“Highly recommended hotel. Highlight of my stay in the Philippines.”

The Peninsula Manila
Ranked #5 of 82 Hotels in Makati
“Highly recommended hotel. Highlight of my stay in the Philippines.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We checked in wearing shorts and t-shirts, and never dressed up while we were at this hotel. Don't feel uncomfortable because you see lots of folks dressed up, they are here for business only and probably won't leave the comforts of the hotel (it is hot and humid! Would any sane person don suits to be a tourist in this weather?) That said, I did feel like the guy checking us in was trying to upsell us a more expensive room. He asked for a business card and then proceeded with his sales pitch. We were content with our room and included breakfast buffet. Other than that, we were very satisfied with the hotel and service overall. Their lobby was comfortable and had great ambience. I thought it was quite comfortable to be able to choose to sit and dine on a set of sofa & coffee table setting (or standard table and chairs setting). The food overall is great, no complaints. They had great wifi throughout the hotel, no password needed in the lobby, hence lots of dressed up business folks? Unlike most other hotels we visited, Shangra La included, which did not provide free wifi in their lobby. I would love to come back here again!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Katherine, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just reading reviews on this hotel. What upsets me is what people have experienced was totally diiferent to our stay.

- We booked a Deluxe room, and by now looking at the Peninsula Website, it looks like they downgraded us to a Superior Room (We thought it was the Deluxe Room at the time!). No wonder it seemed tiny, the roll-out bed took all most of the floor space! We paid and booked for the Deluxe Room, with twin beds so we did not need to have a roll out bed and of course for the space.
- No Milk, cookies and/or teddy bears and colouring books for our little one :(
- The shower had a drainage problem, it flooded the whole floor and the clothes that were left on there got wet. This was adressed to housekeeping but it was never fixed.
- The whole place felt uncomfortable. Fake smiles and felt you were judged. Especially by the pool, employees looking at us very suspiciously the whole time.

On the plus side - loved the breakfast buffet! this was included in our stay.

So unless your normal attire of clothing is a suit, jacket, tie, expensive jewellery and clothes ( in other words looking 'rich')... this is the place for you. And then you will be treated like royalty. And oh we were foreigners ( American ) so it was not a Filipino/White people discrimination.

Will be staying elsewhere next time we are in Manila. BTW, we can afford a more expensive hotel than this.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed in the Peninsula for one night because we were taking our twin girls to an event in the hotel with us. Looking at the website, I didn't expect much because there didn't seem to be an open pool area for the kids to hang out in, or a play place for toddlers.
I was really surprised when we arrived because first of all, the hotel staff were great with the kids, starting with the guard when we got down from the car.
We didn't request for play pens, but since they knew we had kids with us, they were set up in the room already when we got there. The girls loved them, there were even bear duvets. There might not have been a place to play but they loved the spacious rooms. They were running around as soon as were entered the room, they also loved staring at the lobby ceiling and watching the musicians.
Aica from reception asked if our kids could have cookies and milk when she brought us up to our room, and when we said yes, they sent strawberry milk and oatmeal cookies right away. We also ordered from the kids menu and the girls loved every single thing we ordered.
We checked out today and right before checking out, they brought Peninsula teddy bears to our room. One for each daughter!
Nice spacious rooms, excellent food, and staff that really make every effort to make you feel welcome.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Dont even hesitate to stay here. Rooms are very clean, bed are comfortable and the food is outstanding. I visit 3-4 times a year staying for a week or more. The consistency of the room cleanliness is comforting after traveling half way around the world. There are several restaurants including the lobby (which is amazing for visiting, eating and business!). NIght club and late night bar on site along with casual and upscale dining. However, I like to sit at the pool and eat in the cabana. Friday they do bbq (well not like texas but OK).

You just cant go wrong with this selection as you Manila hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Limay, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

looking at the hotel, everything is very nice. my favorite part is the staircase leading to the lobby. it's very romantic. anyway, rooms are spacious, not very new, just well-maintained. they have strict security as well. Delicious buffet breakfast of any Cuisine... if you like Chinese, American, Japanese, Filipino --- name it, they have it! Custom-made omelet/ pancake was my favorite.. the downside however, is the difference in treatment of foreign and local customers. They are more welcoming, more caring, and more concerned of their white guests than those of the brown guests. i don't know, is it colonial mentality at its finest? or is this hotel really just intended for the foreigners...? i don't know. Still i'm damned proud to be Filipino.

Room Tip: don't wear your pajamas when you go out of your room. don't get lost riding on their elevat...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank KRDL
Millers Point
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 5 nights ..loved the hotel staff extras but for the first time in 30 years I got scammed twice ...first time was the Friday night food market in the park near the shangri la .. The scam was .. Hi remember me was on the door when you arrived at peninsula ..knew at this stage I was alone extra walked me around market showed me the food and guess what it was his daughters 4 th birthday and hotel not giving him time off extra .. Needed birthday cake extra .. Then it came can u lend mr 1500 till tomorrow I am short.. Mug me gave it too him cause I had just changed some au $ and had more than I usually carrier ..my wife when she arrived said this is classic scam on lonely planet .. Next was I went on Saturday night to greehills and got into a taxi which was dropping off .. Got round the corner he said $50 to green hills and covered his meter I had been earlier knew it around 140 p trip anyway thought. I get 150 out of wallet and have ready for quick escape .. Guess what bad light no glasses I got a 500 note instead of 100 .. Realized as I gave it to him ... No way he give back .. Anyway hotel is so good it records for you the rego number of taxi so I was able to tell my story to the taxi board.. Lesson here guests get a taxi off the rank of the hotel .. We found July 63 yr old driver who looked after us for 2 days on a rate of $350 hour .. Great and knows all about Manila.. Anyway as I said peninsulas great but the stories of Manila are true lol

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Sekip
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is a great hotel - service, rooms, facilities & food are all great. The hotel is centrally located & several malls are walking distance from the hotel. I have stayed in the hotel 3 times & will continue to stay/recommend the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business