“Big room with great view of the park and makati skyline at night”

Somerset Olympia Makati
Ranked #27 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My family and I stayed there for a few months after being repatriated from Jakarta. We found it spacious and comfy for our family of 3. Safe parking in an area where it is quite difficult to find parking. We found the staff to be friendly and courteous. The Somerset is walking distance to various malls and supermarkets. Services are consistent with an upscale serviced apartment. Being near to the office was definitely a big plus. It would have been nice if there was a day care center. Working and living here helped us re adjust to Manila.My wife and daughter were also able to walk to the Ayala Museum, which they enjoyed a lot. As luck would have it, we celebrated Halloween in the Somerset with my daughter being dressed as " The Black Lady of Somerset " - good memories all of them !

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I recently spent just under a week at the Sommerset Olympia and found it very centrally located - across from the Ayala Triangle Park when you need to talk a walk & a breath of fresh air , close to a handful of shopping malls with everything you could possibly want with your choice of supermarket for groceries with essentials you just need to stack up on during your stay( especially when the rooms are furnished with a mini fridge & microwave) but the asset of the place is it;s staff - super friendly & courteous & professional & might I add quick to attend to your any queries.The facilities are well maintained & with access to the internet.This was my trip to the Philippines as I was attached to the WWF office close by and this property was recommended to me by them.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny"
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The Somerset is very centrally located in Makati, it's a close walk to local restaurants and an easy walk to the outdoor shopping area GreenBelt.

We had a joint room with two bedrooms and a living and kitchen area. The room served well for our 5-night stay. We had a giant fridge to tuck away beers as well as a large dining table to grub down on take-out.

The staff here at Somerset are generally pretty good. We were always greeted with a hello and a smile from the security guard, he was always accompanied by a very cute labrador. The dog was some type of security dog, but it didn't seem interested in doing anything but napping it out in the shade on the cool tiles. We made fast friends with the dog.

The breakfast buffet here is a bit of a wreck, and so is the restaurant on the second floor. We chose to schmooze over to the beautiful park across the street from the hotel everyday for breakfast. There are some really great restaurants in this small triangular park, and it's just a 30 second walk from the Somerset. This park is very cool, lots of joggers going round about from morning till midnight.

Somerset is great for what it is, the only improvements could come in the form of better food at the restaurant and a better swimming facility. The pool here is a bit lacking, pity in the extremely hot weather of Manila...

All in all, this was a great stay...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cally-Man
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The service is somewhat poor.
First, upon check in, the front desk lady insisted me to provide a corporate card my company issues when I can in fact just use any of my personal card to charge the deposit. I was charged the whole amount of our room rate.
Next, the internet connection in the room only allows one device to connect. We have to take turns. The password will only be provided if you phoned in the front desk.
We asked for ice cubes and was advised that there's not enough. Only a glass of ice can be given but we have to go down the reception area to get it!
Also, we requested for hair conditioner and was told it is never provided. That's fine if my friend from the other room was not given the same as that makes it inconsistent! If you plan to stay in any of the Somerset residences, better bring your own shampoo, conditioner and soap as they only provide lotion, dental kit and an all in one hair-and-body wash.
Another thing, not sure if the bathroom window's broken but there's rainwater spilling all over the floor that I almost slipped. The rain though is really heavy but to my least expectation that it will get in. I checked the window and it's compactly closed. It's also dim in the toilet/tub area as there's no light.
Let's talk about breakfast, I tell you I was dismayed. Few varieties and in poor quality. The waiters are not smiling too. It's like you woke them up from a good night's sleep and so they're pissed.
Lastly, the front desk personnel the next morning when I checked out is helping another guest yes but me and my friend got annoyed as she speaks to him so contemptuously, answering the foreigner guest back in a sharp, snappy way when the guest was patiently waiting for him to be accommodated and was humbly asking for help. Rude!
The unit though is beautiful, homey and comfortable. Room is very good as well except that the pillows are not too soft. It's furnished with complete facilities but I haven't seen a washing machine. The hallway to the rooms is narrow and confusing.
Please do not generalize as other Somerset residences I've stayed are good.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed here over the weekend with the fiance. Main reason I chose this place was because I needed a full kitchen as I was planning to cook a special dinner for him. Since my office was very close to the Somerset Olympia I decided to physically check the place out before I did my booking. The staff that manned the front desk (Janeth) and bell boy (Choy) who were there when I went were super helpful, showed me a sample of the room that I was planning to book and answered all the questions I had. I would've booked on the spot except that the rate they were quoting me was a little higher than what I found on the internet so I booked instead a 1-bedroom deluxe apartment throught the internet. Read through the preview reviews that there were ongoing renovations and some rooms were of poorer quality than the others so I specifically requested a newer, clean room in a quiet location in a tower with no renovations taking place and a room at a higher floor to avoid the noise of the streets (apartment D81). While the room was not yet "brand new" so to speak, it was clean, decent, no bad small and all those nasty stuff that would've been a turn off. To summarize my stay here's my good points and areas for improvement:

