“You get what you pay for”

Makati Shangri-La Manila
Ranked #10 of 83 Hotels in Makati
Los Angeles, California
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed at this great hotel for three nights in April. It began with an airport pick up (about $50). I was met in the airport reception area by a gentleman in uniform who was actively looking for me. I changed some money, and was in a hotel vehicle in minutes. Upon arrival at the hotel, I was met by a nice young girl with an I-pad, who opened my door, addressed me by name, asked about my flight, and took me straight to my room on the club level. She quickly checked me in, asked if I had any questions, left her cell number in case I had issues, and she was off.

The room was large, the king sized bed huge and comfortable. The view of Makati was great. The television was a newish flat screen and there were many choices. The bathroom had a shower and separate bath.

Breakfast on the club level was good, but not great. The choices were fine, although not overly plentiful, but the hot dishes were cooked to order. The service was great at times, and then at others I couldn't get another cup of coffee. But it was spotless, luxurious, the staff was very well dressed and super polite. It was a great way to start the day, and I am glad that I had the time to enjoy it. I lingered for awhile, and they never tried to rush me off.

I went to the gym once, and it was clean, the equipment was new, the towels were in good shape, and there were a number of buff dudes eager to help. I did not use the pool, but I checked it out and it looks nice.

The lobby is beautiful, as is the enormous lobby bar area. Aside from the ample front desk, there was a concierge ready to assist, a travel desk, and various layers of people seemingly dying to help. To elaborate a bit, upon entry, there are cute little door girls. Then, a few steps beyond, there stood a number of tall, elegantly dressed ladies with long black hair. They were stunning in their flowing skirts as they whisked across the floor. Beyond these ladies stood a number of suited gentlemen with earpieces. While it was apparent that they were security by their constant surveillance of he lobby, they were far from threatening looking, and they were always helpful.

On the other side of the door, the outside, upon entry to the hotel complex, trunks of cars are searched, cars are sniffed by bomb dogs, and a mirror is used to check under the cars. The driveways are guarded by men with machine guns, but they are impeccably dressed and super polite. They kept calling me "boss" (how was your day, boss?). At the front doors, there were a couple more guys with guns and a dog (black lab or beagle), a podium where a white gloved guy checked purses and bags, and another white gloved guy with a metal detecting wand. At no point did the security feel intimidating.

Another word about security. Manila is like New York City. In NYC, there is Manhattan, Queens, and Harlem. In Manila you have Makati, Ermita and Malate. Makati is the Manhattan of Manila. I walked around alone at all times of the day and night, and never felt even the slightest bit in danger or insecure.

In regard to location, this hotel is walking distance to many shops and restaurants of every description. I liked the Greenbelt area as it had lots of outside bars and cafes. Live music poured out of many of them. It was great, and security was tight and they absolutely profiled. If you are neat and clean, you do not get noticed. Security focused on people who looked out of place, and I was just fine with that.

Turning back to the hotel, it is on the highest end of the cost spectrum. There are cheaper options, but in Makati, not THAT much cheaper that I, personally, would forego the amazing service and location, and the well honed security.

I would come back to Makati, and this hotel, in a heartbeat. Unfortunately for me, it takes 24 hours of heartbeats for me to get there from Los Angeles.

Room Tip: If you can swing it, the club level is great. Make sure and gt a city view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank bagoda1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Its in the heart of Makati. Very good location just right in front of Gloriatta and Greenbelt. Breakfast spread is huge. Also have lots of food options just outside - Hradrock, kfc, McD. The rooms are very trendy, nice decor unlike the very usual Shangrila classical look & feel. This one is much better than EDSA shangrila. Hotel is fully secured with cute friendly dogs in their bomb squad!

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors with front side view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Senthil Kumar A
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and I consider this Hotel Excellent in terms of making it guest feel safe and secure...in house security keeps on monitoring the hotel hallway... the hotel crew were hospitable and amazing.... great breakfast buffet there was a lot of selections..superb swimming pool with very respectful pool attendant. Over all excellent experience in this hotel.

