I stayed at this great hotel for three nights in April. It began with an airport pick up (about $50). I was met in the airport reception area by a gentleman in uniform who was actively looking for me. I changed some money, and was in a hotel vehicle in minutes. Upon arrival at the hotel, I was met by a nice young girl with an I-pad, who opened my door, addressed me by name, asked about my flight, and took me straight to my room on the club level. She quickly checked me in, asked if I had any questions, left her cell number in case I had issues, and she was off.
The room was large, the king sized bed huge and comfortable. The view of Makati was great. The television was a newish flat screen and there were many choices. The bathroom had a shower and separate bath.
Breakfast on the club level was good, but not great. The choices were fine, although not overly plentiful, but the hot dishes were cooked to order. The service was great at times, and then at others I couldn't get another cup of coffee. But it was spotless, luxurious, the staff was very well dressed and super polite. It was a great way to start the day, and I am glad that I had the time to enjoy it. I lingered for awhile, and they never tried to rush me off.
I went to the gym once, and it was clean, the equipment was new, the towels were in good shape, and there were a number of buff dudes eager to help. I did not use the pool, but I checked it out and it looks nice.
The lobby is beautiful, as is the enormous lobby bar area. Aside from the ample front desk, there was a concierge ready to assist, a travel desk, and various layers of people seemingly dying to help. To elaborate a bit, upon entry, there are cute little door girls. Then, a few steps beyond, there stood a number of tall, elegantly dressed ladies with long black hair. They were stunning in their flowing skirts as they whisked across the floor. Beyond these ladies stood a number of suited gentlemen with earpieces. While it was apparent that they were security by their constant surveillance of he lobby, they were far from threatening looking, and they were always helpful.
On the other side of the door, the outside, upon entry to the hotel complex, trunks of cars are searched, cars are sniffed by bomb dogs, and a mirror is used to check under the cars. The driveways are guarded by men with machine guns, but they are impeccably dressed and super polite. They kept calling me "boss" (how was your day, boss?). At the front doors, there were a couple more guys with guns and a dog (black lab or beagle), a podium where a white gloved guy checked purses and bags, and another white gloved guy with a metal detecting wand. At no point did the security feel intimidating.
Another word about security. Manila is like New York City. In NYC, there is Manhattan, Queens, and Harlem. In Manila you have Makati, Ermita and Malate. Makati is the Manhattan of Manila. I walked around alone at all times of the day and night, and never felt even the slightest bit in danger or insecure.
In regard to location, this hotel is walking distance to many shops and restaurants of every description. I liked the Greenbelt area as it had lots of outside bars and cafes. Live music poured out of many of them. It was great, and security was tight and they absolutely profiled. If you are neat and clean, you do not get noticed. Security focused on people who looked out of place, and I was just fine with that.
Turning back to the hotel, it is on the highest end of the cost spectrum. There are cheaper options, but in Makati, not THAT much cheaper that I, personally, would forego the amazing service and location, and the well honed security.
I would come back to Makati, and this hotel, in a heartbeat. Unfortunately for me, it takes 24 hours of heartbeats for me to get there from Los Angeles.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makati Shangri-La, Manila is located at the center of Manila's most prestigious business, shopping and entertainment district. Just 20 minutes away from the international airport, this award-winning hotel offers exquisite comfort and world class luxury. From its exceptionally spacious and beautifully appointed rooms to its lavish restaurants and exciting bars, its high-speed internet access to its full-service Spa and Fitness Center, Makati Shangri-La lives up to its reputation as Manilas leading hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Makati Shangri-La Manila reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makati Shangri-La Manila Hotel Makati
- Shangri La Manila Makati
- Shangri La Makati
- Shangrila Makati
- Makati Shangri La Hotel
- Makati Shangri-La Manila Metro Manila