“Poor service and breakfast for a high cost”

Somerset Olympia Makati
Ranked #27 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The service is somewhat poor.
First, upon check in, the front desk lady insisted me to provide a corporate card my company issues when I can in fact just use any of my personal card to charge the deposit. I was charged the whole amount of our room rate.
Next, the internet connection in the room only allows one device to connect. We have to take turns. The password will only be provided if you phoned in the front desk.
We asked for ice cubes and was advised that there's not enough. Only a glass of ice can be given but we have to go down the reception area to get it!
Also, we requested for hair conditioner and was told it is never provided. That's fine if my friend from the other room was not given the same as that makes it inconsistent! If you plan to stay in any of the Somerset residences, better bring your own shampoo, conditioner and soap as they only provide lotion, dental kit and an all in one hair-and-body wash.
Another thing, not sure if the bathroom window's broken but there's rainwater spilling all over the floor that I almost slipped. The rain though is really heavy but to my least expectation that it will get in. I checked the window and it's compactly closed. It's also dim in the toilet/tub area as there's no light.
Let's talk about breakfast, I tell you I was dismayed. Few varieties and in poor quality. The waiters are not smiling too. It's like you woke them up from a good night's sleep and so they're pissed.
Lastly, the front desk personnel the next morning when I checked out is helping another guest yes but me and my friend got annoyed as she speaks to him so contemptuously, answering the foreigner guest back in a sharp, snappy way when the guest was patiently waiting for him to be accommodated and was humbly asking for help. Rude!
The unit though is beautiful, homey and comfortable. Room is very good as well except that the pillows are not too soft. It's furnished with complete facilities but I haven't seen a washing machine. The hallway to the rooms is narrow and confusing.
Please do not generalize as other Somerset residences I've stayed are good.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed here over the weekend with the fiance. Main reason I chose this place was because I needed a full kitchen as I was planning to cook a special dinner for him. Since my office was very close to the Somerset Olympia I decided to physically check the place out before I did my booking. The staff that manned the front desk (Janeth) and bell boy (Choy) who were there when I went were super helpful, showed me a sample of the room that I was planning to book and answered all the questions I had. I would've booked on the spot except that the rate they were quoting me was a little higher than what I found on the internet so I booked instead a 1-bedroom deluxe apartment throught the internet. Read through the preview reviews that there were ongoing renovations and some rooms were of poorer quality than the others so I specifically requested a newer, clean room in a quiet location in a tower with no renovations taking place and a room at a higher floor to avoid the noise of the streets (apartment D81). While the room was not yet "brand new" so to speak, it was clean, decent, no bad small and all those nasty stuff that would've been a turn off. To summarize my stay here's my good points and areas for improvement:

Kudos:
1) Clean, well maintained room even if it wasn't renovated/refurbished yet
2) Huge T.V with HD channels and wide channel selection
3) Huge walk-in closet
4) No pungent smell
5) Staff was extremely welcoming, friendly and helpful!
6) Aircon temperature was just right and could be easily adjusted
7) Functional kitchen
8) Complimentary welcome amenities like bottled water, lots of coffee, tea, sugar and cream
9) Bed and pillows were wonderful. Definitely had a good night's sleep
10) Free parking (1 slot per room)

Areas for improvement:
1) You could say that the kitchen was fully equiped but better if they also had the following: a big bowl (or like a casserole), scissors (!), serving spoons and forks, even a strainer. I've been to other condotels in the U.S. and when they say fully equiped kitchen they really mean fully equped you can practically cook or bake anything!
2) Would've been great if they had an honest to goodness oven
3) Would've been great if they had a T.V. not just in the living room but also in the bedroom (even if its smaller)
4) I don't want to say that breakfast was lousy but definitely could've been much much better. They offer 2 choices, you can either have breakfast at CAVA or the Old Swiss Inn. Both don't offer extensive breakfast buffet menus. Unfortunately you can only eat at one restaurant. My suggestion is, to make the menu more extensive, to let guests eat at both restaurants. That way what one resto doesn't offer he can get from the other resto.
5) Internet was only limited to one device.
6) They only offered liquid soaps in the bathrooms. Not cool if you don't provide a sponge/loofah
7) Weird that they provided 2 bath towels and 2 hand towels but only 1 face towel and 1 toothbrush. This eventhough I mentioned that there will be 2 of us occupying the room. Standard should be 2 of everything. Nice if they had provided bathrobes as well.

Overall our stay was satisfactory especially for the rate we paid. I have no complaints regarding that and if you ask me if I'd stay here again my answer is, for the right price I would.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Location - great! Opposite the Ayala Triangle Gardens. Minutes away from Greenbelt Malls, Landmark & Glorietta Mall.

Service - fantastic! Friendly, helpful and efficient. They even delivered a cake up to my room on my birthday.

Rooms - comfy but a bit old. They have this old rustic smell in them. Full amenities such as iron, ironing board, pots & pans for cooking, kettle, microwave, bread toaster and even found a washing machine in my suite.

Breakfast at the Swiss Inn seems to be slightly cheaper but with slightly less spread compared to the cafe below it. The Ayala Triangle Gardens offer great dining options for lunch and dinner.

The Olympia Spa offered pretty reasonable pricing for massages. Both my wife and I thought it was pretty good as well.

No free Internet was a major letdown. I heard that its free at Ascott which is right next to Glorietta mall. Swimming pool was in Tower A while we stayed in Tower D so it was a real let down as we didn't want to walk pass the drive way to get to the pool so we didn't visit it in the end.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed alone on business for 3 nights.

My room got upgraded to a suite and I loved it!

Staffs are so nice and attentive.
The only thing I did not like there was the smell in the hallway. It smelled like ripe fruit during my stay.

maybe, it was temporarily like that.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My elder daughter studies in UP, Diliman and lives in a boarding house in Loyola Heights, Quezon City. Her room is just big enough for two young boarders. For her birthday present, her Papa, her younger sister, and I plan to surprise her by going to Manila, checking in at Somerset Olympia, and spending the weekend with her..... July 6 (her birthday) came and she was truly, truly surprise to see us, her family, at her doorstep. And what added to her birthday surprise was staying at the elegant Somerset Hotel..... she felt like a princess.... (and us, her family, felt like millionaires even for a day). Thanks, Somerset! :) :) :)

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2013

nice place , near to the malls , park ,and its in the ayala avneu so you can from here start your trip .
its got a nice rooms and its peace and quite ...
good service , good treatment , nice swiming pool .
i liked the breakfast that includ with the room ..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed for 3 night in June 2013 as recommended to us by our travel agent. Overall it was ideal for us with the positives far outweighing the negatives. Our party was myself, my wife and our 3.5 yr old daughter. We stayed in a 1 bedroom deluxe room. In point form:

POSITIVES:
- Excellent location. This is the most modern (and seemingly safest) part of Manila. The park opposite has some great restaurants that we frequented more than once (highly recommend Kanin Club)
- Neat, tidy and spacious rooms
- Great staff
- Small but functional gym with mix of machines/free weights
- Good breakfast (not amazing but nice omelettes and pancakes!)
- The Old Swiss Inn downstairs is a 24 hr restaurant located within the hotel. We found a free wifi network (d-link) and enjoyed the selection of beers and food several times while using the Internet
- Security. All the good hotels are very serious about this and the Somerset is no exception. Expect your taxi to be searched as you enter. There's a sniffer/guard dog on the reception door (his name is "Guardy")... A very placid, small redish dog that slept most of the time!

NEGATIVES:
- no bed was included for our daughter and we weren't prepared to pay the relatively high fee for an extra bed $AUD36/night (we overcame this by placing cushions from the couch on the floor of the walk-in-robe area of our bedroom. This doubled as a separate space for her and she was perfectly comfortable. The staff were very happy to provide us with extra sheets, duvet, pillows)
- the pool is fine for adults but a toddler trap. Very high sides, no steps and essentially nowhere for little ones to hold on to or stand. I'd recommend taking/buying a blowup ring or similar so toddlers can have some independence in the water.
- the standard of cleanliness is okay, a little bit “surface" in some areas

NEUTRAL:
- The hotel is a bit tired. It didn't bother us at all or impede on our enjoyment. Expect this in advance and you'll be fine.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family