“Ok stay, friendly staff”

Ranked #4 of 82 Hotels in Makati
Sydney, Australia
“Ok stay, friendly staff”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Spent one night for a work trip.

I usually stay at the Mandarin, but as the company rates were similar, I have decided to give it a go.
The entrance is huge and carries a big WOW factor (for the size). Having all the christmas decoration set up added some charm.
As one could expect, the staff is really friendly. Check in/out/taxi booking operations were completed promply and with a large smile.

Room was large enough for me and well appointed. It is nice, but.... just nice.
Bathroom was fine with separate bath tub and shower.

View from the 3rd floor was ok.

The breakfast offers too many choices and it is difficult to try everything.

So, how does it rate versus the Mandarin? I would say the same with a little advantage to the Pen as closer to Greenbelt Mall.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank axelgfrsyd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012

The Peninsula is famous for a having a tank driven through the lobby in one of the more recent Coups in the Philipines! The lobby is big enough for about 20 tanks! It housed a massive christmas tree and lfe size gingerbread house when I was there.

First the trip from the airport - Be aware you have to cross a road from the the terminal into a "lounge" dedicated to the Peninsula, this could be a bit un nerving for some visitors, everyone is quite friendly and wants to help but it can feel a little overwhealming.

The rooms are spacious and clean and well appointed with seperate bath and shower, also plenty of cold bottled water and toiletries.

The beds are big and comfy and I slept well.

The breakfast was great, a lot of choice unforetunately I never had chance to sample the eggs as the queue was always too long but the cooked tomotoes were amazing, lots of variety to cater for an international pan Asian clientelle from sushi to fried rice to bacon and eggs!

The Spices restaurant was good too with a great selection of food from India to malaysia to thai to traditional filipino.

The down side was I needed to move rooms due to an over enthusiastic singer in the mall opposite my room, as I had booked a "garden room" I thought I was at the back, however I wasnt! I also had a letter welcoming me to the hotel however it was addressed to someone else! It took a while for the reception to answer the call and the duty manager was less than apologetic! The floor I was on (5) did smell of smoke as did the rooms but not enough to warrant a complaint and could be due to the general Manilla air which is less than pure! they had located a potable air con/filter in the hall which was buzzing away for a few days to clear up the air.

Staff were all polite and welcoming and were all accomodating. Check out took a while as the desk is quite small and only had 2 people on which is odd for such a massive hotel.

Its a nice hotel and good location but not any more special than the Duset Thani I have stayed in before.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the gardens not the main road
2 Thank S8C11
JosephArias, The Peninsula Manila at The Peninsula Manila, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear S8C11,

Thank you for the positive review and concerns that you've raised during your recent stay with us. They will be addressed immediately. We apologize for your unpleasant experiences and hope that you will still give us another chance to serve you in your future visits to Manila. If there is anything that we can do for you at this point, please do get in touch with me through my e-mail: josepharias@peninsula.com.

Joseph Arias
E-Commerce Manager
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 30, 2012

so i stayed ehre for 3 nights, just last week. went there becuase had a fab promo from AmEx that you pay 2 nights and get 1 free. and some other freebies. so all in all if I had another promo woudl likely choose it again. If not then this is not my choice, the ascott is betetr for me.
for the kind of rate that this hotel charges you expect nothign but the best and more. In that respect it falls short. being so expensive and one of the best the std. is obviously high. But then you really don't ge tthe awe inspiring feeling. The service is nice. the breakfast is a let down for me atleast. Not that good a spread. Expecially if you want some vegetarian stuff.
The room is nice and spacious. Clean. But again for the amount you are charges there is nothing special. I really hated the television. Seems the hotel is still on analog rather than digital. Poor quality.
Also I had a poor sleep on the bed. Maybe its just my problem. But then I have had better at other places.
Location wise its right in the middle of biggest traffic jams you see in manila. for a 10km ride it took me about 1 hr 45 minutes. Damn painful.
I was supposed to have a "garden view" room. Well the view is just some shrubs, pots and myriad of tall trees. where was the garden.
For me there should be nothing below "EXCELLENT" for these hotels. And sadly this one just did not deliver to that level.

2 Thank amitjain1512
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Spent over a month here in 2007, and absolutely loved it. Perfect service and all the luxury you could wish for from a 5-star hotel. Very nice spa and great breakfast. Only one issue, during the stay some money disappeared from the room, it had been lying on the desk table. When the management was alerted they did not really take action which was quite frustrating. Fortunately it was just a small amount, but not what you want obviously. Other than that, the stay was absolutely perfect.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank VincentUG
Paris, France
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Manila pen is like home to my family and I.Each year we stay at the Pen during the festive month of december.The lobby is magical,service is top notch and everyone is just great.Everywhere we go they know our names and nothing is too small to ask.We usually stay at the Premier Suite and take the club floor amenities as well.
I think the common areas like the hallways and rooms have to be upgraded .I was told that the suites were already redone but seems so old.I stay at the pen because of the service and it really is home to me,although I find that the rooms are a bit pricey considering they need a facelift badly.Sure there are far better looking hotels but I think that The Manila Pen has become the grand place to be and be seen.The Lobby for light meals,the buffet at the Escolta,The wonderful music and drinks at the Salon De Ning .I love coming home to the orchestra every evening.Nothing beats the Manila Pen!

Room Tip: do not bother taking cabs the traffic is way too bad just cross the street and you are at the shoppi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank globalspoon
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed November 27, 2012

For The Peninsula, the saying you can't teach old dogs new tricks is not applicable. The hotel has been an icon and continue to be the place to see and be seen. Accommodation is great, rooms are exceptional, service is top notch. The staff were great just make a request and they'll find a way. During my last stay I left my iPad in our room when we checked, I called concierge and was advised it was already kept in their storage area completely wrapped to prevent any damage or loss.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jatv
Rome, Italy
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This was our fourth time to the Peninsula and we were dissapointed, very dissapointed. We were offered an upgrade to a suite from our normal reservation, so for fun we accepted to pay the discounted difference. We had a The Club suite in one of our prior visits and it was more elegant and functional. Imagine that one of the bath robes had a huge hole under the arm (hard not to see), the laundry service due to be "within 6pm" was finally delivered at 8pm after calls. The hotel is old fashioned - in the sense needing refurbishing - and NOT what it used to be. Breakfast at the Club Lounge was mediocre and the next day we had it at the regular buffet (better). The staff is ok, some are friendly, but not all.
Next time we will pass. Too bad.

Room Tip: far from elevators
2 Thank Romanbiker
JosephArias, The Peninsula Manila at The Peninsula Manila, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Romanbiker,

We apologize for being unable to meet your expectations during your recent stay with us. Rest assured that the concerns that you've raised will be addressed immediately. Thank you for bringing these to our attention and we hope that you will give us another chance to be of service to you again on your future visits to Manila. If there is anything that we can do for you at this point, please e-mail me at: josepharias@peninsula.com.

Yours sincerely,