Kudos:
1) Clean, well maintained room even if it wasn't renovated/refurbished yet
2) Huge T.V with HD channels and wide channel selection
3) Huge walk-in closet
4) No pungent smell
5) Staff was extremely welcoming, friendly and helpful!
6) Aircon temperature was just right and could be easily adjusted
7) Functional kitchen
8) Complimentary welcome amenities like bottled water, lots of coffee, tea, sugar and cream
9) Bed and pillows were wonderful. Definitely had a good night's sleep
10) Free parking (1 slot per room)

Areas for improvement:
1) You could say that the kitchen was fully equiped but better if they also had the following: a big bowl (or like a casserole), scissors (!), serving spoons and forks, even a strainer. I've been to other condotels in the U.S. and when they say fully equiped kitchen they really mean fully equped you can practically cook or bake anything!
2) Would've been great if they had an honest to goodness oven
3) Would've been great if they had a T.V. not just in the living room but also in the bedroom (even if its smaller)
4) I don't want to say that breakfast was lousy but definitely could've been much much better. They offer 2 choices, you can either have breakfast at CAVA or the Old Swiss Inn. Both don't offer extensive breakfast buffet menus. Unfortunately you can only eat at one restaurant. My suggestion is, to make the menu more extensive, to let guests eat at both restaurants. That way what one resto doesn't offer he can get from the other resto.
5) Internet was only limited to one device.
6) They only offered liquid soaps in the bathrooms. Not cool if you don't provide a sponge/loofah
7) Weird that they provided 2 bath towels and 2 hand towels but only 1 face towel and 1 toothbrush. This eventhough I mentioned that there will be 2 of us occupying the room. Standard should be 2 of everything. Nice if they had provided bathrobes as well.

Overall our stay was satisfactory especially for the rate we paid. I have no complaints regarding that and if you ask me if I'd stay here again my answer is, for the right price I would.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Location - great! Opposite the Ayala Triangle Gardens. Minutes away from Greenbelt Malls, Landmark & Glorietta Mall.

Service - fantastic! Friendly, helpful and efficient. They even delivered a cake up to my room on my birthday.

Rooms - comfy but a bit old. They have this old rustic smell in them. Full amenities such as iron, ironing board, pots & pans for cooking, kettle, microwave, bread toaster and even found a washing machine in my suite.

Breakfast at the Swiss Inn seems to be slightly cheaper but with slightly less spread compared to the cafe below it. The Ayala Triangle Gardens offer great dining options for lunch and dinner.

The Olympia Spa offered pretty reasonable pricing for massages. Both my wife and I thought it was pretty good as well.

No free Internet was a major letdown. I heard that its free at Ascott which is right next to Glorietta mall. Swimming pool was in Tower A while we stayed in Tower D so it was a real let down as we didn't want to walk pass the drive way to get to the pool so we didn't visit it in the end.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed alone on business for 3 nights.

My room got upgraded to a suite and I loved it!

Staffs are so nice and attentive.
The only thing I did not like there was the smell in the hallway. It smelled like ripe fruit during my stay.

maybe, it was temporarily like that.

• Stayed: May 2013