“Love it!”

Ranked #3 of 82 Hotels in Makati
Canton of Zug, Switzerland
“Love it!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here for three days, for a business meeting, in January. The hotel was still in 'soft opening' and was due to open in early Feb at the time.

The experience from beginning to end was great. I hope they can keep it up and this wasn't only due to the soft opening.

When we arrived, the hotel manager himself came to meet us and introduce himself. Admittedly we were part of a group of 10, so I assume he doesn't do that for everyone but it was a nice touch.

We were taken directly to our rooms as check-in had been arranged through our company. Nice though that Fairmont allow that; it makes arrival so much more pleasant after 4 hours on a flight.

The rooms are very nice. Obviously new and modern. Of special note for me was the working desk as it was set up very efficiently for working. Back to the window, plenty of light, plenty of sockets, fairly fast WiFi and facing the TV, for CNN! Also the bathroom was very nice: Large, with a separate shower cubicle with a huge 'rain' shower head. Perfect temperature and flow made getting up in the morning a little easier.

The only minor niggle about the room is the air con is very cold and blowing directly on you when working at the desk.

The meeting rooms were fine. Comfortable chairs (one tip for the meeting room chairs is you need to learn to pull the adjusting arm OUT if you want the chair to recline. It took us a day to find that), overhead LCD, decent audio system all worked well. They seemed to have some problems getting our telephone set up on one of the days but the second day was fine.

Food is good too. manila is not known for the quality of its food but the Fairmont make up for that. We had one dinner in the hotel and it was great. Huge buffet, good quality food. The snacks served during the meetings were delicious and plentiful!

A second minor niggle is there seems to be a lack of signage around. Finding your way to the meeting rooms or even the bar can be a little challenging.

The major benefit of staying at The Fairmont is the service though. I have always been a fan of Ritz Carlton brand for outstanding service but The Fairmont were really outstanding. Staff everywhere, even in the corridors. All of them ready to help and very pro-active in their service. For example, once the staff learnt I liked cappuccino coffee, they would ask me whether they could bring me a coffee when I looked like I needed it! I experienced superb, pro-active service from well trained staff the whole time I was there.

Location is good too - just opposite Green Belt bars, restaurants and shops.

Please keep this up Fairmont. I will definitely stay there next time I am in Manila.

1 Thank Mark_from_Thailand
Raffles_FairmontPH, Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your experience with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I took note of your valid feedback about the air conditioning blowing directly at the writing desk. This has been shared with our Engineering team and they were quick to make the adjustments. The direction of the air-conditioning has now been re-directed in our guest rooms.

With regards to the directional signage, we are now working on adding more to better assist our guests.

Once again, thank you for your positive feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed January 31, 2013

From the moment I stepped out of the Hotel car and into the hotel, I received nothing but top-notch, 5-star service. Everyone approached me by name. Everyone asked if they could help me. It was an awesome experience! I felt like a celebrity for 9 wonderful days!

Room Tip: Close to the elevator and overlooking the pool and Greenbelt rooms were very quiet.
1 Thank Shelly B

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was especially pleased to hear that we were successful in delivering you a personalized experience and you rated our hotel as “top notch”. Thank you for this commendation, we are humbled by it.

Once again, thank you for your positive feedback and we hope to welcome you back to your new home in Makati soon.

Quezon City
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I had an overnight stay here for our anniversary and the one thing we both agree about this hotel is its "royal service" as they call their customer service. From the moment we entered the hotel premises we indeed got the best welcome from all staff we met.

The room spelled of comfort and freshness, being a new hotel i guess.

The location is great too being in the center of Makati's business and commercial hub. Shopping malls and restaurants abound outside.

The only downside of this hotel is that the rate is quite expensive considering that there's no free breakfast and yes, the food is expensive too. Nevertheless, we enjoyed our stay here!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ten_11

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were made to feel very welcomed. I was especially pleased to hear that you liked our location, close to all of Makati’s best shopping destinations.

Once again, thank you for your positive feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Hayward, California
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Everything about the stay was top notch. Clean room, comfy bed, wonderful service. It's a new hotel too. My only complaint... Being in the Philippines, I would expect amenities (food, drink, hotel car) to be drastically cheaper, but those things were too much.

I was there 2 weeks on business...in that short time, the staff addressed me by name and often knew where I was going every morning as I walked out the door. For Manila,it's in a nice neighborhood. I felt safe (but don't be stupid here... Don't flash cash,phones or make yourself a target... Common sense). I made a comment on the first day about the drinks and 4 days later, the bartender remembered and was careful to do a better job. Also, at the pool, the attendants really pampered me.

The pool should be heated in January.

Their buffet breakfast was overpriced and wasn't prepared well.one time, the bacon was undercooked. Also, they don't have their layout figured out yet. For example, the pancakes are in one section,but to get butter, you need to walk to another section.

For some wierd reason, their drinks and food were different items on my room bill even though they were on the same receipt. That is going to make my expense report odd... But I'm sure they'll fix it if enough people complain.

