“Some things you need to know before booking here...”

Red Planet Makati, Manila
Ranked #17 of 83 Hotels in Makati
Atlanta, Georgia
“Some things you need to know before booking here...”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

First of all, this hotel is in the middle of the red light district. No matter which way you go, you will walk by lady boys and working girls on way in or out of the hotel. There are strip clubs and 24 hour massage parlors right across the street, and the infamous P. Burgos street is only one block away. If you are going to Manila for this, then stay here. If you are on a family vacation, I'd think twice before booking.

Also, the rooms lack basic amenities: there are no telephones, refrigerators, or chairs in the room. If you want to sit, you have to sit on the bed. If you want to make a call or order room service, you better have a local phone or be willing to walk to the elevator. Also, free wifi is not included for all rooms, so make sure you ask when you book. Mine was included, but their wifi passwords are only good for 48 hours... so every 2 days you have to put in a new password, which is annoying for longer stays. There is also no central air conditioning in the hotel- so the elevators and hallways are like steam rooms. There is AC in the room and a fan, but it's really noisy. The rooms are small too, so it's hard to drown out noises. Oh, AND the pillows here suck. They're flatter than pancakes. I left with so many cricks in my neck.

The positives: the staff is very helpful and attentive, and the housekeeping is efficient. New towels and soap every day. I did have an issue with the cleanliness of the linens though... I thought that they were putting the same sheets back on every day, but apparently they were actually changing the sheets and putting new ones on, it's just that the new ones all just had stains on them because whatever bleach they were using (or not using) for their laundry just left stains on the sheets. There is a TV in the room with lots of channels. They have 24 hour room service, which is nice- but again, you have to have a phone to be able to call them. They offer a safe in the rooms for you valuables, but I never had any problems at all with leaving my stuff out. There are also doormen working at all hours, so you feel safe going in and out of the hotel. They also have a sports bar next to the lobby. Decent food, but overpriced.

I'm not sure if I'd pick this place again, but it's definitely cheaper than some of the other places in Makati. I think most people pay $50 a night for this place, but I booked online and somehow managed to pay just over $30 a night.

Room Tip: Ask about free wifi
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank SheWhoTravels23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Stayed 3 nights in a small but clean room. Their Standard Double room is 14 sq.m but I kinda expect that already. Has free Wifi but no breakfast, pretty much a budget hotel in Makati CBD. Hotel is near malls,restaurants, bars and busy nightlife of Makati.Easy to get a cab if needed. There's a sports bar open 24/7 on ground floor if wants to chill out and have some drinks.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Linton, North Dakota
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Small very clean rooms friendly staff The staff are accomodating and quick to address guest's concerns good food close to the nightlife and restaurants money exchange on every corner will stay there agian

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The rooms are small, but according to Tune standards. The hotel and the rooms are clean, the beds comfortable. The hotel is located just around the corner from busy Burgos Street where one can easily find food, drinks, massage and company! Close to Ayala shopping malls.

Room Tip: Best thing to do is probably to book an "all-in" package through Agoda.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank waterzooi
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I mean this in a good way. The staff are accomodating and quick to address guest's concerns. Luckily there's a restobar at the ground floor.

Some people expect too much but should be fair enough in telling about their stay. Don't expect golden furniture when what you pay for is worth just a cabbage.

I'm happy with this cabbage! I'm glad I helped my friends stay here.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Spike N
Guam, Mariana Islands
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel twice during my month long vacation around SE Asia. Once at the beginning of my trip and at the very end before returning home to Guam.

My first experience at this hotel was not so bad. The room was very small but clean and cozy. The only thing that I did not like was the smell of the room. Since I was already throwing up from something I ate, the smell of the room only made my stomach worse and I couldn't stop throwing up. It was sort of an old, maybe stale sewer water smell? Eventually my nose got used to it and I was ok. Oh, and the cab driver ripped us off when he took us to the airport.

