“Awful”

AIM Conference Center Manila
Ranked #43 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Awful and nothing more. I am allergic and this was the WORST staying. If you have problems with health, avoid this hotel

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for AIM Conference Center Manila

Reviewed May 9, 2010

I chose this hotel because I had to make a stop in Metro Manila and I needed a place to stay within Makati. I needed a hotel that's not expensive but my decision in choosing this hotel didn't turn out reasonable. It was indeed a health hazard and hazard on your personal belonging. I paid Php3,020 for a single room without breakfast! I got a room at the back part of the building. When you stand at the window, you can see a ghost town view. Old and delapidated building will greet you. I was actually waiting for the bad fume insecticide but luckily it was not scheduled during my stay. Still,I kept coughing in my room. Worse than outside pollution. The following day as I entered the bathroom, 2 small guests greeted me. The other was quick enough to hide but the other one just loved observing things in bathroom and even enjoys being photographed(see pics). It was so disgusting for an institution like a hotel where you first and foremost expect a hygienic environment! I will never book or ever recommend this hotel. They still have the guts to charged the above mentioned rate? And be careful not to leave ANYTHING before checking out because you'll never get it back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2009

I booked into the hotel because of the cost and location. Also since it is attached to a business conference and study center I was expecting something modest and functional so I had no illusions.

The room was worn but serviceable. The bathroom was dank but usable. The furniture was creaky. The aircon was dusty and there was a lot of construction work going on down the street. Nevertheless I felt I could live with this since I was out for most of the day.

My problems began at night. I awoke in the middle of the night because of a strange smell. I thought it was the aircon so I turned it off but the smell - at turns toxic and like cheap perfume kept me awake. I finally got a couple more hours sleep as dawn broke. Despite showering etc I had this strange smell whiffing throughout the day. I realized that this awful, cough-inducing scent had permeated my hair and clothes.

In the late morning I returned to the room to find the attendant cleaning up. He was nice and polite. I looked at his cleaning cart and he had unmarked bottles of industrial strength cleaner and "room freshener". He was spraying the room freshener all over the place - carpet, bed etc. I asked him to stop - he did not understand me and sprayed more. Finally he understood. I realized that this was the source of the scent. I could not determine the chemical composition of the spray because of the unmarked bottle.

That night was even worse. I started to cough, and my nose and throat felt very dry - I kept drinking water but there was some kind of toxicity in the spray that was affecting my oncological tissues (I'm not a doctor but I can certainly tell when something is wrong with my body!). I found it very difficult to sleep - I opened the window since the aircon made my condition worse. However the construction work down the street was a 24 hour operation and although the workmen were not too noisy, they played a radio all night and it drifted way down the street.

I had a night of intermittent sleep. The next morning I felt occasional nausea but more than anything, an overwhelming dryness and a developing cough. Although I had paid some $450 or so for the stay (I think I'd booked in for about a week), I decided that my health and wellbeing was more important. I asked for a refund but because I had pre-booked on the internet, they would not refund, even for health reasons which they did not accept. Actually the registration counter staff and manager are awful people who would prefer to bat you away like a mosquito. The most helpful person in the "hotel" was the doorman/porter who seemed to understand my predicament but of course, as a junior member of staff, could not do anything.

Anyway I bit the bullet and checked into another hotel even though I had about five days left on my booking. I'm sure the AIM gougers rented out my room and made double the amount. However I just put the wasted money down to a learning experience which I am now happy to share with you.

The location may be good but if you value your health, or if you already have some health conditions that could be exacerbated by exposure to toxic or semi-toxic chemicals, then I would advise you to avoid this place like the plague. It is a shameful establishment with uncaring and indifferent management staff. This is made all the more worse because in my experience (I go to Manila once or twice a year) staff and accommodations in upmarket tourist areas like Makati have been generally very good.

By the way, the "swimming pool" is like a fish pond and looked just as murky and dirty. If the toxicity of the room is any kind of guide, I would think twice before venturing into this puddle of "water."

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
6  Thank Citypod
Reviewed May 28, 2009

My wife and I recently stayed at AIM in Makati before departing for the UK.
The facility is located in central Makati heart of the business centre in Manila and opposite Greenbelt 1 the upmarket shopping mall. AIM has a restaurant on the 5th Floor with serves the best breakfast I've had in Manila and is open through till 10pm. There is also a coffee shop on the Ground floor opposite reception.
The room was very comfortable not modern but very clean.The Aircon was very efficient and internet conection was free. AIM also has a swimming pool for guest usage.The staff are very friendly and obliging. Check in is 12 noon.
For reasonably priced accommodation in a central location this place is hard to beat.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jcjimc
Reviewed May 15, 2008

AIM Conference Center Hotel has an excellent location, being directly opposite the Greenbelt Shopping Belt. Do take note that some taxi drivers may not know this hotel by its name, henceforth if you encounter such a problem, just tell the driver Greenbelt 1.

Rooms are basic with little amenities but they are clean and comfortable. On the higher floors, you can expect a nice view of Paranaque and the international airport (visible but not very clear).

Do not expect 5-star service and facilities with the rock-bottom room rates they offer. Nevertheless, you can still find a decent swimming pool and nice eateries within the hotel. Across the street inside Greenbelt, you can also find numerous restaurants, food outlets and a well-stocked supermarket.

All in all, if you are looking for a no-fuss type of accommodation at attractive rates, this hotel is definite a good choice. I would say it is a 4-star minimalist hotel.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Sgkel81
Reviewed May 15, 2007

We have picked this Hotel because of its great location.
Though its very near to malls, business district --- price is still reasonable and lower than other neighboring hotels.

Staff are very friendly especially housekeeping and Front Desk.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank ShannonLim
Reviewed December 10, 2006

The location cannot be beaten. It is right across Greenbelt 1 where you can find some nice shops and restaurants. However, if you do not feel like tackling the pedestrian crossing (in Manila, motorists speed up toward a pedestrian crossing for fear of getting held up by a crowd of pedestrians-you're literally in danger of getting run over!), there's a nice Deli-France cafe on the ground floor. For those who do not like lugging a laptop during vacations, the AIM library is open (almost always) in which you can use their computer to check your emails or just generally surf the internet. The only time you really "feel" the cheap room cost is when you get to the room. The room is comfortable and a good enough size for sleeping and showering but the place is old and it shows. The carpets look dirty & old, and has started to "wrinkle" (looks like it's asking to be pulled out!). The white towels are no longer white because of age (it's now dirty white) & quite a few that were supplied are torn. The bathroom is mouldy. All in all, it was a comfortable stay, even though cleanliness is a bit questionable. As I said, it's the location that you pay for.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo