“Overall a nice place to stay”

Somerset Olympia Makati
Ranked #28 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed June 8, 2008

We stayed at the Somerset Olympia in Dec 07 for a week. The facilities here were ok and the staff was generally friendly. Our unit was not facing the Makati Avenue, hence it was quiet.

The location was convenient as the Glorientta Malls were only a 10 to 15 minutes walk away, and there you can find all varieties of food, including the excellent Crispy Patta! The hotel is well-located in that places like SM Mall of Asia, Intramuros and Megamall are all only a short taxi ride away.

Security in the hotel is good and gave us a good peace of mind. Breakfast is adequate and you have it at 2 different locations.

My major complaint about the place is on the blling upon checkout. I booked online in USD under the Citibank World Privelege discount. On check-out, they insisted on converting USD to PHP at a rate which is way above the normal exchange rate. In fact, the hotel had 2 exchange rates, one for over the counter cash exchange and another (a higher one) for payment of hotel bills! Furthermore, they refused to accept cash payment in USD. Reluctantly, I had to settle my bills in PHP at the higher conversion rate. My advise now to others is to book in the local currency if possible to avoid this sort of unfair practice by certain hotels.

Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank TravelbugJPG

Reviewed June 5, 2008

We stayed at the Somerset Olympia 30 May thru 1 June 08. 2-rooms (a King and a 2 bedroom apartment) for 7 of us. Excellent service and right in the heart of Makati. Walking distance to the Green belt and Glorietta malls or p40 by cab. King room was 125 plus tax and the 2 bedroom apartment was 150. Both were excellent. The 2 bedroom apartment was an upstairs and down and HUGE with 3 1/2 baths if you include the maids quarters. These are serviced apartments and there was a washer and dryer. Breakfast was included for 2 for in each room. I will stay there again for sure.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank lipata
Reviewed May 27, 2008

i have lived in this hotel for almost a month now. And it has been a hellish experience for me. the attitude of the staff here is far from friendly. for them, the guest is just a source of money and they will try to get it from you by all means. the service though leaves a lot to be desired.
my laundary rates are pretty high and the quality is terrible. i had one shirt damaged by some bleach.
i swear i would never stay in a somerset hotel again.. in my life..

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank veejay1978
Reviewed February 16, 2008

I stayed at The Olympia for a couple of weeks (late Nov 'til early Dec 2007). The staff was great, very attentive to my needs and made my stay worry-free. Tight security that's in place made me feel safe during my stay. Restaurant personnel were also very welcoming and their breakfast buffet was also a plus.

Will definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Itisonlymeeh
Reviewed January 23, 2008

We stayed in a 2bedroom apartment at Somerset Makati from december 29th 07 - 2nd January 08

payment was 171USD and then 194USD in the new year 2008. We arrived on the saturday evening at which our relatives picked us up. We arrived to the hotel which I thought would have been noticeable but wasn't straight away. Because we arrived before new year celebrations the main road near the hotel (which was next to the Peninsula Hotel) were closed so it took a while to get to our hotel. For the rest of our stay @ Somerset, we went through the back entrance on the back road (which I think is the main entrance for the hotel) so it was strange.

When we arrived, I couldn't see at all the main entrance. We went down underneath which I thought was to park the car but then it is underneath where the main entrance which was very weird. As usual they have security to check bags and stuff. In order to get out of the hotel you need to go up the stairs near the restuarant and exit above.

So upon check-in, I made my relative make the reservation which was 171USD till 08 and then after in the new year they didn't know their rate which was stupid? So I paid enough in USD which I was hoping for the 4 nights we stayed but then I had to pay later after check-out some more Peso's. One to note: If possible, just book your accommodation online, its a bit of a hassle when trying to get a relative to book online. If you do it yourself then at least you can pay upfront and so forth.

Payment was 171USD and then 194USD in the new year 2008 and I had to pay 4k PHP upon checkout!

After check-in, we went to our room. It appears the hotel is split into 2 buildings or 4, i think? We were in the B building which we got the back of the hotel views which was dissapointing but none-the-less. We were in room B73. We booked a 2 bedroom apartment and looking at the firewall blueprint, it didn't look like a 2 bedroom apartment. The reason it was a 2 bedroom apartment? Well its 1 main room with a lounge and then a connecting room through to B72. So technically they just opened another 1 bedroom to make it a 2 bedroom apartment.

Ok so how was the apartment? Not like the photos you see on their website, so we got really disappointed!
The rooms are ok, bed suffice and the lounge ok. It was enough for us but for the price I felt ripped off but whats done was done. Look at the photos to see how it really looks like. They have a TV in the lounge, 2nd bedroom but not in the main (coz its normally a 1 bedroom apartment) and a kitchen etc. The fridge looked dodgy and only put our water in their. The air conditioner was really good, had one in each room so that was good. One time the toilet got stuck and this was new years eve and we contacted the reception and a guy came within 5 minutes which was good but they probably have lots of staff coz its cheap labour.

The free breakfast, well apparently we only got 2 which was complimentary which we should've gotten 4 but oh wells. The breakfast was ok, not much variety but suffice.

The location of the hotel as I stated was next to the Peninsula and was a 10-15 minute walk to Glorietta. Not that far and if you want to complain it is, then suggest you try the Shangri-la because i believe its directly across Glorietta.

Overall an ok hotel although I'd try a different one if I was staying @ Makati.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
21  Thank Sydney_Aussie21
Reviewed December 11, 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at the Somerset Olympia for the entire month of November. Our stay was a pleasant one. This hotel has a great location along Makati Ave., it is close to malls, grocery stores, movie theaters, bookstores, etc. The staff at the hotel were very kind and always helpful, after being there for the amount of time we stayed we began to feel like family. They would greet us as we would come in and leave by our names! They get really excited if you try to speak Tagalog, even if it's "good morning" or "hello" (everyone speaks pretty good English). We stayed in a one bedroom deluxe, which was fairly spacious and very clean. Housekeeping comes everyday except for Sundays. Daily breakfast buffet is included, mainly a Filipino breakfast but they will make you an omelet or pancakes at your request. If you are there at certain times during the month they have special events on the weekends where they will take you on a city tour, shopping, or hiking. One thing I disliked was the tub/shower, it was rather high off the floor I wouldn't recommend for the disabled or elderly. Some tips: try booking a room on a upper floor away from Makati Ave. if you dislike the sound of traffic (we were on the 7th floor facing Makati and it wasn't too bad but we had a great view), call the hotel directly for the best rates, if you ask they have specials for monthly stays. Overall, a safe and enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank allie_lyndsie
Reviewed November 30, 2007

I booked this hotel based on the location, the cost and the website information. It certainly was in a great location for shopping, catching the metro to other locations and for getting a feel for Manila. However, we were initially disappointed with our room.....the pictures and description on the hotel's website made it sound nicer than it was. It certainly had all of the amenities that the website suggested but it just didn't look as nice as we anticipated. The free breakfast and free internet (in the restaurant that served the free breakfast) were a nice option that is included in the cost of the room. Our room was only a single room and we suspect that the suites would likely have been nicer. All in all, it was a good place to stay.

We would recommend this hotel because of location and price, just don't expect it to be posh and fancy.

Stayed: November 2006