted your encounters with our colleagues. We will take note of your preferences so you can have a more peaceful experience next time you stay with us.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Room 536 was our aerie during our stay with this hotel. We check in at 4PM but there is no available room for us. The FO offered us a drink, nuts and chips while waiting for only 5 mins or less! Fast, quick and enrapt! What a great service! The room is clean and the aroma is good! The bathroom is furnished with bathtub, nice shower and just a satisfactory toilet bowl. The hotel specializes in pastries and desserts but not expert in main dish. What is really fantastic with this hotel is the exemplary and blameless hospitality.

2  Thank Bong988

I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and find our guest rooms, amenities and facilities, including our service great!

Our pastries and desserts are made fresh every day, I am glad you enjoyed them. I took note of your remark about the main dishes served in our restaurant, I have already informed our chefs about this. Thank you for sharing this with us as your comment will help us improve on our products and services.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed for only 1 night, but still found it was a wonderful experience.

The hotel is really beautiful and exceeded my expectations for a hotel in South East Asia. And the service was fantastic. Everybody was warm, welcoming and helpful.

I would definitely go again and would recommend the Fairmont to friends and colleagues.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Nic M

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to exceed your expectations.

I was also pleased to hear that you find our service fantastic and our colleagues friendly and accommodating. Thank you for recommending us to your friends and co-workers, we would be happy to welcome all of them!

Once again, thank you for your positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed 4 weeks ( over Jan- Feb) at The Fairmont for a business trip and it was an amazing experience.
I agree with the other reviews that it is the 'staff' at The Fairmont who make this hotel a 5-star.
Thank you to everyone who made my stay so enjoyable, very special mention to Michelle (assistant manager), Ray (concierge), Christian (front desk), Marie (security), Emel & Dominic Mario ( Spectrum), Eddie ( In room dining) who made me feel like I was at home and were so nice and helpful.
The location is perfect, opposite Landmark,Greenbelt and Glorietta.
Security is high and makes you feel safe.
There is a nurse on site 24hrs and a doctor comes in also during the day.
The staff is happy to run any errands if required, and went to get my medicines when i was sick.
Charles (night manager) personally accompanied the doctor to my room and ensured the chef was aware of my dietary requirements.
The hotel was also more than happy to store my luggage for 1 week after checking out until my return from Boracay (10kg limit due to smaller planes).
The hotel is also new,modern,clean and not too big.
Great personalised experience with all staff using my name from Day 1.
Thank you to everyone for such a memorable stay!

Room Tip: Higher floors due to traffic noise.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DanKa2004

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your one month stay with us.

I was also pleased to hear that your stay was made memorable because of our colleagues, especially the assistance given to you when you were unwell. I will be sure to let them know and thank them personally.

We are very fortunate to be located in a prestigious address, close by to big shopping malls which are very convenient for our guests.

Once again, thank you for your positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to your second home in Makati.