$111
$107
$82
  • Pool
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of $104/night.

$202
$158
$129
$83
$80
City Garden Hotel Makati(Makati)(Great Value!)
$51
$48
2,480 results
All reviewssalon de ningspices restaurantfax machinehalo halogrand lobbylobby restaurantbreakfast buffetstar hotelturn down servicebeautiful hotelclub floorpool area isbusiness tripayala trianglesuperior roomfitness centerbusiness district
Reviewed July 3, 2007

I have visited Manila twice from the U.S. within the last six months. The last time I stayed at the Shangri la and it was wonderful. On the recommendation of a colleague who I was meeting in Manila, I made a reservation for the Peninsula. I was traveling on business with 3 other colleagues from the U.S. and meeting up with 2 other colleagues from Asia.

I pre-ordered a taxi before arriving in Manila. When I arrived at the airport, I walked across the walkway and met the greeter at the Peninsula taxi stand. He offered us some water, which was much appreciated.

Our taxi was upgraded from a Fiero to a Mercedes, which was really nice. It was midnight, so it was very dark and there wasn't much to see on the ride to the hotel.

When we arrived at the hotel, the security guards did the usual checking underneath the vehicle for bombs, etc and checked my purse.

Check-in was smooth and quick. The bell man led me to my room and while we were walking he let me know that I was staying in a renovated section of the hotel, which was renovated just 6 months ago. He gave me a brief tour of my room which had a fancy and multi-functional control unit next to the bed (think old switchboard size) with the phone, alarm, clock, tv, radio, lights and all controlled from this beast.

I requested a non-smoking room and I was a little agitated that I apparently got a smoking room since there were ashtrays and matches everywhere, however the room did not smell like smoke, so I didn't request to be moved.

I was dissapointed that there was no iron in the room, but I called housekeeping and they brought me one and left it there for my entire stay.

I also asked for a currency converter. They brought me one, but it didn't work.

My biggest peeve with this hotel was the dining experience. The breakfast buffet was just average. There was an omelet station and it wasn't very good. Also, whenever we dined in the dining room, the service was extremely slow...and we left a few times without signing for the check, because we asked for it and never got it. They slipped the bill under our room door later.

I guess I am comparing my previous stay at the Shangi la, which had the biggest breakfast spread I have seen in my life. When I return to Manila, I will stay at the Shangri La. The rooms are nicer and the food is much better.

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank JudgeTravel
Reviewed July 2, 2007

The name "Manila Pen" sounded very exciting so when the idea of making a reservation, my family have looked forward every single day as our trip to the Philippines approaches. The hotel entrance was a plush with generous greetings and smile from the staff. We stayed at the Ayala Tower Deluxe room, though a litlle bit small, I would commend on how clean the room is. Breakfast came and everybody were excited to see what is in store for us. Dressed in denim and shirt and in zori and sandals, people at the lobby looked at us as if we don't belong, waited to be seated but people seemed to ignore us (looked at us as if we don't have money to pay for our breakfast) until finally one staff was too nice to find us a place. Everything crumbled after this incident and treated as an outcast .

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank daxter1960
Reviewed June 18, 2007

i LOVE the peninsula hotel in makati! even before you walk through the door, you are greeted with smiles and "good morning/afternoon/evening". it's an elegant establishment, centrally located, and has the friendliest staff i have ever encountered.

the rooms are a little bit on the small side, but the beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms are spacious.

the buffet breakfast has a good selection, but i wish they had more local dishes and fruits.

overall, it's still a great hotel, and i would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank cambridgechica
Reviewed June 16, 2007

I stayed here on business for two weeks and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The only word that can explain this hotel is LUXURY - everything about it!

The staff all make time to say hello and make sure everything is ok with you, when you go to the pool you have an attendant who rushes to put towels down for you, and is on hand for anything you might need, the two times a day room service is wonderful.

If you use the laundry, you can send your stuff before eleven am and it will be back hanging in your wardrobe by six pm - fantastic.

Every night there is two different types of live music - you have the Manila philarmonic orchestra and a wonderful jazz band - please make the time to listen to them and if you have any requests they will be happy to play them!

I cant say enough to praise this hotel - its beautiful!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank LisaOxford_England
Reviewed May 30, 2007

We stayed at the Ayala Tower (old wing) and although there was an early mix-up about our room (reserved a room with a king size bed but gave us a queen instead), it was quickly fixed when they brought in another mattress for our child. The rooms in the Ayala wing looked a bit tired (Makati Tower was recently renovated) with faded wallpaper and old-looking beds but the mattress itself was excellent! The linens were soft and cushiony and we felt luxurious sleeping on it. Buffet was excellent - wide variety of choice (either for breakfast or dinner). We also enjoyed the pool although it was much smaller in size compared to other 5-star hotels (e.g. Edsa Shangri-la or Sofitel Philippine Plaza). We tried the underpass to get from the Pen to Rustan's (new facility I think) - around 5 to 10 minutes walk. Quite safe to use but a bit complicated as you have to go to the second floor first and then go out of the hotel and go down to the street until you reach the underpass tunnel nearby. So, this would be okay during a fine day. But would be an inconvenience if it was too hot or worse, raining.
For a few extra dollars, I'd recommend travellers stay in the new wing. The room looks much nicer plus you would be closer to the pool area (no need to feel awkward crossing the lovely lobby in your swimsuit and bathrobe).
The only fly in the ointment during our stay was when we ordered their famous ice cream (you must try this!) and it took more than an hour for it to arrive. We were relaxing in the wonderful lobby so at first we didn't mind but how long does it take to put an ice cream together?
The highlight of our stay was AFTER we had checked out and realized that we had left some items behind (IPOD and cellphone charger). We called up the hotel the following day and Housekeeping had kept the items for us. We only had to claim them from Concierge. I'm truly impressed with the honesty of the staff. This act, more than anything else, will make me want to go back and stay there. A hotel may have all the amenities in the world but what is most important is knowing that you and your belongings are safe there.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family