“Excellent choice in Makati - highly recommended”

The Peninsula Manila
Ranked #5 of 82 Hotels in Makati
Sydney
“Excellent choice in Makati - highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

The Peninsula Manila is one of the best business hotels in recent memory:

Fantastic location - close to Greenbelt restaurants and the sprawling Glorietta malls
Beautiful pool - Large outdoor pool for relaxing after meetings / before flights
Huge rooms - Very large, quiet, spacious rooms
Dining - Lobby restaurants and in room dining were both exceptional
Impeccable service - The staff couldn't have been more accommodating

Throughout my stay the hotel was dominated by business people - which was fine for my purposes. However, If travelling for leisure, and attempting to avoid the corporate environment this may not be the best choice!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mrcharters

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Subic, Zambales, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

Myself and my wife stayed at the Pen again for 4 nights as we had business and just wanted to unwind. The staff are always help and service was great as well. As we have come to expect.The food was good and the Breakfast spread is good in Escolta. we also eat at Spices. We tried to get to the poolside BBQ they have on Friday and Saturday nights but you need to book as it was booked out. The only problem was there was some building work going on in the Hotel. It didn't start early about 10am and not on Sunday but my wife found it a bit annoying as see want to take an afternoon rest.. But you have to do maintenance at sometime..

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gavin K
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Peninsula Hotel over the Lunar New Year long weekend. We found our room to be quite comfortable and quiet, the staff to be helpful and pleasant, the gym and the spa to be first rate and the food choices to be very good. Simply put: we will gladly come back.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank JKoz1976
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

It was totally different experienced! my husband and i agreed to u JCJ2008 ..
My husband visited Philippines and other countries several times for business trip and of course leisure for me and to our 1yr old daughter .
We always booked in Dusit Thani , Holiday Inn , Intercon and 1st time in Peninsula as a couple.
1st morning we have our breakfast ,i wore a simple dress and my husband short and shirt ( our daugter was not with us , she's with my parents ) breakfast buffet area is in the lobby and very classy , yea
s stunning and because compare to other hotels just a room or restaurant .my husband asked an orange juice to a server , actually we took a long time to find a staff around us but then server came and just said " okay sir 2 orange juice ?" .. without asking me how about me or what i wanted to drink..i already felt something that why he didn't asked me as a right manner or service as staff to a guest like other staff of some hotels did. "its okay" i said in my mind... then past 10am a server came to us and said SIR we stil have 15mins to get some food blah blah blah ...... i was looking at him saying again in my mind "hey boy im here ! im his wife .. " actually that time i want to know his name and to tell him "Do i have to show my bank accounts and properties ,for you to see me here ?! then again " still okay in my mind... " and made me calm because a chubby staff smiled at me wearing a black blazer and pencil cut skirt and i think she's the manager or OIC in FNB . 2nd and 3rd day we didn't have our breakfast because we woke up late .. my husband went out for a meeting and i have to go to my parents house and also to see our daughter. when i passed by the lobby which is their dining area going to entrance /exit i saw 2 waitresses and just looked at me without even smiling ! again in my mind "okay!"...
4th day and our last day , my husband kept our luggage and he took it at night and that time i was waiting for him in the airport. wow ! for the 1st time was surprised that my husband telling me about what he experienced while we're talking in the phone.. he said " hon the security guards told me "c'mon c'mon your bag ( back oack) and then he told me he used the restroom the staff also looking at him differently .. and because his just wearing a jacket and a very old shirt and a bit wet ( it's raining rhat time ) compare everyday his wearing a business suit ..so we have a long conversation and the fact that my husband reacted that way , never heard that to him ! 1st time ! so i told everything what i felt or experiences to the staff of Peninsula .. because only that time i told everything after i heard it to my husband .. sighhh well this time i will not keep my mouth shut anymore ! that's why when we went home i red about the reviews of Peninsula .. yes the hotel is so classy , luxury , paradise etc .. but like the filipino sayings , " aanhin mo ang bahay na bato kung nakatira naman ay KWAGO , mabuti pa ang kubo nakatira ay TAO" all the bad experiences here are almost same cases ! what do the staff in this hotel thinking about themselves ??? they judge u by how u LOOK and what u HAVE ! just feel sad for the others that can't really afford ??? well Peninsula is not just the hotel in Manila ..there are much better hotels that will treat u right .. yes they're right unless your wearing a very well clothes , jewelries , shoes etc .. GO ! Why not ?! felt this way because to all the hotels we stayed before , never treated us the way Peninsula staff have !

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank whattatap
Delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

Stayed in Peninsula for 5 nights in Jan for a business meeting. The rooms were wonderful, clean and the service was impeccable. The staff was very helpful and courteous. The internet connection was very decent. They can though improve the breakfast spread which was very limited in choice. The location is very nice - short walk to most of offices on the Ayala / Makati Ave.
Its also very close to Greenbelt which has some amazing restaurants and night life...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Un-Happy ending

Just had my eldest son’s much awaited wedding reception at the Manila Peninsula Hotel which turned out to be a total “UN”-happy ending!!!

Having paid in advance 1.3 million pesos I was disappointed, which is an understatement, by the appalling service culture with not only 1 senior management member but all the way up to the General Manager!……

After a supposedly memorable evening, leaving the wedding couple on their own, I was called by my son at around 2am frantically seeking help. He needed another room for themselves since his sister in law had to take the suite with the daughter and nanny only to be told by a Tony[--] (Duty Manager) that unless they paid an additional 15,000 pesos for incremental they can very well get into a cab and find another hotel. They did have 9,000pesos which was not considered at that time, but after putting the newly weds close to an emotional breakdown, conceded to give them the room at almost 3am.