Our second experience at the end of our trip was not so pleasant. We landed in Manila early in the morning but the hotel would not let us check in until 2PM. We had to pay a fee to check in an hour or two early (after waiting 4 hours or so.) The location is quite sketchy and not some place I ventured out at night in. There were a lot of bars and perverted looking foreigners who came there just for sex. It was quite obvious. The room was more outdated than our first room with old paint and a stale smell. Oh, and the restaurant downstairs is actually really good. The only thing I did not like was that service was really slow. It seemed as if they were quick to attend to the male customers but if you were a female, it took long and the service left you feeling awkward.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ashlee M
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I stayed here eight months ago. No problems. I also stayed in the Tune Hotel in Cebu... even fewer problems. However, my current stay here has been miserable.

If you want to stay in Makati and only have $50 a night, stay here. You don't have much of a choice, as the other hotels in the $50 range are mostly worn-down dumps. At least this hotel is new.

The good: beds aren't too uncomfortable (although sleeping in your own sweat after they don't clean your room is) and the small size of the room doesn't bother me.

However, I find it a bit insulting that the 5-star New World hotel across from the Greenbelt mall is going for $110 the same night I'm paying $55 to stay here. Tune Hotel is not half as good as a 5-star hotel.

I realize I've probably outgrown budget hotels - even new ones - but here's how my stay took a turn for the worst:

Wifi - I'm a stickler for wifi. I need it to work. And I believe if you advertise something, you should deliver it. Especially when you charge for it every day. Yet the wifi was down for FOUR DAYS. Four days I had to pay other hotels to do conference calls and spend half my day at Starbucks. The staff said it was a Makati-wide issue; funny then how my meeting at another hotel had blazing fast wifi, every cafe at the mall had working wifi, and my friend's legal office had wifi. Lying, perhaps? Of course, the hotel said they'd refund what I paid for wifi... until they later said they were "incapable" of processing refunds. What happens if they overcharge someone? Or charge the wrong amount? They can't refund ANYTHING? They couldn't just hand me cash? More lies, of course.

Staff - Filipinos are pretty nice, but this hotel must have gone out of its way to hire the worst ones since I last stayed here. After three days of 1 hr of sleep a night, I arrived at 6am and asked to check in. They said they had no rooms until someone checked out. I returned at 11am and they said they had to charge me 300 pesos to check in. No exceptions for spending 30+ nights a year in their hotels. The staff is a bunch of robots. I paid the fee and, despite being told I'd be "given priority" for the first room, they gave me my choice of available rooms. Apparently "not having any rooms available" was a lie, too. I would have been happier to pay their extortion fee at 6am in order to sleep at a normal hour. Instead, the robotic jerks at the front desk wasted my whole day.

Housekeeping - Missed service half the time I was here.

Online booking - I selected one "Cozy package" (wifi/AC/TV/etc) on their website. When I arrived, the front desk girl chastised me for not selecting one per night (eight in total). Um, I'm sorry that your website is confusing.

Location - I don't mind being surrounded by transgendered prostitutes, strip clubs, run-down flophouses, and an array of low-end establishments. To me, it adds character. If you don't like stepping over a homeless person and being grabbed at by a ladyboy on your walk home, you might disagree with me. The hotel is indeed in Makati, but in the ghetto part of Makati. Just saying. If you plan to spend your time near the nice part of Makati and prefer not to walk, taxis will add $5-10 a day to your room cost.

Other fees - They never stop charging you here. Lose a key card? 150 pesos. I've purchased keycards for a business project and they cost about ten cents. But Tune Hotels, run by the penny-pinching squad at Air Asia, will find any way to gouge you.

I realize some of these issues are simply my issue with cheap, charge-you-for-everything budget hotels. I'll take the heat for that. Combine their cheapness with a grouchy staff (after all, a nice staff would just let you check in to one of eight available rooms for free) and you've got a hotel I won't stay at a third time.

I travel almost every day of the year, so I'm open to saving a bit of money. However, if you're here for a short trip, do yourself a favor and spend the extra money and stay in a better hotel. I was a fan of Tune Hotels for awhile as a budget alternative, but like Air Asia, they are going downhill.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo