“Mixed feelings”

The Peninsula Manila
Ranked #7 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Based on rave reviews from colleagues, I was looking forward to staying at the Peninsula. Indeed, the entrance area and huge lobby impressed me right away, with an orchestra playing classical tunes when I arrived. I also thought the pool area and the buffet breakfast were first-rate.

The grandeur was amiss in other areas. For example, only two staff handled check-out when I left, leading to a longer wait; some staff were shuffling papers instead of taking care of customers. Food orders at the pool restaurant took a long time, but at least beverage service was very fast and the ordered dishes very tasty. In addition, while the room was functional, it lacked atmosphere and was very cold and humid, even when turning off the A/C. The windows were among the dirtiest I have seen in five-star properties, with a thick layer of dust on the outside. On the other hand, the room offered an excellent desk area and rapid internet connectivity to take care of business. The bathroom was extremely spacious and warmly lit, and everything worked well.

Traffic in Manila was worse than expected, so we spent a lot of time in the car between meetings. In addition, the city is not pedestrian-friendly. While several malls were within walking distance, with great indoor and outdoor restaurants, getting back from them to the hotel required climbing over some barriers and jaywalking, as the underpass to the hotel closed at 8 pm. No shuttle bus was available to and from the hotel.

So overall, I am not certain if I liked the entire set-up. I am torn and have mixed feelings about the hotel.

2  Thank SGECHAMPION
Peninsula_MN, The Peninsula Manila at The Peninsula Manila, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear SGECHAMPION,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay with us. Your experience with the Pool Bar and Front Office staff respectively have been well noted and please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you have been caused. Corrective actions have been taken immediately to prevent occurrence of the same incidents in the future. We appreciate your valuable comments about the nearby pedestrian underpass and the hotel's shuttle service which will be both looked into. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future and please do not hesitate to contact me at: oliverdudler@peninsula.com.

Yours sincerely,
Oliver Dudler
Hotel Manager
The Peninsula Manila

Reviewed November 9, 2013

My family and I try to stay in the Peninsula whenever we are in Manila whilst on holiday in the Philippines.
Reading the reviews to date there is little to add other than to say that this is simply the best hotel we have ever stayed in.
The staff go out of their way to assist you. Nothing is ever a bother and any small problems tend to be resolved immediately or without even having to report them!
Very helpful also in accommodating our infant son.
Breakfast excellent.
Facilities are first class - an 'oasis' from the bustle of Makati.
Car pick up service from NAIA is also money well spent.
As I sit writing this on a cold/dark afternoon in Europe I REALLY wish we were back there right now.

Room Tip: Recommend rooms looking North East towards Rockwell and Fort Bonifacio. In my experience worth payi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank DandJ_2008
Reviewed November 9, 2013

The lobby is beautiful, but the rest of the hotel is dull and dreary. The buffet was so bad I couldn't eat most of it. They have a lot to learn from the Mandarin, just down the street when it comes to food.
They must have the most expensive water in the whole eastern hemisphere, if not the world. I paid the equivalent of $7.15 AUD for 150ml of water from the minibar. I don't care if this bottle was squeezed from the last drops of fresh water in the Philippines, it was entirely too expensive.
Hey Peninsula Management...take a hint from your neighbours, the Shangri-la and Mandarin Oriental...boost your appeal by fixing your atrocious buffet, renovating and being sensible.

Room Tip: Ask to stay off the side facing Glorietta Mall. It's very loud (for example, motorbikes don'...
2  Thank TroyF
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This has to be one on the best hotels I have ever had the pleaseure of staying at. I can not fault the service, quality of food, level of finish or the standard of presentation. Nothong was too much trouble. As with all of Manila, there is a high level of security which instills a level of comfort for guests. Pricing was very good, though I did not pay for my stay as this was a business trip.

I can not recommend ths establishment highly enough, exceptional experience on all levels.

1  Thank Laurie C
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My Wife is from The Philippines but we live now in Chicago. Whenever We visit Manila, we always stay here at The Peninsula. We have been coming for years and I have never taken the time to write a review.. We are always blown away by the kindness and strong effort to make you feel welcome, as well as being spoiled and pampered at every turn. The hotel has gone through renovations over the years and looks fantastic! Spacious, well appointed and luxurious rooms as well as a Wonderul Lobby. The Pool and Spa are my favorite places to be :) We never have had any issues with anything at "The Pen" as some call it, and will always return there for our stay. You can't go wrong, that is, if you want to be treated like a VIP!.. A special thank you and notice for Joey who is the Incharge at the Carpark. This guy, year after year, he goes out of his way to help us with anything we need. When we arrive from the Airport, he seems to always be there to greet us and he always remembers our name! Impressive!!... So indulge yourself at The Peninsula Hotel in Makati. You will NOT be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2013

this hotel is not too far from the airport about 250 php by metered yellow taxi. very convenient for people who wants to enjoy Manila sight or just having long layover until you catch a next flight.
we were only here for two nights well one night at a time for two different occasions and it was amazing experience.
rooms are beautiful and hotel lobby and lobby bar/restaurant was really beautifully amazing. live music is played nightly at the lobby bar and it is very classy. prices are high for Manila but really normal US price.
they had breakfast inclusive to our room rate so we tried their breakfast and it was amazing! it is buffet style but gourmet buffet with quality eating.
if you are going to lobby bar i recommend to order their ice cream deserts it is so delicious. their wine choices are limited and a lot of them were sold out by glass and they only had limited selections but their reserva red is very good.
we took hotel car back to the airport which is about 10 times more cost but if you want to be on time for your flight, i recommend taking it since metered cab you might have to wait a bit at the hotel to catch one.
overall beautiful place with nice stay.
stuff are very nice and front desk stuff personally walked us to the room.
how amazing. that is super service.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I knew this hotel was good but not this good! Read on.......

I was visiting Manila on business (regular visitor/resident since 2004) staying at the Manila Peninsula. Unfortunately I suffered a heart attack in the mid afternoon on getting ready for work. I asked the exchange for a doctor because I was suffering from chest pains and within minutes a full team was in attendance. They called for an ambulance but the duty manager (Gino) decided the ambulance was taking too long and they put me in a hotel car with the hotel nurse and with hazards flashing and horn blaring got me to the emergency room at Makati Med in minutes. The care was excellent and I had angioplasty procedure within 2 hours. I was discharged back to the hotel 5 days later my wife had joined me the day after the attack, and had just over 2 weeks recuperation before I could fly back to the UK. Whilst recuperating, and whilst I was in Hospital the hotel staff could not do enough for my wife and myself, the nurses kept in touch to make sure I was OK. The hotel was excellent throughout and at the time of the incident went over and above in looking after me.

Needless to say when I can afford it there is only hotel chain that I would be looking to stay in the future.

Thank you so very much Manila Peninsula.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business