“Excellent in every way”

Makati Shangri-La Manila
Ranked #11 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I will start from praising this wonderful hotel. On arrival, I never felt as safe and relax before. Guard dogs and the guards are constantly checking on suspicious cars and people. And upon entering the main lobby, the aroma fragrance immediately wake me up.

Checking in was hassle free and the staffs helped me out to the room. Every staff personnel very helpful and friendly. Room was very well decorated and spacious. Only bad note was that the pillow were too soft but I was too tired the trip to ask for a change.

Had a dinner function in the function room and the food was excellent. Breakfast next morning was even marvelous with great selection. Nearby to shopping area.

Indeed a nice hotel and definitely a 5***. Would definitely come back to this hotel the next trip

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,788)

Reviewed April 12, 2010

My family and I stayed in Manila for a couple of nights before our trip to Bicol and I have to say, we will be making this our Manila hotel from here on out. The staff was extremely courteous all the way from the front desk folks to the property security guards. The rooms were comfortable and the food and drinks were great. This is a very impressive hotel and the location is right across the street from the Glorietta shopping mall and the restaurants that surround it.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank GrandPinoy
Reviewed April 7, 2010

The entrance to the hotel is very impressive with a lovely staircase which takes you up to the second floor, hence the lobby area is fairly large. Check-in was quick and efficient and i was soon taken to my room. The room was well maintained, nice decoration, but a little bit generic - it was a good sized room. The room service was good and prompt and prices were realistic for this type of hotel. The location is very good, its a quick walk to the shopping malls and is basically in the heart of Makati. The buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner were all outstanding with a wide choice of high quality produced food. I also tried the other restaurants and bar, all which were very good, nice service and good quality food. The swimming pool was quite nice, although for me there were too many children in the pool, the gym facilities were also good. I used the spa a few times, and although relatively expensive, i enjoyed the experience. I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank s_pearceHoChiMinh
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Stayed here with my 2 young children and extended family for a few days before moving up to Tarlac city...was like Paradise kids loved it, staff could not do enough for all of us,restaurant was amazing with huge selection...kids still ask when we can go back to Shangri-la!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank emcha
Reviewed March 25, 2010

I stayed at the Makati Shangri-La for two nights on business. We were told by our local colleagues that this would be the nicest hotel of the entire 3-week trip, and that advice was spot on. This is the only hotel at which I have stayed that I would truly call a 5-star property.

Without going into the issues of crime and terrorism that are problems in the Philippines, suffice it to say that we determined before arriving that we would spend practically our entire visit in our hotel. That turned out to be a great decision, because this was an excellent place to spend a couple of days.

The service was impeccable. Every single employee was friendly, and to my practiced eye this was a sincere friendliness and not just the practiced nod and smile of the service industry. And, while the service was good it wasn't expensive -- I paid less for laundry at the Shangri-La than at any of the other 3 hotels at which I needed to get clothes cleaned on this extended trip.

The facilities are outstanding. This hotel has the best-equipped hotel fitness center I have ever seen. The pool is a full 25 meters with a deep end into which you can actually dive (and the poolside bar makes a mean mango daiquiri!). The restaurants were top notch: the breakfast buffet really stood our for the scope and quality of its offerings, and the "Red" restaurant was excellent as well for dinner. And again, the prices were better than what we had seen at lesser hotels in more expensive cities.

I had never stayed at a Shangri-La property before, so I don't know if this was an exceptional example or whether all their hotels are this good. But, you can bet I'll stay at a Shangri-La again just to find out.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Delegator
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Awesome Hotel!! Arrived and stayed 3 nights and 4 days! It was really a great time! Food is good and service is good. It's was my first time in manila (Philippines) and it was a great place to break in coming from America I had to slowly adjust into the culture. But it's really good.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Journeys4life
Reviewed March 16, 2010

We stayed at this property in Feb 2010. We arrived at around 130pm to check-in at 2pm. Our room was not ready so the front desk told us to come back at 2:45pm... We were a little disappointed because we had young children with us that were getting restless. We decided to grab something to eat at their lobby lounge which was beautiful. The food and service was also good. After we ate, our room was available. We had a great view of the shopping area and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was large except the double doors didn't close completely (definitely needed some adjustment). We ate dinner at the Japanese restaurant located at the hotel - not the best sushi I've had, but the service and food was still good. The kids swam at the pool which was not crowded in the evening, however was also not warm, so it was a short swim. The breakfast buffet was a big spread and definitely cannot be missed. Overall, the biggest reason to stay at this hotel is its location. The Greenbelt shopping area is across the sky bridge (5 minute walk), and there are PLENTY of other good restaurants and shopping to be had within a 5-10 walking distance from the hotel!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family