“Exquisite” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 82 Hotels in Makati
Bangalore
“Exquisite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights recently and was impressed.

The hotel is located close to the Glorietta Malls, but the entrance does not face the main road. Instead, it is situated at the back. There is a good reason for this... the main lobby does not face the dusty and noisy traffic of ayala ave.

The moment you step into the lobby, you are taken back in time. The ambience of the lobby is something else and hard to describe. Yes, its grand and beautiful, but there is something captivating about it, especially in the evening with the dim lights and the musicians serenading you from the balcony above.

Check in was quick and efficient and the girl at the reception took me to my room on the 8th floor and explained its amenities. How many hotels do that?

The room wasn't the largest I've stayed in, but was clean and nice. The bathroom had a separate cubicle for the shower and toilet, as well as a tub. You have controls to pipe music from the TV into the bathroom while you're in there. Nice! The rooms are very quiet with no sounds being transmitted in from the other rooms. Yes, there is complimentary high speed wifi.

The most outstanding feature during my stay was the housekeeping. My compliments to them. They were not seen or heard during my stay and rooms were made up promptly. Every time I stepped out in the morning, I would press the 'service room' button and the room would be cleaned up within an hour. This was done consistently. The bed turn down was also done every evening. Fresh fruits were replaced every day.

Breakfast was a nice spread every morning, but I did notice that some of the dishes were consistently the same every day. Perhaps some variety here would help. I ordered room service for dinner one night and the burger was excellent.

Security is tight at this hotel and everyone going through is screened. This is something you would expect and want.

The only blot happened when I was checking out. I was given a bill that had several items consumed from the minibar ( which I did not ). I pointed this out to the receptionist and this was promptly changed. I wonder why this happened and wished it hadn't.

In summary, this is the kind of hotel that you can't go on with. I don't care that the hotel is 35 years old, because it is run extremely well. This is the kind of hotel that makes memories for you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank dr_amjad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

Manila offers you the complete contrast with hotels of such a luxury they are difficult to match for the average traveller and business man, whilst nestling 5 minutes from them one can find poverty of a degree very rarely seen elsewhere.
The Peninsula oozes class, from the moment you check in with the very elegant staff, the room providing all the possible features you'd expect and maybe some you wouldn;t, and then there's breakfast. The breakfast in itself is enough to make me want to return.
The "lobby",and the word doesn't do justice to this area, is graced with gentle relaxing music in the evening courtesy of a local small orchestral group.
I have nothing I can comment negatively on, this is a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Geneva
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

I just stayed there for one night before heading back to Europe and I have seen such cleanliness. The service quality excellent.

You have security at the entrance of the hotel.
Your room is arranged before the night and at the restaurant your napkin table is folded every time you leave your table going to the buffet (which I must say is a little too much for me but if you are looking for luxury services that's the place to be!!). The bathroom has a shower separated from a bathtub and you can listen to the radio while doing what you have to do. The view from the room is great : the Urdaneta Village with the "skyscrapers" in the background.

There are 3 restaurants, one from the hotel where you eat in the Lobby, an Indian and a another called Escolta which serves several different dishes: Japanese, Continental, Filipino and American. The rates are quite expensive for the Philippines but the breakfast buffet is gorgeous !

The Spa services are wonderful, the locker room contains showers, sauna and hammam. There's a fitness room and an exterior pool as well.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank S C
Woodland, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

When I first arrived the guards came out with the metal detectors and dogs sniffing everything. Once you pass that and get out of the car the dogs are sniffing your luggage and trunk, then you are stopped before you enter and more guards. By the time I got in, I felt like I was going to the White House. Obviously, these precautions are needed but a bit overwhelming.
The room was just average, like a hyatt, nothing special but the phone in the bathroom was broken and kept dropping on my foot, and the toilet paper holder was also broken.
I had just arrived from Los Angeles and when I went to check in they were asking if I wanted to upgrade to a suite from my premier deluxe room. I was just on a plane for over 17 hours and was staying not even 12 since I couldn't connect to Amanpulo that night. I really don't want to be given the hard sell after such a long journey, just give me my room and let me go to sleep. It is a big hotel, nothing like the Peninsula in Beverly Hills but it must be a big business hotel, lobby was so crowded. All in all, just average.

Room Tip: The premier deluxe is your basic room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank 4halex
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

The lobby is gorgeously striking-- the Peninsula Hotel brand knows how to make an amazing first impression. This was my first trip to Manila, and I loved it. My husband had lived in the area when he was younger, and the hotel brought back great memories--the lobby had not changed much at all in 20 years! The rooms are very spacious, although perhaps a bit traditional or business-like. Our room was on the exact opposite wing of the hotel from the pool, which makes for kind of an awkward/long walk across the hotel to the pool, but for me it was worth it. The pool is large, and very refreshing. The breakfast buffet (which was included in our room price) was the most amazing (and also ridiculous) spread that I have ever seen--everything from fresh Sushi, to the standard breakfast items, Filipino dishes, and lots of fresh fruit. As this was my first time to Manila, I did not understand that Makati is the business district, and there are a lot of skyscrapers around, but also a lot of malls--within walking distance from the hotel. Given that it is in the business district, they are very strict on security at the hotel, and it felt very safe. When we go back to the Philippines, this is definitely where I want to stay again.

Room Tip: if you want to use the pool, you might want to ask for a room on the same wing as the pool
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelrabbit2003
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

The most impressive aspect of the Peninsula Manila is the huge lobby. The size, the appearance, the restaurant and the entertainment make this one of the top places to see and be seen in Manila. Our room was nice though not of the same caliber as other rooms I have stayed at in other Peninsula Hotels. One area in need of improvement is the drinking water situation. We were advised by hotel staff not to drink the tap water yet the Peninsula gave us only one 500 ml bottle of drinking water per day. This is both not enough water to last a day nor is it environmentally responsible. One can only imagine how many plastic bottles are used every day in this very large hotel. The next hotel we stayed at in the Philippines had a large container of filtered water in each room that was replenished each day by the staff. This is a much better policy for the environment. All in all the Peninsula Manila is a good hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank packedandready2go
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

Spent New Years here with my whole family and I must say that the staff of Manila Pen is one of the best in the Philippines. I own a Peninsula card and some privileges come with it. Whether staying in the hotel or just simply dinning, I cannot say anything bad. Service has been consistently good.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family