“Beautiful hotel, great service”

The Peninsula Manila
Ranked #6 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Enjoyed staying at this hotel. Beautiful lobby and pool. Fitness center very well equipped. Food either at restaurants or room service was delicious. The rooms had nothing to fault except they are a bit old now. Compared to other hotels in Makati (ie Shangrila) much better value.

Room Tip: Pool view is better so that you are not facing the road.
1  Thank sxjc
There are newer reviews for The Peninsula Manila

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I don't usually stay in this hotel when I am in Manila but because of a special package courtesy of my business partner here I had to. I booked the airport transfer. Upon arrival unlike all other hotels in other cities you have to find your way to the Peninsula Hotel's office, across the road after arrival.

The journey was smooth and the lady that chaffeaured me was pleasant and kept explaning to me the route she was taking, etc.

Upon arrival the hotel was not what I expected. I am a platinum member of both SPG and Priority so used to 5 star service. When I tried to check in, I was made waiting as the lady at Reception told me that they are fully booked the previous night, even though I already emailed the hotel my ETA. There were no apologies for keeping me waiting while she took ages to look for my room.

To cut a long story short, I was eventually 'found' a room but not one I requested. I got 2 single bed rather than a king size bed. And the room was located facing the main road which was noisy to say the least, but there were road works every morning!!

This hotel hasn't got the charm or personality of the Peninsula brand name in other cities. There are people dining on the right and left of the main entrance before the Reception, lots of people congregrating by the entrance, and out of the 3 doors, only one is working, so everyone clamouring to use that as entrance and exit! Then there are the conference halls to the left of the main entrance used by the public and again lots of people about. To make it worst, there is the upper lobby again with more people using that as a place to eat/mingle and a band playing there. So the whole atmosphere is like a night market. I don't feel comfortable and there is no where for hotel guests to sit and relax! The only place is my room as as soon as I arrived I just want to get out!

I had some clothes laundered and later was left a card under my door as I had my DO NOT DISTURB sign on. After 2 days later, I would have thought they will attempt my laundry, but no I had to call to ask for them!

There is a bar, a buffet restaurant (really?!)and a Asian restaurant (food is OK). There seems to be a lot of non hotel guests lingering around the hotel. I was having my dinner on my own in a quiet corner when suddenly an older foreigner and his young local date started to sit next to me and over each other. I suppose this is something the hotel cannot control but it put me right off my dinner and the whole ambience of the place.

The pool is quite secluded and the only quiet oasis in the whole hotel. I particularly like the gym and sauna/steam room.

Some of the staff are really friendly but overall nothing spectacular which makes me want to come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the other wing, away from the main road
2  Thank R L
JosephArias, The Peninsula Manila at The Peninsula Manila, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear RL,

We regret that we were unable to meet your expectations during your recent stay with us. We are currently investigating on the service lapses and concerns that you have raised and will address them immediately. Thank you for bringing them to our attention and we hope that you would still give us another chance to serve you in the future.

Yours sincerely,
Joseph Arias
E-Commerce Manager
The Peninsula Manila

Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Must admit that I'm biased as the Peninsula Tokyo has set such a high bar that Peninsula Manila pales in comparison. On the plus side, Peninsula Manila is centrally located with easy access to a major shopping mall. It's about 5-10 mins walk away or guests could just take the regular shuttle service. The service staff that I've encountered were fairly efficient and polite. On the second visit to this hotel, I was pleasantly surprised by the enhanced security as the lifts are now accessible to only hotel guests on the hotel floors.

The cons side: Exterior of the hotel is very grey and drab. Room size was much smaller than Peninsula Tokyo and the room decor was very dated. Technology was average. Wifi connection was intermittent. In fairness, I didn't try all the restaurants. But what I tried (hotel lobby and the breakfast dining restaurant) was average in terms of the food quality.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank adelme
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Excellent quality of food, room and service. Although I found the service a little over the top. My colleague was asked 8 times within half an hour if his coffee was acceptable. It was. He had to say so 8 times. :)

We had some difficulty in negotiating an extra half day stay due to our flight leaving late. We were willing to pay for it but couldn't seem to communicate that. Once they understood we were not trying to stay for free, it was OK. However the curt note under the door at 10pm was unpleasant.

1  Thank StephanieKrishnan
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Yet another great stay at Manila Pen. How hotels should be in my opinion - great service and quality throughout. Wonderful Xmas displays. Always enjoy spending time at The Bar and going for a swim at the pool, which is in a relaxing oasis amongst the cacophony of sound and movement outside.

1  Thank Stak66
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Arrival at this property was done smoothly. Check in was done in the room so the time spent at reception was minimal. Although getting someone to take notice at the beginning took some time. But it was not a big deal.

The rooms are spacious. I do know that the Peninsula has refurbished some floors in the past few years but like all the other hotels I've stayed in, the rooms' finish are haphazard. The daily turndown service was done rapidly and sometimes bath and hand towels are not replaced. But it's very easy to ask for these.

The gym and the pool are very well maintained and the staff are unbelievably friendly.

There was free bottled water so there is no reason to be drinking water from the tap. It is the Philippines after all and you don't want be taking your chances on gastro during a holiday.

Free WiFi was available throughout the hotel but each area will require you to log in with the same username and password.

Was not able to enjoy any of the restaurants in the hotel though I have dined at Spices years ago and the food is very good.

The only drawback is that one has to cross the lobby to get to your rooms. Though walking in a bathrobe does not faze me, I pity the person who has to walk through the length of the expansive lobby to get to the other wing of the hotel.

This is certainly a business hotel with executives dotting the tables at the lobby.

Cocktails from the bar across Salon de Ning are well made even if the alcohol is a bit shy. It's also the only indoor smoking venue.

This is definitely an excellent hotel and will not hesitate staying here in the future and recommending it to others.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlpineRelief
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Very comfortable and busy hotel in Makati, Manila. Excellent location for business purposes, short distance from airport?
Popular and busy lobby, with lots of events taking place the whole week, which sometimes makes your business routines a bit complicated and challenging. Lots of people in the lobby. Very busy also during weekend as local people populated the different facilities such swimming pool, spa and fitness, as well as different restaurants and bars.
Very good spa and fitness center.
Excellent service with some exceptions, mainly during breakfast time due to the amount of people concentrated in a short period of time in the same location.
I have enjoyed this week.

Room Tip: Choose garden side
1  Thank Fenoswiss