It doesn’t make sense since the same man (Tony[--]), had approved for the couple to have an outstanding balance of 100,000.- pesos for additional guests at the reception, but for 15,000 pesos, refused to give another room??? Did he think they were going to walk out without paying when both the brides parents and groom’s relatives were staying in-house?

Being quite upset with the turn of events of a supposed happy affair in our lives, I contacted the hotel to make an appointment with the General Manager, Sonja [--]only to be told by her secretary that the GM would only be able to see me in two weeks time! Really? What is the service industry coming to? The GM accepts business of 1.3mil in a heartbeat but makes a dis-satisfied customer wait 2 weeks to be graced by her presence?!? But I could see the Hotel Manager Oliver [--] the so-called hotel trouble shooter - who did call me but only to add insult to injury. This Hotel Manager tells me that the wedding couple were rude and that they will not tolerate that..I told him if there was rudeness it may have come after they were refused to be given a room only because they did not have the 15,000 he asked for. I did mentioned as well what Tony [--] said when my daughter in law asked him**You're telling me that you want us to go get a cab and get a room in another hotel? and He answered YES Mam. Mr. [--] questioned me that. We ended up him saying he would have to call me back – To check on the story? Maybe he should have done his homework prior to calling me.

The next day, I called the Peninsula and told them that it would not be necessary for Mr. [--] to call me back as I would be bringing this up with their corporate office in Hong Kong – LOW AND BEHOLD! – a few minutes later the General Manager Sonja [--] has decided to get off her pedestal to call me.

How absolutely un-becoming of a hotel that is supposedly 5-star, well perhaps in facilities, but I will give them a “NO-star” for customer service! Even the jeepney drivers carinderia would treat their customers better – most especially at that price!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
23 Thank mara n
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Surprised with all the 5 * ratings here.
This hotel is a 4 star at best and is not in anyway comparable to hotels that are truly in the league of 5* hotels. Those rating this property 5* may not have had the experience of true luxury 5* hotels and the service and culture that surrounds them.

After reading other reviews on TA I am compelled to submit my own as I see there are recurring patterns at this property.

This was my very first stay at any Peninsula hotel, other than having tea at the Hong Kong flagship I have never spent any time at any of their properties.

I was a long time Hyatt Diamond but switched to mainly Shangri-La after a move that saw all my business move to Asia. My standard for nice 4.5-5* hotels are Grand/ Park Hyatts, most Shangri-La's, Four Seasons, and smaller boutique hotels worldwide.

I booked my room online via the Peninsula's website, not a 3rd party discounter. I reserved a superior King room at a higher rate than the standard rooms.

Upon check in I experienced what many others here have posted, that my booked room was not available but they would gladly sell me a room with a king bed for more money.

Not acceptable. I ended up taking what they told me would be two queen beds but ended up being two singles. Since this was for one night only I did not complain or asked to be moved. Also, I suspect that it was just a standard room and not the superior that I booked and paid for.

My view, (described as garden) was mostly overlooking a maintenance area on the 3rd floor.

The Lobby on a Sunday was packed with a wedding (see other reviews), ok fine, however as another reviewer noted the party lasted nearly to midnight with loud bass music coming up into the room from ballrooms below.

Not ok.

The most important thing a quality hotel does is provide a quiet restful atmosphere for its guests.

This could be seen as the luck of the draw but it seems that this hotel is always quite busy and as others noted, the beautiful lobby is often quite chaotic and anything but a tranquil oasis from manic Manila.

A few things management might want to take note of if they truly want to present themselves as a 5* hotel.

Housekeeping should be discreet and quiet. Having a service area for them at the entrance to hallways seems ok, but all I saw were very loud and un- professional staff coming and going while making a lot of noise, talking and laughing loudly. Take a note from the Park Hyatt Tokyo, not only do you not hear housekeeping...*you never even see them* !

I received no turn down service and limited amenities in the room.

As for the room itself, it is dated but I knew that going in so was not disappointed, the rooms are average, the bathrooms above average but all showing their age.

Breakfast at the buffet was about average, not 5* quality food but a wide selection and friendly staff...however when I accepted an offer for a second cup of coffee it never came, I had to ask twice more ( 2times!) before it finally showed 20 mins later. You will note similar experineces in other reviews.

Do you see recurring themes here?

Not honoring booked room, indifferent service, less than 5* accommodations, overrun lobby and common areas.

Upon checkout, which was fairly swift, I did not mention any of these things to the staff, instead I waited to see if they would ask me how my stay was.

That *never* happened.

I do not think I have ever stayed at any upper end property that did not inquire to how my stay with them was.

This was very telling.

This was my second visit to Manila, the last time I stayed at the Shangri-La; when I booked this time I noticed that the Shang was several thousand more Pesos per nite, I decided to give the Pen a try, and for me I can now understand the difference in price and sadly to say, even though their other properties may be great I am now fully soured on the Peninsula brand.

If this is priced around 7,000 PHP or less it may be decent value for the money, otherwise there are much better alternatives and I will not go any further into what I hope is not something more sinister in regards to multiple reviews and my own experience of booking and paying for one room and trying to be up-sold to something else while not delivering the promised accommodation upon check-in.

All in all a rather large disappointment to an otherwise nice visit to Manila.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the convention facilities.