Anyway, I'm going back there. It was a good visit and they took care of me. That's a good thing because until this place opened, my company normally put people in shangri la, and my coworker's laptops tended to disappear there.

1 Thank Joe S

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I noted your comment about our food and beverage being a little expensive. Many of our food items are imported for quality and we ensure that we are priced competitively with other five star hotels in Makati. However, I will be sure to evaluate this again.

Once again, thank you for your positive feedback and we hope to welcome you in the not too distant future.

New Jersey
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My sister and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in December prior to our trip to Hongking. I love teh location of this hotel. It is in the middle of a very busy location but you feel like you live in a private enclave. i gusee because of the design of the entrance. You feel secure as the front which faces a very busy street is closed.

The staff was very helpful. However, when we checked in, they brough us to a room with people still inside. So they asked us to go back downstairs and wait for the room to be ready. There was achange of plan after a few minutes and they brought us to a new room whcih was pretty warm because i guess they did nto have enough time to cool it off.

On our second day, they had an issue with teh ac unit, but they were very professional in ensuring the guests were comfortable. They even gave us complimentary lunch and dinner.

Will I stay here again? Definitely! The food was great and the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ilangilang
Raffles_FairmontPH, Manager at Fairmont Makati, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your experience with us. We are delighted to hear that you liked the design of the hotel and felt very comfortable and secure during your stay with us.

I also noted your comment concerning your experience upon check-in and the issue with the air conditioning. Our sincerest apologies for these inconveniences. However, I was pleased to learn that our colleagues acted quickly and professionally.

Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We have stayed there during the soft opening period, so you can expect small bits of things that are not ready like the hot and cold water in the bathroom. Staff are friendly, though there is an instances that its really annoying the way they treat guest. Overall its a nice short stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HMB05

I am delighted to learn that our colleagues were very friendly. They are very dedicated and enthusiastic which may have resulted to making some some instances uncomfortable. We are a new hotel and valid feedback such as yours is very useful. If there is any more information you could share with us, we gladly welcome it.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback. I hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 15, 2013

For the past seven years I have stayed at the Shangri-La in Makati but when the Fairmont opened I thought I would give it a try and I am certainly glad I did. The service that I always loved at the Shang has been perfected at the Fairmont and the new facilities and rooms take this hotel to a whole new level of competition for the five star market that has been missing for a long time.

Starting with arrival, I was greeted outside at the car, welcomed and taken right up to my room for check in. The arrival area, lobby, public areas and all facilities at this hotel are brand new and beautiful.

My room was a Fairmont Gold Corner Suite and was positively awesome. The room had a separate living/dining room and bedroom. There are, what I could estimate, 16 foot ceilings that make the room feel like a loft and give you an enormous amount of space and real feeling of being in your own home. The bathroom is big enough to place baseball in with two sinks, a large soaking tub, separate shower and wc. I am sure because they are brand new but the robes and towels were without a doubt the softest I have ever used. There were thoughtful extras such as fruits and chocolates left and a wide variety of coffee with a disk type coffee maker which is a nice change from the powdered instant coffee you get in the other 5 star in Makati. The wifi is free and works well throughout the hotel and the climate control works excellent. There is a his and hers closet and plenty of room in the bedroom to store away everything you brought. The room is so well planned and sized that I could easily stay a month and feel comfortable.

I used the fitness center, spa and pool at the hotel and all were out of this world. The pool is awesome with in-water loungers and a poolside bar. There is outstanding service at the pool bar and by the pool by the staff, you never want for anything and yes those outrageously soft towels again. The mens spa area has a steam room and mineral pool with showers and is very well equipped and once again the staff is amazingly attentive to everything you need.

I had breakfast in the Fairmont Gold Lounge and it was wonderful with an excellent selection of food. The service again was first rate as well and even saw some old friends working there that I knew from the Shangri-La. I also went to the long bar in the Raffle section of the hotel and that was quite enjoyable.

I travel quite a bit for work and there are many five star hotels that have the same level of amenities that you can find at the Fairmont. What you will have a hard time finding is the level of attention and service provided by the staff at this hotel. Everywhere I walked they knew my name, smiled (the real smile, not a dog smile) and greeted me. That is what truly makes a difference at a hotel and what really makes you feel like you are at home. They definitely go out of their way to make you feel like a valued guest and welcome at their hotel. The hotel is new and not as busy yet so I hope that level of service doesn't change once the hotel gets popular and more crowded because if they manage to keep this same level of service consistently they are going to earn the loyalty of people like me who have stayed at the other 5 stars in Makati and looking for a change.

This hotel definitely hit a home run from facilities, rooms, amenities and services. From a service standpoint this hotel is a 10 star. Keep it up Fairmont Makati !!!

Room Tip: The suites are outrageously big and worth it on long trips
4 Thank hdblue
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your wonderful experience at Fairmont Makati.

I was delighted to hear that you felt very at home with us and enjoyed the amenities we have provided in your room.

I was also very pleased to read that you were well looked after at the pool side and in the Fairmont Gold Lounge. I will be sure to share your positive feedback with all our colleagues.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next travel to Makati.