“Fantastic Staff and Hospitality”

Makati Shangri-La Manila
Ranked #11 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My stay at Hotel Shangri La was an amazing experience right from the time of check in which was personalized directly at my room by M/s Jiah, who helped me throughout the stay guiding where to go, what to eat and what to do etc in Manila. Purpose of my trip was business and I took my wife along. Service was outstanding at the Hotel, and even the staff at breakfast "never said no" for anything which is very rare these days. I'd like to mention some names like Bryan at the egg counter, the Indian interim chef - Abhinandan Singh, and everyone were always smiling and that was really awesome. When I requested for some additional buns and doughnuts to carry for lunch as I am a vegetarian, they smiled and packed for me which again got them brownie points. Overall, a fabulous 1 week courtesy the staff, luxury, and the location of the hotel, which is a stones throw from about 12 malls in Makati. Don't even think of staying anywhere else. If it's Manila, it is Shangri La.

Room Tip: Chose a high floor room, views are nice
1  Thank Arun K
Alain B, General Manager at Makati Shangri-La Manila, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear Akingerr,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our vegetarian selections at Circles. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to Jaiah, Bryan and Chef Singh. Hope you will come back to visit us again soon.

Area Manager / General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,739)

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Stayed here last weekend on a free by my company. Had a wonderful time. This hotel has a very high regard for service.

Upon check-in, we were just second in line, but this lady duty manager got up from her table beside the check in counter to attend to us. I made a reservation and check-in was a breeze. We were immediately assisted to our rooms. The room is big, bigger than usual rooms at other hotel, and spacious too. Our room has a view of the nearby mall, the hotel's swimming pool and the tennis court. The room also has a lot of sockets, which is very useful now on this gadget-driven world.

Our room comes with a free breakfast. Breakfast is from 6am-1030am. Food offered a variety of cuisines, there are Chinese, Japanese, Western, Indian, and Filipino. We tried a little of almost everything, but the choices were too many to be tried. Everything looked good and tasted good, and a lot of healthy varieties too. I like Circles (name of restaurant) more because others will just offer a variety but nothing really good to choose from.

Overall, one of the best hotels I've stayed. Staffs are polite, cheery, and hospitable. Looking forward to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cookingmasterboy

Dear Cooking Master Boy,

Thank you for your kind review. I’m happy to know you enjoyed your breakfast at Circles and that our duty manager was able to assist you with your check-in. We hope to welcome you back to Makati Shangri-La soon.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

I stayed here only one night after a trip to Bali. We had stayed at the nearby Ascott, in a two- bedroom condo-hotel, after arriving from San Francisco. I will review that hotel and the reasons why we moved to Shangrila (later). The buffet breakfast was excellent. We had dinner at the hotel twice! The staff was very professional and friendly, as well was very helpful. I checked out the pool and gym facilities -- very nice! One suggestion to the Shang-- the bathrooms were clean enough, however when I was taking a shower, I noticed streaks of mold in the shower area. I touched the wall to make sure it wasn't part of the color pattern. Please train the cleaning staff to pay more attention to this detail. Otherwise, loved the Shang!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Alain B, General Manager at Makati Shangri-La Manila, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Agnes L,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience staying at Makati Shangri-La. I would also like to thank you for bringing our attention to the bathroom incident. Please be assured we take your comments very seriously and will certainly ensure that this is rectified immediate to maintain the quality and cleanliness of our guestrooms.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

The hotel is overall excellent. The staff is polite and attentive. The rooms are comfortable and well decorated. The beddings and bed in particular are very nice. The workspace in the room is also very usable and there are plenty of outlets. The bathroom is roomy functional with good water pressure and temperature. The only issue I had over the days was an odd internet connection that was good enough for video conferences but oddly didn't seem to want to allow me to reach certain sites - not filtering because one day I couldn't each a website and the next I could.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Craig F,

I truly appreciate the feedback that you have shared here. Every detail counts and we strive to deliver the best experience to all our guests. Please allow me to apologize on behalf of the team for the irregular internet connection at the time. You may have received a letter informing you about the challenge from our service provider that was beyond our control.

Again, I thank you for letting me know about your stay and I look forward to welcome you back in the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Spend 5 days on business in Shangri La Makati and have to every aspect of the stay was up to expectation, and quite a few beyond that. To mention a few, overall friendlyness of staff, excellent selection and quality of breakfast and other restaurants and good quality chauffer service.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
1  Thank Bjarni P

Dear Bjami P,

Thank you for your kind review. I am happy to know you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcome you back to Makati Shangri-La soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Great personal service, the in-room check-in is nice. My room was the center triangle corner (yes it makes sense) this over looked the main intersection. It was noisy, the window seals old, during the night sounded like a Jeepney was in my room.
The rest of the stay was perfect.
The staff extremely helpful. Though at times the "Hello Sir Gauntlet" gets a bit over done, the staff could dial it down a bit when your walking and having a conversation with a business associate.
The Angus Burgers were the best I've had in a long time.
The Breakfast buffet is still amazing.
One of the few places left that you can find Sarsi and Sarsi Light Cola.
* I was surprised that the Shang" doesn't have overnight laundry. I arrived late Manila was in the middle of a business trip I would have liked to had my suit freshened for the next day business meeting, but couldn't.

Room Tip: Try to get a room over looking the Glorietta, by default there's less traffic and less street no...
1  Thank The Big L

Dear The Big L,

Thank you for sharing details about your recent stay with us. I’m glad you enjoyed dining with us and I have forwarded your compliments to our chefs. Thank you for pointing out the noise issue; we shall certainly look into that so we can improve the overall stay experience.

I have to say I’m a bit surprised about your feedback on the overnight laundry though, because we do have this service. Perhaps there was a bit of miscommunication about this? It would be helpful if you can send me the details on this through my email address: alain.borgers@shangri-la.com so we can check what happened.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was an impressive hotel; only thing was that the sofa chair in the living room made me feel super itchy. I stayed here with family and the bed was maaaaasssive. I slept on the (previously mentioned) sofa chair in the living room. All in all, great hotel!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank A C

Dear A C,

I’m glad the hotel made a good impression on you during your stay in Manila. We do provide an extra bed upon request. I hope you and your family had a wonderful stay in the hotel, and I look forward to having you again with us should you be in Manila again in the future.