“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #4 of 82 Hotels in Makati
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I stayed here for 2 weeks due to a business trip and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The hotel has a great location, large clean rooms, fast wifi, and a good size gym/outdoor pool area.

The hotel has a beautiful large lobby area with several restaurants/bars and I found the service to be excellent at all times.

I would definitey recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 13, 2014

It's been a few years since I last stayed at the Pen in Makati but on a trip back home to Manila I decided to treat myself before heading to my home province to see my parents. From the moment I checked in I was looked after royally, not sure when the rooms were refurbished but from memory they have been upgraded since my last visit 6 or 7 years ago and very comfortable it was too. Glad to see the staff remain as attentive as I remember way back in the old days. It's simply an oasis in the middle of Makati bedlam, I only ate in the coffee shop for breakfast and Old Manila one evening both were very good, breakfast had a huge choice with their buffet, Old Manila was excellent, but a little on the quiet side. All in all a very pleasant couple of nights break on my way home from Australia. Look forward to my next trip in a year or so.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Waltz M
Maidenhead - UK
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Business travel can be tedious with one city merging into another. It was great to stay here with lots of old-world colonial charm. Bell boys (and girls), hidden rooms, a great outdoor poolside bar and everything else that you could ask for. Even the wifi was fast which is not always the case in this part of the world. I would stay here again next time time I am in town

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I stayed 2 nights at the Peninsula. When coming back to my room on the second night, after a pretty long day on the road and in meetings, I found the room empty...tried to call the reception who would not pick up (love that)...went downstairs, it appeared my belongings had been checked out and put in 'lost & found'....no explication whatsoever, I only heard they were sorry 20 times...so someone saw an occupied room, and decided to empty it (pretty poor packing by the way, all shirts crumpled) before even checking that I was still staying here another night!!!

This never happened to me before in more than 10y of business traveling...thanks Peninsula for making this a first (and a last stay at your hotel)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank patrick j
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed May 8, 2014

The hotel has a beautiful lobby and is an eight minute walk from the Greenbelt shopping area, which has lovely restaurants and shopping. We booked a standard deluxe room and asked for an extra bed, for a fee. Depending on the deal you get, it might be cheaper to just book a larger room with two queen beds. We were three adults sharing a room and found it plenty roomy. We had room 653, facing the pool, and had zero issues with noise. The afternoon tea in the lobby is pricey but delicious and service is wonderful. The pool and exercise facilities were very nice. We had the buffet breakfast included and we found it very satisfactory all three days. We ended up asking for quite a few little things (ice, extra robe, sewing kit) and all were delivered promptly with a smile. The front desk took a while to answer the phone when I was trying to reach them before I left for Manila, which was a bit odd, but checking in and out was a very nice experience, friendly and competent. This experience makes me want to check out other Peninsula hotels.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Seoulite2013
Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed May 7, 2014

While on a business visit to Manila, we stayed at the Peninsula. It was excellent in all aspects-quality of the room, friendliness of the staff, excellent food and shopping facilities. We did pay some extra to take advantage of the club surroundings, but it was definitely worth it, including the free breakfasts! Would certainly stay there again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed May 6, 2014

My wife and I have been regular visitors and occasional guests at the Peninsula and at our recent stay I have to say that there has been a deterioration of standards. Generally the rooms and restaurants etc., are only average for this type of hotel. We tried the fine dining restaurant and were very disappointed. The food quality, portion size, price and standard of cooking was very poor. The restaurant was totally without any ambience, noisy and the service was sleepy and intermittent. Service makes a great hotel but for now the Peninsula is struggling to make three star standard.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank InquisitorX
Peninsula_MN, Manager at The Peninsula Manila, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear InquisitorX,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Manila. The dining experience you highlighted is truly regrettable and certainly not up to The Peninsula's normal high standards. Please accept our apology for the disappointment you have been caused and rest assured that remedial steps have been taken to prevent occurrence of the same incidents in the future. Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and please contact me at oliverdudler@peninsula.com if I could be of further assistance.

Oliver Dudler