Room Tip: The Hotel is in the heart of Makati Commercial Center where ever room you are in you can appreciate...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mikedennis_13
Meath
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is amazing, stayed for a business trip & couldn't of asked for more. Comfortable rooms, fantastic facilities & amazing food. Breakfast buffet is plentyful & good value open from 6am! We are in 3 of the hotels restaurants - the Shang palace Chinese is a must!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank portiabelle
Renton, Washington
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I travel. A lot. This hotel is nonpareil. It is better in all respects than any other hotel that I have stayed at. First the architecture is amazing. You feel like you could wander the public areas and stay entertained. The staff is amazing. They are polite and professional while providing top notch service. The check in/check out process was smooth. The pool and restaurant areas were immaculate especially the breakfast buffet which had enough variety for anyone. The atmosphere is astonishing the immense plate glass walls in the lobby look out on lush beautiful gardens and the classical music provided by the quintet of musicians fills the air with a relaxing vibe.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Thor2004
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Makati-Shang is situated in the center of Makati City. Close to everything... A lot of dining options in the area... Upon entry at the hotel lobby you can tell that it is one of the most luxurious hotels in the metro. Ayala Mall is just stone away from this hotel. The only downside is the size of standard room. It's a bit small but if you are travelling alone its okay but not with the family. Get a bigger room. I will stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank AgostoAgustin
Alice Springs
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Just getting ready to check out from the Makati Shangri-la. Overall it was an enjoyable stay. The hotel grounds are very nice and they definitely put a good face forward with a lot of personnel waiting out front to make sure that you are taken care of. The security people are polite and efficient and the bellhops and greeters always make you feel welcome. The lobby is beautifully decorated and has a nice classical look to it.
Check in was fast. It might have been a quiet time but there were plenty of staff for handling all of the customers. I had extended my stay through calling the international reservations number, and they had just made me a reservation for a second night instead of extending the one I already had, so it took some time to work that out, but it was all handled well.
I took a Horizon Club Deluxe room. It was on the 22nd floor and had a nice view over towards the park near the intersection of Ayala and Makati. Also overlooking the Manila Peninsula, where I will be staying at the end of this trip for two nights. The room is spacious enough with a bed that was very soft with plenty of pillows. The fresh fruit is a small touch, but one my girlfriend loved as she dived right in while I was still unpacking. The bathroom is nice and the supplied amenities are top-notch. My girlfriend said several times how much she liked the shampoo. The Horizon Club room also has some office equipment, such as a printer which was very convenient as we needed to print some paperwork for my girlfriend's travel insurance and were able to do so without leaving the room.
The evening cocktails at the Club were okay, but not great. The bar here was really set by the Lebua in Bangkok. At Shangri-la there is a nice little buffet to-do with a selection of snacks like chicken wings, desserts, and a cheese selection. There is a small variety of beers set out, some decent wines, although I am not a big wine drinker, and some mid-shelf spirits like Jack Daniels and Bombay Sapphire to make your own mixed drink. It was a nice way to cap off the day, but the serve yourself approach was not as luxurious as being looked to would have been.
Breakfast at the Horizon club has a similar approach, with a small buffet covering a wide range of options, including Filipino, Chinese, Japanese, and Western cuisine. This is augmented by a separate menu from which you can order eggs done your way and other items. I chose the French Toast and it was quite good, although I rarely chose to start the day with something so sweet. I cannot say you are flooded with choices, but there was more than enough for my girlfriend and me.
The cleaning staff was very polite. We were busy preparing my girlfriend's documents when he came by the first time, but we set up for him to come back shortly. I needed to drop off some things while he was here, and he was very friendly and accommodating. I always like the turn-down service at these hotels, it just adds a very welcoming touch in my opinion.
The only complaint I had for my stay was that due to the confusion over the extension of my stay, my key stopped working before my second night. I tried to take the elevator to my room, but could not select the floor because my key was disabled. This was very embarrassing as there were other people in the elevator with us, so we had to go up to their floor and back down to reception. When I told reception that my key was not working, instead of taking care of it immediately, the woman asked when I would check out tomorrow. Checking out was not my major concern at that point, having a working key so I could go to my room was. I was very let down that instead of taking care of the problem of the moment the staff was fixated on something that would happen tomorrow. Just extend my key until the latest checkout time tomorrow and let me worry about that.
Over-all my girlfriend and I enjoyed our stay here. The hotel is showing a little age in places, but I don't think it detracts from the experience. However, in terms of value, a night at the Shangri-la is almost double many of the other hotels in Manila, and still higher than other hotels in Makati, including the Peninsula. I would be surprised to find that the service or rooms are that much better, but I do not have a basis of comparison yet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple