3,053 results
All reviews horizon club shang palace lobby lounge breakfast buffet health club business trip excellent hotel rooms are spacious business district five star hotel business hotel green belt makati area glorietta mall mango circle sage
Reviewed June 29, 2015 via mobile

I had a business-related stay in Makati Shangrila. Years ago, me and family are occasionally visiting Makati Shangrila to unwind. To my surprise, they have leveled up their choices in food and hotel staff have been more attentive and friendly.

Deluxe room is good if you'll only stay overnight. If you want to fully-experience the place, it's best to avail hotel promos at Agoda to lengthen your hotel stay with a cheaper price.

P.S I might book 2 nights for me to blog about this hotel! ❤️

Date of stay: December 2014
Trip type: Traveled on business
Alain B, General Manager at Makati Shangri-La, Manila, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2015

Dear Rikx

Thank you for your excellent and detailed feedback. It’s good to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially how the team was extremely helpful and attentive to your needs. I will definitely share your comments with them.

I look forward to welcoming you on your next stay at Makati Shangri-La.

Area Manager/General Manager

Reviewed June 29, 2015

As the hotel was full and I needed an early check- in, I was seduced by the suite upgrade which worked well. Then I added another room for the weekend at a discount rate which was very reasonable.
The suite was almost double the size of the regular room with an anteroom to receive visitors. The view of the Ayala Avenue- Makati Avenue intersection from the suite is probably worth the upgrade. The suite also provided an additional complimentary breakfast plus access to the Horizon Club lounge upstairs in the 24th floor, with access to meeting rooms (two with a view) which are superior to the meeting rooms in the Business Center.
We did not avail of the free breakfast at the lounge as the buffet spread downstairs at Circles Event offered more which was as always excellent.
Maybe the only disagreeable note is the TV in the main bedroom; the second TV in the anteroom was good.

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Dear Deogracias M

Thank you for your good review and sharing your observations during your stay with us. I have taken note of your comments, especially about the TV in the main bedroom. I truly appreciate you bringing this to my attention, as this gives us the opportunity to improve and excel in delighting the most discerning guests like you. I hope to have the chance to welcome you in the hotel on your next business trip to the Philippines.

Area Manager/General Manager

Reviewed June 27, 2015

I have stayed at this hotel many times and it's always a great experience. Staff are very attentive throughout the hotel, food is great, management always give their attention to guests and address any issue raised, no matter how minor.

Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Alain B, General Manager at Makati Shangri-La, Manila, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2015

Dear spiv005

Thank you for your excellent comment. I will definitely share your kind words with my team.
I look forward to welcoming you on your next business trip to Makati Shangri-La, Manila.

Reviewed June 27, 2015 via mobile

I spent 11 nights at this property and have nothing by accolades.

The room was spotless, well appointed and very comfortable. The black out curtains are really black out curtains.

They ask you what the best time to clean your room is and keep the schedule to accommodate the various schedules of the city.

Each day they provided fresh fruit in the room as well as at least 3 bottles of water.

The laundry service was timely and perfect allowing you to bring less clothes on a long stay.

If I had one criticism it would be the hotel buffet. They options are tremendous and everything they serve is amazing. If your trying to watch what you eat skip this.

The hotel bar was a nice surprise with the Philippines national cocktail champion mixing drinks. If you like cocktails then this is must stop.

When in Makati I highly recommend this a base.

Date of stay: February 2015
Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear Rcarlson67

Thank you for your detailed comments. Great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had the chance to try our restaurants and bar.

I look forward to welcoming you on your next stay at Makati Shangri-La.

Reviewed June 26, 2015

I am a loyal Shangri-La guest, learning first from the Wuhan, China hotel. I've stayed in Makati Shangri-La quite a few times. My recent visit was marred by an ugly incident at checkout. I questioned a transportation charge that I knew was approx 1500 pesos but was billed as 3000 pesos. The night before checkout, Harold in Horizon told me over the phone that the charge would be 1500 and no need to come down to sign for it. I did anyway, and clearly remembered signing the page with about 1500 PHP on it. So I told the clerk at the Horizon Club that my bill was wrong and cited my two pieces of evidence. Of course, the burden of proof was on the loyal guest and I had to wait for 20 minutes for someone to get that piece of paper I'd signed. That was insulting: the clerk should have been trained in common courtesy and common sense: Does Makati Shangri-La assume that a repeat guest in the Executive Horizon floor with bill of 60,000 pesos is going to lie for 1500 pesos, and then put me on trial in public for that?

