“Still the best stay in the Philippines”

The Peninsula Manila
Ranked #6 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Not the newest rooms, but the beds are still the best you can find in the Philippines. While the television needs a better signal the classic cabinet in the Peninsula's rooms are a great piece of furniture. I know it's childish but I always play around with it, nice to have something like this at home.

The Asian restaurant was a disappointment, the chef needs to eat ASEAN food to get the taste right, what made it worse was that the pork inihaw or roasted pork was the saddest part of the meal.

Room service, the lobby cafe/resto, and Escolta made for a great stay. You can very well make this a heritage site for Filipino cuisine. They have one of the best recipes for halo-halo (an icy cool dessert) and probably the last bastion of queso and ube ice cream in the country. Too much ado about ice cream? Try to check the labels on store-bought brands, almost all say frozen dairy dessert, now I do not have the exact list of what Unilever feeds us but it is definitely not ice cream, not the taste, not the texture, not the satisfaction you get from eating real ice cream.

I digress, the lobby is as immaculate as ever, even if you need infrared goggles at night. The Peninsula has this atmosphere of being clean without being sanitary and they are one of very few hotels where carpeting is still a good idea. They have made an attempt at polishing up the guest rooms and the bathroom looks and feels new, unlike the ones at the Intercontinental nearby.

Great location, great food, great rooms, still the best stay in the Philippines.

Room Tip: Get a room near the elevators if you're not a light sleeper. The corridors are looong and it'...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,253)

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Me, my dad and my 3 kids stayed for 3 days and 2 nights last Dec 24-26. The staffs were very busy but glad that the rooms were available when we checked in. We had dinner at Spices. We don't have a reservation but glad that they still accommodate us. My kids enjoyed the foods as well as my dad. The next morning we had our breakfast at Escolta. There were lots of food choices available. I really recommend buffet at Escolta. My kids also enjoyed the pool. Good thing they had complimentary bottled water that you can asked in the swimming area. I love the room. Their service. I love everything about this hotel

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My third trip in the last few years - I am aways "awed" by the wonderful luxuriant hotel lobby - how grand - and it is supported by the service of the concierge and front desk staff.

and that is where it stops:

last time I vowed I would not eat in again but when you are very busy it is difficult - Spices is fine and I enjoyed two good meals there this time.

The lobby meals are some of the poorest quality I have eaten in Manilla - I am not sure what it is - do they buy low grade raw product and/or is it just poor culinary skills in the kitchen. The dishes are continuously overcooked, the meat tough and stringy. Even an omelette I had one morning was so dry I believe I could have used it as a door stop.

And the ever declining quality of service in the lounge - certainly more noticeable over this my visit - and there are so many staff around - this time I got up and left twice because of no service. I noted this time that the actual service process is taking far to long - perhaps a few SOP need to be looked at. There some very professional and "service oriented " staff.

AND the ruin of my stay (most likely my last for the Peninsular) - the most wonderful lobby environment with its palm curt orchestra having to complete with a thumping disco in a function room just behind - WHAT A FARCE - WHAT A SHAME

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank docfeedback
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We checked in wearing shorts and t-shirts, and never dressed up while we were at this hotel. Don't feel uncomfortable because you see lots of folks dressed up, they are here for business only and probably won't leave the comforts of the hotel (it is hot and humid! Would any sane person don suits to be a tourist in this weather?) That said, I did feel like the guy checking us in was trying to upsell us a more expensive room. He asked for a business card and then proceeded with his sales pitch. We were content with our room and included breakfast buffet. Other than that, we were very satisfied with the hotel and service overall. Their lobby was comfortable and had great ambience. I thought it was quite comfortable to be able to choose to sit and dine on a set of sofa & coffee table setting (or standard table and chairs setting). The food overall is great, no complaints. They had great wifi throughout the hotel, no password needed in the lobby, hence lots of dressed up business folks? Unlike most other hotels we visited, Shangra La included, which did not provide free wifi in their lobby. I would love to come back here again!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just reading reviews on this hotel. What upsets me is what people have experienced was totally diiferent to our stay.

- We booked a Deluxe room, and by now looking at the Peninsula Website, it looks like they downgraded us to a Superior Room (We thought it was the Deluxe Room at the time!). No wonder it seemed tiny, the roll-out bed took all most of the floor space! We paid and booked for the Deluxe Room, with twin beds so we did not need to have a roll out bed and of course for the space.
- No Milk, cookies and/or teddy bears and colouring books for our little one :(
- The shower had a drainage problem, it flooded the whole floor and the clothes that were left on there got wet. This was adressed to housekeeping but it was never fixed.
- The whole place felt uncomfortable. Fake smiles and felt you were judged. Especially by the pool, employees looking at us very suspiciously the whole time.

On the plus side - loved the breakfast buffet! this was included in our stay.

So unless your normal attire of clothing is a suit, jacket, tie, expensive jewellery and clothes ( in other words looking 'rich')... this is the place for you. And then you will be treated like royalty. And oh we were foreigners ( American ) so it was not a Filipino/White people discrimination.

Will be staying elsewhere next time we are in Manila. BTW, we can afford a more expensive hotel than this.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed in the Peninsula for one night because we were taking our twin girls to an event in the hotel with us. Looking at the website, I didn't expect much because there didn't seem to be an open pool area for the kids to hang out in, or a play place for toddlers.
I was really surprised when we arrived because first of all, the hotel staff were great with the kids, starting with the guard when we got down from the car.
We didn't request for play pens, but since they knew we had kids with us, they were set up in the room already when we got there. The girls loved them, there were even bear duvets. There might not have been a place to play but they loved the spacious rooms. They were running around as soon as were entered the room, they also loved staring at the lobby ceiling and watching the musicians.
Aica from reception asked if our kids could have cookies and milk when she brought us up to our room, and when we said yes, they sent strawberry milk and oatmeal cookies right away. We also ordered from the kids menu and the girls loved every single thing we ordered.
We checked out today and right before checking out, they brought Peninsula teddy bears to our room. One for each daughter!
Nice spacious rooms, excellent food, and staff that really make every effort to make you feel welcome.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Dont even hesitate to stay here. Rooms are very clean, bed are comfortable and the food is outstanding. I visit 3-4 times a year staying for a week or more. The consistency of the room cleanliness is comforting after traveling half way around the world. There are several restaurants including the lobby (which is amazing for visiting, eating and business!). NIght club and late night bar on site along with casual and upscale dining. However, I like to sit at the pool and eat in the cabana. Friday they do bbq (well not like texas but OK).

You just cant go wrong with this selection as you Manila hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business