I had arrived for checkout at 10:30 informing everyone that my driver would be there at 11:00. The incident made me late for my ride. And unlike Makati Shangri-La, I do honor my appointments and consider my time valuable. Finally, when the signed receipt was delivered to the Horizon clerk, she was "embarrassed" and sorry and apologetic about calling me a liar in public and making me late.
At that point, the Horizon Manager, Stephanie Santos informed me that she had been "monitoring" my conversation with the clerk (whose name I did not get because I was so angry about being detained by this silly process). They corrected my bill and I had to wait more time to get checkout complete. Ms Santos was even more FURTHER sorry and more VEHEMENTLY APOLOGIZED and acknowledged their embarrassment. But they showed no concern for MY EMBARRASSMENT. Ms Santos promised they would "make this up to me" next visit, and I informed them that there would be no next visit. I don't need this kind of treatment from a hotel of any rating.

A proper and satisfying response would have been to immediately accept my two lines of evidence and correct the bill. End of story. But, since Makati Shangri-La staff default position is that the guest is always trying to cheat the hotel, they wasted my time and put me on public trial. A balanced and satisfying response, would have been: once they saw the signed document with 1590 peso charge, they should have immediately and publicly announced their embarrassing "mistake" and said: there will be NO CHARGE for this service and for the last day of your stay! But Horizon Club staff are not empowered to do those kind of sensible things.

First mistake was that Makati Horizon staff got caught. Second mistake was to shift blame to guest. Third mistake was to not offer any compensation on the spot the guest.
Ms Santos followed me downstair to help me to find my driver (he had to move out of the immediate area). She again offered to make it up to me. An hour or so later, while in the car riding to my next venue, I called and talked again to Ms Santos. I was still very angry. She again offered to "make it up" on my next stay, which would have been in a few days.

After I posted this complaint on the Shangri-La review site, I was emailed by Mr. Nicholas Chammaa, Residence Manager. He did not deny the substance of my complaint but apologized for faulty communication from his staff to me as .
“explanation” in his email.
"Please allow me to explain, on the day of your departure the charges communicated and acknowledged by you, were adequate to drop you off at SM Fairview, the additional charges that were posted, was for the trip to drop off your companion to Bulacan and thus the extra fare. This should have been communicated to you clearly beforehand and no additional charges should have been placed on your final bill before your approval, obviously this was not the case and for that I am truly sorry…."

In fact, there was very clear communication as my memory of what Horizon staff member Harold told me and my memory of going to the Hotel transportation desk WITH MY FRIEND at my side, when I signed for the TRIP TO BULACAN. This was indeed confirmed by the paper receipt. Mr Chammaa obfuscates, maintaining that that slip of paper was for transport to SM shopping center. I NEVER use hotel transportation to go to a local shopping center to which I can walk in 15 minutes!

The result is that I doubt I will return to an outrageously priced Makati Shangri-La that does not respect one of their best and most-loyal guests. I do not need the abuse and the work required by their policy service and weak empowerment of Executive Horizon Club staff.

I'd already posted a very positive review for Makati Shangri-La a year or so ago. I am now forced to update that report. In all my years of travel, I've never had that kind of experience and do not want anyone else to have it.

By the way, I am right now staying in Shangri-La, Wuhan China. Makati Shangri-La should send staff to Wuhan Shangri-La for training in what constitute good service.

Room tip: Check your bill as all mistakes are assumed to be fault of guest; allow over half-hour for checkout at Horizon Desk.
Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank Joe L

Dear Joe L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding a disappointing incident in Makati Shangri-La.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced as a result of the hotel staff's shortcomings in handling your statement upon departure.

We have discussed your comments with the concerned department and everyone feels very sorry and concerned that you have taken a bad impression of us.

We hope you will accept our sincere apologies, as earlier expressed by our Resident Manager, Nicolas Chammaa, and the Horizon Lounge management and staff.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Makati Shangri-La and allowing us to delight you.

Kind regards,